FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#305775 - 12/05/06 10:31 AM If you practise martial arts long enough...
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
Whenever I talk to people about martial arts, (I do this a lot) they often tell me they always wanted to take classes, but never did because of certain fears.

Mainly they say "I'm worried I might look foolish."

You don't need to worry about that. You WILL look foolish, at some point. Everyone does. It might be on your first day, it might be long after you earn your black belt.

You see, there's no such thing as a 'perfect' martial artist. There are no 'naturals'.

If you practise martial arts long enough, eventually you will...

... fall down. In front of a lot of people. They will laugh. Hopefully, you will too. Get back up, and try it again.

... feel pain. It may be from a harsh wrist lock applied by an overzealous training partner. It may be unbelievably sore muscles from overdoing it in class. Rest up, and get back in there.

... accidentally fart in class. Experienced students in class will pretend they didn't notice. That's because it's happened to them. Ignore it, and keep training.

... freeze up, and forget what you were supposed to do. This can even happen during a formal testing. Calm down, take a deep breath, and it will come to you. If it doesn't, ask for the instruction again.

... get frustrated, maybe even to the point you want to quit. Calm down, shake it out, and know that you will improve. Everyone progresses at a different pace.

So if you're new to the martial arts, remember that everyone - the student next to you, your instructor, Bruce Lee - was a beginner at some point.

There's nothing wrong with looking foolish. Like I said, we all do eventually. It's part of learning.

What else can we add to the list?

#305776 - 12/05/06 10:50 AM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: Zombie Zero]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Excellent post, ZZ! You certainly covered most of the common ones. Absolutley true that everybody has gone through the same things at one time or another.

#305777 - 12/05/06 11:19 AM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: MattJ]
ThomsonsPier Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
I like your viewpoint and was thinking something similar earlier today. I'd also like to add that I have never needed any help from the martial arts to look foolish, hurt or embarrass myself, or forget what I'm doing. All of these things happen in all walks of life. I may as well get on and train, then...

War. It's fan-tastic!

#305778 - 12/05/06 03:30 PM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: ThomsonsPier]
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
I just thought I should add some of the more 'positive' things that will happen.

If you practise martial arts long enough, you will...

... walk a little taller. Not in a cocky way, you'll just have more confidence.

... make a ton of new friends. Pretty easy to do when you're going to a place where there's a bunch of people who have the same interest as you.

... get in great shape. For instance, I'm no longer out of breath when I go up a flight of stairs.

... become happier. Good exercise leads to good energy, which leads to a good mood.

That's just a few of the many benefits martial training has to offer.

#305779 - 12/08/06 06:27 PM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: Zombie Zero]
Shouji Offline

Loc: VA
I hate farting in class, especially during the splits.

#305780 - 12/09/06 10:23 AM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: Zombie Zero]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I like this topic.

-eventually you will get kicked in the gonads

-kick someone in the gonads

-accidentally get poked and poke someone's eye

-get a fat lip and/or bleed somewhere

-tear something

-lose patience with a newb

-get to experience someone develop because of what you contributed

-come across some real crazy karate people

-hear a lot of smack talk about what you do

-convince someone who was a doubter

there's more!!!

#305781 - 12/10/06 09:32 AM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: Shouji]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I hate other people farting in class, paricularly when they have my head in a hold between their legs...

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#305782 - 12/12/06 02:10 AM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: BrianS]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
If you practice Martial Arts long enough...

- you will become a great master such as myself

#305783 - 12/12/06 03:58 AM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: crablord]
Spade Offline

Loc: Auburn, Al.
If you practice martial arts long enough...

You will self defense against a high five.

#305784 - 12/14/06 10:20 PM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: Spade]
sunspots Offline
oldtimer/newbie
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern Oregon, USA
If you practice martial arts long enough, you will eventually...

...hear someone ask if you could beat up Bruce Lee.
...hear someone ask why a woman would want to do "something like that" in a tone of disgust.
...get knocked down or out and get up and hug the person who did it to you.

#305785 - 12/15/06 01:01 PM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: sunspots]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
...have someone ask you "can you break this?"
...be asked if your hands are registered lethal weapons.
...be asked, "Can you jump up in the air, spin 180 degrees and kick me in the back of the head?... right now here in this store"

#305786 - 12/19/06 04:55 AM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: underdog]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
Quote:

...be asked if your hands are registered lethal weapons.

I get that alot

#305787 - 12/19/06 11:12 AM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: Zombie Zero]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Zombie:

<<Whenever I talk to people about martial arts, (I do this a lot)

Long as you are ~soft spoken~ about it I guess... a lot of silly people seek/want to physically do something to/with ~karottty guys~... (sic martial arts people)

Fear of hurting themselves...

Fear of BEING hurt...

Fear they will need to become a "monk" or required to "convert" to some belief/religon/philosophy something unnamed and insidious...

Fear they will never get anywhere with it, (ie it will take more than 60 seconds...)

Fear they cannot "be themselves" in the uniforms (ie no fashion, jewelry, shoes, nothing external to make them "special" )

Fear they will be required to remove their nails

Fear they will have to fight guys (ie they being tiny, everyone else far larger, heavier, angrier than themselves)

Fear they will explore their anger...

Fear it will take them away from their few minutes of "family time" they now have per week...

Fear it will cost too much (eg "...the place down the street cost my buddy $1,200 for the full year contract...")

There are lots of amusing, odd, bizarre fears...
Jeff

#305788 - 12/19/06 01:18 PM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: Zombie Zero]
Derik Offline
Cruisin' for a bruisin'

if you practice martial arts long enogh you will eventually...

fart in class and blame it on somone else

#305789 - 12/19/06 08:01 PM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: Zombie Zero]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
If you practice martial arts long enough, you'll cease to care about belts. Your belt, what belt someone else has, your next testing (if there is one) and just practice becuase you like it or it becomes part of what you do.

#305790 - 12/19/06 10:19 PM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: butterfly]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
If you practice martial arts long enough, you will eventually lose

* your temper

* your initiative

* your train of thought

* a match

* control of a weapon

* parts of your clothing

HOWEVER -

The longer you practice, the less that stuff will happen, and the less you will worry about it.

#305791 - 12/19/06 11:20 PM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: butterfly]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

If you practice martial arts long enough, you'll cease to care about belts. Your belt, what belt someone else has, your next testing (if there is one) and just practice becuase you like it or it becomes part of what you do.

This one is especially true after you go back to white belt again after being a black belt.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (12/19/06 11:20 PM)

#305792 - 04/13/07 08:04 PM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: Leo_E_49]
jpoor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Fairfax, VA
Quote:

Quote:

This one is especially true after you go back to white belt again after being a black belt.

Amen! My teacher in CA would quite frequently wear a white belt to class. Almost every new year he would start out with a white belt and any other time he felt he needed to remind himself to be humble.

edited to fix quote

Edited by MattJ (04/13/07 08:10 PM)

#305793 - 04/14/07 12:48 PM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: Zombie Zero]
Sam_Karate Offline
Stranger

Quote:

If you practise martial arts long enough, eventually you will...

... fall down. In front of a lot of people. They will laugh. Hopefully, you will too. Get back up, and try it again.

... feel pain. It may be from a harsh wrist lock applied by an overzealous training partner. It may be unbelievably sore muscles from overdoing it in class. Rest up, and get back in there.

... accidentally fart in class. Experienced students in class will pretend they didn't notice. That's because it's happened to them. Ignore it, and keep training.

... freeze up, and forget what you were supposed to do. This can even happen during a formal testing. Calm down, take a deep breath, and it will come to you. If it doesn't, ask for the instruction again.

... get frustrated, maybe even to the point you want to quit. Calm down, shake it out, and know that you will improve. Everyone progresses at a different pace.

Well, this is what I've done since I started in '97

FALL DOWN - Heaps of times: slow kicks = easy grabs and take downs

FEEL PAIN - Lots!! My forearms were pitch black after an entire training session devouted to conditioning (I hadn't trained in 2 months - I was not conditioned!); little finger dislocated in another fighters gi; broken toes; black and swollen lip... nothing major though

FART - Can't say I ever have, that I remember, know stacks of guys who have though

FREEZE - My last grading, I stuffed up one of my katas 3 times (which I have known for 6 years) and I was performing it with a junior who was going for a senior belt who got it perfect every time

FRUSTRATED - I've gotten to the point where I've wanted to flatten a few of the instructors, but that's it so far

Other things to add...
- I know a girl who vomited from nervousness at a grading
- Guys: Pants falling down (do NOT wear silk type boxers under your gi, this only encourages them to fall); this one did happen to me though, so girls, make sure you're wearing decent undies
- Girls: Belt coming undone and top opening to reveal that old sweaty sports bra
- Kicking some poor guy in the balls (so embaressing being to kicker)
- Throwing your weapons across the room (an instructor was using the nanchucks and they left his hand and hit the front wall (he was standing at the back of the floor))

Probably is many more too

#305794 - 04/22/07 04:28 AM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: Sam_Karate]
Jeff_G Offline

Loc: Midwest
you will see some really cool stuff.

Keep going and...

You will do some really cool stuff.

#305795 - 04/22/07 06:29 AM Re: If you practise martial arts long enough... [Re: crablord]
sopredictable Offline

Loc: New Zealand
Ha,ha...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga