FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 63 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
UKfightfreak 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#305645 - 12/04/06 08:54 PM Shodokan Karate Form Applications?
Dojostudent Offline

Loc: Boston, Massachusetts Near th...
Okay so I know that there are like 1,000 different moves you can do with just Heian Shodan (i don't know how to spell them, only to pronounce them sorry if they're wrong) but I'm having a hard time coming up with some moves. The most challenging ones for me is Jitte and Hangetsu.

for Jitte:what can that beginning slow motion three-hand move do? and after you do the inside cressing kicks and land in a horse stance, what does that twisting of the hands do?

For Hungetsu: Why the whole thing in a fudo-dachi stance, it seems like an awkward way to fight? also, what does that turning with the knee high in the air do?

Lastly, in Heian Gohdan, when you do the high-ex block, and then twist your hands....why? what does that do?

There are tons more but I don't want to be greedy and I know I have to come up with them myself, but just these I can't figure out. Thank you!!!

#305646 - 12/04/06 09:36 PM Re: Shodokan Karate Form Applications? [Re: Dojostudent]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
hey bud,

from my limited expirence...

jitte: the twisting the hands in considered to be disarming of a bo from an opponent. or srtiking his legs and feet with a bo you already taken from him. tho there are many non bo applications.

hengutsu: the knee turing high, i was taught, can be lefting your leg over someone trying to sweep you and from the raised postition you can kick them or stomp it down fast on their leg or foot.

heian godan: the high x block, block a high attack and twist their arm over so their elbow is facing up, this helps break there balance. or someone has grabed both your shoulders from front on, cross your hands so your right hand grabs his right, and your left his left, then the twisting motion will cross his arms over, breaking his posture and reading your follow up hammer and lunge.

these are a few i was tought, there are many, many more though. sorry i only answered a few, but thats all i know.

yours in life

#305647 - 12/04/06 09:40 PM Re: Shodokan Karate Form Applications? [Re: Dojostudent]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

.....fudo dachi in hengutsu??, as i was tought the kata only has hengutsu dachi, back stance and cat stance.

if your talking about hengutsu dachi, the kind of front stance with your lead leg turned in slightly, then try fighting someone who like to kick the groin. its designed to protect your mommy-daddy button in one way, another is ......ask the goju guys im not really fond of the inside tension stances my self. sorry.

yours in life

#305648 - 12/04/06 09:41 PM Re: Shodokan Karate Form Applications? [Re: student_of_life]
Dojostudent Offline

Thanks that gives me some insight. Any other ideas, I still don't see how an inside cressant, that hands up and then twisting them can disarm a bo?

#305649 - 12/04/06 09:50 PM Re: Shodokan Karate Form Applications? [Re: Dojostudent]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Didn't your instructor teach you bunkai with the kata?

#305650 - 12/04/06 10:01 PM Re: Shodokan Karate Form Applications? [Re: BrianS]
Dojostudent Offline

No, he wants us to try and figure them out on our own. I've learned a lot on my own, and he will verify and teach some Bunkai, but a lot of it he expects you to figure out. I have a lot more moves I'm trying to figure out, but the above ones are driving me nuts lol.

#305651 - 12/04/06 10:21 PM Re: Shodokan Karate Form Applications? [Re: Dojostudent]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

sorry my bad, i was thinking of the wrong sequence.

try this one out. the moves befor the ones in question are designed for the disarming, the crecent kicks, as i was taght are driving knees, and the bo youve disarmed is held high attacking the face, i know its not the most practical bt its all i got.

as for the disarming, here we go, after the palm strikes the hands are raised once to block a bo attack (or a simualtinous block and strike), then lowered to control it and grab it (after the block, grad the bo and force it down). then the raising again is to wrench it from your opponents hands (and strike him in the face/under the chin) and then the knee and strike to his face with the bo.

man is it ever hard to descrive bunkai over the friggen internet....sorry if it dosen't make sense, but like i said it's all i got.

also by placing your leg down and then following with your trunk twisting, you can trip someone up by forcing them over the leg youve placed behind them.

yours in life

#305652 - 12/05/06 01:09 PM Re: Shodokan Karate Form Applications? [Re: student_of_life]
JohnL Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: NY, NY, USA
Hi SoL

It's always interesting to hear differing view points on bunkai. I've put my suggestions under yours for comparison.

jitte: the twisting the hands in considered to be disarming of a bo from an opponent. or srtiking his legs and feet with a bo you already taken from him. tho there are many non bo applications.

Try and grab someones Bo and chances are you're going to end up with broken hands. Try this instead;
Move forward using your upper hand to thrust to the side of your opponents neck while using your lower hand to grab your opponents belt or pants. Switch your upper hand to grab your oponents throat. Twist and pull as in the kata while sweeping his front leg out of the way. You should end up with your opponent's back across your knee while maintaining a strong strangle on his throat.
When opponent/Partner turns blue, release.

hengutsu: the knee turing high, i was taught, can be lefting your leg over someone trying to sweep you and from the raised postition you can kick them or stomp it down fast on their leg or foot.

I like to use the move myself as a sweep followed by a stamp to any part of the amatomy that's handy.

heian godan: the high x block, block a high attack and twist their arm over so their elbow is facing up, this helps break there balance. or someone has grabed both your shoulders from front on, cross your hands so your right hand grabs his right, and your left his left, then the twisting motion will cross his arms over, breaking his posture and reading your follow up hammer and lunge.

Instead of using this as a block, thrust your hands to either side of your opponents neck, grab gi and start choking. Release the right hand slightly and pull down. As the opponent is pulled with your left hand your right will slide across his throat into a strangle. I normally follow this with a left elbow to the temple (I'm close in by now and consider the elbow the first part of tetsui or zuki, whichever you're taught) and then punch whatever's left.

Hey, no-one ever accused my karate of being subtle!!!
Try them out and let us know how they go.

#305653 - 12/05/06 01:25 PM Re: Shodokan Karate Form Applications? [Re: JohnL]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

johnl,

i like that sweep idea for hengutsu alot, thanks!

and as for the x-block chocking, lol ive learned tht one in judo, and im disapointed in myself for forgeting it, lol. its proably one of the better applications for that move too.

and about jitte, like i said i have trouble describing bnkai over the internet, thoes all seem like great ones!!.

yours in life

#305654 - 12/05/06 07:32 PM Re: Shodokan Karate Form Applications? [Re: student_of_life]
Dojostudent Offline

THey all sounds great and I never would have thought of them....they're so simple i cna't believe I couldn't see them, maybe I'm overanylizing the moves. Like for the slow hand moves in the beginning of Jitte I was thinking like ok block the initial strike with your right hand, then come across with your left hand to grab the gi, and as you bring it in your right hand comes out palm up to deliver a backfist to the bridge of the nose. And though the ending makes sense, you would never block a punch with the palm of you hand, that's kinda dumb. But that's definetly gonna help me get started with thinking of all the other applications, and I'll know where to go if I get confused again (cuz I think my instructor is getting a little annoyed with some of my questions )

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga