FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#306662 - 12/08/06 03:11 PM Conditioned Responses
tkd_high_green Offline
Veteran

Loc: Vermont
Last night, I was out shopping when I met up with a friend of my mothers. During the conversation, the fact that I was in Tae Kwon Do came up, and it turned out his sons had participated for several years.

Then, later on in the conversation, out of nowhere he then proceeds to speak in a very commanding voice, "Chon-bee, Chayriot, Kunyah" and it was all I could do to resist the overwhelming urge to come to attention and bow in the middle of the packed store!

"Must...resist...the...urge...to...bow!"

Laura

#306663 - 12/08/06 05:00 PM Re: Conditioned Responses [Re: tkd_high_green]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
LOL Laura! I've done the same thing. SEVERAL years ago when I was in Middle school I walked into one of my classrooms and bowed. I played it off like I was looking at my shoe and started to retie it. You aren't alone!

Casey

#306664 - 12/08/06 07:45 PM Re: Conditioned Responses [Re: tkd_high_green]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
Yep been there and done that. Think I've mention this before, but I was out having a Thai meal with an Ex, as we left each of the staff (about 4 or 5) all bowed at various points of our departure. By the time we got out my ex was in stitches as I'd bowed back to each of the members of staff. She said I got some weird looks of some of the other customers. I didn't even notice that I'd bowed, just a way that I'm used to showing respect that was completely second nature to me however it was completely alien to my partner of the time and obviously the other customers. Made me giggle!

Another thing I've noticed I actually change my bow to fit the situation. I taught at a friends club who teaches chinese martial arts and they bow with their hands cupping a fist, rather than the japanese method of hands to the side. I automatically adopted that... even when he visit my dojo. Funny old thnigs ain't we!

#306665 - 12/09/06 02:38 AM Re: Conditioned Responses [Re: clmibb]
Derik Offline
Cruisin' for a bruisin'

Quote:

LOL Laura! I've done the same thing. SEVERAL years ago when I was in Middle school I walked into one of my classrooms and bowed. I played it off like I was looking at my shoe and started to retie it. You aren't alone!

Casey

i did almost the same thing at my work I kind of played it off

#306666 - 12/14/06 10:11 PM Re: Conditioned Responses [Re: Derik]
sunspots Offline
oldtimer/newbie
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern Oregon, USA
I cracked up my college advisor at graduation. Got through the whole ceremony and was just milling around with everyone afterwards. I said that I was nervous, but I at least I hadn't bowed to everyone on the stage. My advisor cracked up and said that I HAD. Bowed to the President of the College, the Speaker and everyone else I shook hands with. It was just automatic, and I hadn't realized I'd done it.

Edited by sunspots (12/14/06 10:12 PM)

#306667 - 12/15/06 09:52 PM Re: Conditioned Responses [Re: sunspots]
Kendo_Noob Offline

Loc: Wisconsin
Ha, its good to know i'm not alone. Several times I have found myself standing in the doorway of one of my classes preparing to bow, then looking up and seeing everybody stare at me. Then in my biology class, my teacher handed me back my test and I apparently said "Arigato gozaimashita" I carried on, looking through my test, then realized the whole room had fell silent, so I looked up, and the conversation went like this.

teacher: "What?!?"
me: "huh?"
theacher: "what is arigato go...zee...mahhs..tah"
me: "oh man... I'm tired"
---- I then went on to explain to the class and teacher about kendo... embarrassed.

#306668 - 12/16/06 10:20 PM Re: Conditioned Responses [Re: Kendo_Noob]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Nishiyama Sensei told us about some of the classes where children were taught karate by using a bamboo cane that was flexible and about the size of a man's little finger in diameter. He said that it was used to teach the children to block.

The instructor would walk around as the students were doing punching and blocking drills and if they were too slow or doing the blocks improperly, they got a thump on the top of the head. He said that it didn't take them more than a few times to learn to block the cane before it hit them in the head, and it didn't hurt at all when they were quick enough to block it. Of course, that's "oriental" training (meaning "to orient", which is to "change to match conditions"), and too many western schools would look on it as child abuse or some other abusive demeanor... but it works and works well... and I've never seen any of his students that couldn't break your arms and legs blocking... so the "conditioned response" can be functional as well as embarressing (when you forget and do something "dojo" in public).

#306669 - 12/24/06 01:31 PM Re: Conditioned Responses [Re: wristtwister]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
And here I was thinking this would be a thread about conditioned self defensive responses!

#306670 - 12/24/06 02:12 PM Re: Conditioned Responses [Re: Leo_E_49]
Dudley32 Offline
master of disaster

Loc: Indiana
I know I have called people "Sir" after class just out of habit from talking to my instructor. And of course I have bowed on accident.

Matt

#306671 - 12/28/06 05:17 PM Re: Conditioned Responses [Re: tkd_high_green]
budobrubbie Offline

Loc: Northeast U.S.
I've told this story before, so stop me if you've heard it already...Our dojo is in a shopping mall, and I've mistakenly bowed while entering JC Penney, Sears, Radio Shack, etc. Onlookers just smile and...

#306672 - 12/28/06 06:05 PM Re: Conditioned Responses [Re: budobrubbie]
Ted_Karate Offline

Loc: UK England Suffolk
I went to air cadets for the first time and they make a big deal out of standing to attention in front of senior ranks. I walked up to the leader and after finishing the conversation i automatically bowed out. Didnt make things any less awkward...

#306673 - 12/29/06 08:40 AM Re: Conditioned Responses [Re: Leo_E_49]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Back when I was MUCH younger, I was on a date with someone who didn't understand much about martial arts training. We were sitting at a drive-in restaurant when she made a movement which I caught out of the corner of my eye like she was throwing a milkshake at me. Completely without thinking, I spun toward her throwing a shuto block. Needless to say, disaster followed... The milkshake she was jokingly "throwing at me" was redirected, hit her in the face and exploded... We spent the rest of the night back at her house while she shampooed milkshake out of her hair...

Conditioned responses... not always good for you...

Conditioned responses with a moment of thought... better for you...

Luckily, she had a sense of humor...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, McSensei, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga