FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#303497 - 11/24/06 09:24 PM Another reason not to buy TKDT's Magazine
VDJ Offline
Veteran

I had posted a thread a little while back that I was going to stop buying TKDT's magazine. Mostly as it has seemed to become very pro N. Korea (Only advertising ITF-NK events, articles about ITF-NK members like in the current issue of Dr. Mencia and a past issue of Master Benny Riveria and the magazines sponsorship of trips to NK and so on).Please do not misunderstand my reference to the 2 gentleman I mentioned above, by no means am I saying they are NK sympathizers, I am only stating that they belong to the ITF headed by Chang Ung, the IOC representative for NK.But this isn't the reason for this post.

Today I stopped in at my local newstand and spotted the current issue with Dr. Mencia on the cover and thumbed thru it. In the middle of the magazine is an article titled "Street Smart TKD" written by Jesse Dean Crawfis (he also had an article a couple of issues back called "The art of kicking"). Now I am not going to get into the meat and potatoes of the article,if you have the issue you probably have already read it, some things I agreed with but most I didn't (especially HIS definiton of modern and traditional TKD kicks) which one of you must be as flexible as he is to perform the traditonal kick (not taking into consideration each individual persons body type) and I'm thinking that the magazine may have even mixed the captions up with the photo's. But again, not the reason for my post. As I was reading the article I was taking notice of how young Jesse Dean Crawfis looked. At the end of the article there was the little "About the Author" thing they usually print giving a short bio. This one stated that Mr. Crawfis held black belts in TKD, Hapkido & Okinowan Karate and is a respected martial arts "expert" and frequent contributor to various publications. As I was driving home it was sticking in my head how young Mr.Crawfis looked to me and the title of "Expert" was kind of bothering me.

When I arrived home I went on line and googled his name and his web page came up www.jessedean.com . At the top of his webpage it has things like "Writer", "Actor", "Stunt coordinator" and "Martial Arts Expert" on it as well as Bio. I clicked on his bio and made another coupleof clicks and find out that Jesse Dean Crawfis JUST turned 20 YEARS OLD in October and has OVER 15 years martial arts experience.

Here's where my problem begins ! Over 15 years experience means he started train BEFORE 5 years of age (remember, his birthday is in October, according to his website it's 10/13/86). He holds BB's in 3 different arts, now this COULD be possible if he started training in each art at the same time, or if he started one at 5, one at 10 and one at 15 he could possibly have a 1st Dan in each art , of course that leads to another issue, kiddie BB's, but let's not go there for now. My problem is the term "EXPERT" ! Rarely do I hear that term, and if I do hear it, it is coming in reference to some one old enough to be Jesse Dean's Grandfather (or even great grandfather). It is one thing to be athletically gifted as it seems the case would be for Jesse Dean, but expert ?! How does TKDT's even have the guts to print something like that ? My guess is that Jesse Dean had (has) a pretty succesful competiton record (he is really at the prime age for this), he's a good looking kid who has been succesful in breaking into films. I am also pretty certain that he has NEVER had a REAL street altercation ! I did not see his rank on his website (but I didn't look very hard for it either). This was the kind of crap that pushed me away from Black Belt Magazine as well, all the Hollywood crap that really didn'thave anything to do with serious martial arts. So let me ask the posters here, has anybody heard of Jesse Dean Crawfis before this ? What are his TRUE credentials ? And am I alone in thinking that it doesn't seem right that the term "Martial Art Expert" should be credited to someone who is only 20 years old (and I mean expert in the true sense, not being physically gifted where technique comes easy, but in knowledge, history, tradition, true physical altercations where technique application has really been tested). What do you think ? Oh, did I mention he was inducted into the Budo Hall of Fame back in June ? Comments, opinions ?

VDJ

#303498 - 11/24/06 11:21 PM Re: Another reason not to buy TKDT's Magazine [Re: VDJ]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Several comments if I may. First, the cover of TKD Times I believe is for someone who buys X amount of issues.

I think there policy is to print items submitted, but in the case of President Choi, Jung Hwa & President Tran Trien Quan, they will not include the name, just the ITF or the NGB name that submits the information. I think this policy is unfair & have stated so. However, I do understand the reason for it. They are trying to prop up the ITF-NK & downplay the ITF-C & ITF-V, in order to support the merger of the ITF-NK & WTF. The owner & CEO is very involved in the re-unification of his Country. He is using his magazine, in much the same way Ambassador Choi used his Art.

I do not know the gentleman you make inquiry about. I can not speak to his talent, experience or whether or not he can be considered an expert. For me, that judgement is much to hard to make across the Arts. It is much too difficult to compare, as all Arts have their own definitions & standards. Even the same Arts, that have different governing bodies will not be the same. I have also seen different standards apply in the same Art, within the same school, with the same instructor.

I will however address your comment by giving you what I believe is the ITF standard. To be considered an expert in the ITF, one must hold a 4th degree black belt. In addition, to be considered a qualified instructor, one must also successfully complete an international instructors course. The rank of 4th degree & above is controlled by the ITF, not the individual's school or instructor. The IIC is also given only by the ITF.
Now to get to 4th degree BB, one must study a minimum of 7.5 to 9 years. Most do it in 10+ years. In addition, one must be at least 19.5 years of age to be a 4th degree. So in theory, this gentleman could possibly be considered an expert by ITF standards. However, this above training would leave little or no room to train in another MA, to the extent that would result in earning additional BB ranks. In addition, an ITF expert (4th to 6th Dan BB) is one who is considered informed enought to teach color belts & novice BBs. Remember, an ITF Master, much different than an expert, comes in at 7th degree (at least 41.5 years old) & GrandMaster at 9th degree (minimum of 50 years of age).

#303499 - 11/25/06 04:08 AM Re: Another reason not to buy TKDT's Magazine [Re: VDJ]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I don't know the people or situations involved so I can't comment. Just want to say I've shied away from the word expert ever since I heard this difinition.

EXPERT

EX= a 'has been'
SPURT= a drip under pressure.

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#303500 - 11/25/06 10:53 AM Re: Another reason not to buy TKDT's Magazine [Re: ITFunity]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

I do not know what the policy of TKDT's is in regards to getting on the cover. If its buying so many issues, then why hasn't GM Hee Il Cho been on the cover in like forever ? He is definitley a big supporter (one of the first actually) of the magazine, as is the Instructor of one of their columnist, Doug Cook, GM Richard Chun ? As far as excluding the other 2 ITF's, shame on him for doing so ! If I'm not mistaken, ITF-C had a major competition in S. Korea last year and has established an INO there, which is huge, but Iwould like confirmation on that.

As far as using the art and the magazine to re-unify the Koreas, there's not much that I agree with MasL on, but I do with this. It is naive and silly to think that either or will change a political ideology. Using the magazine to try and merge the WTF & ITF IS playing to the politics. Do you think for one moment that if Chang Ung was not the north's IOC representative, that this would even be going on ? There can be all sorts of good intentions, but when its said and done, it is about politics !

As far as the "Expert" qualifications of the ITF, yes I am aware of them. I don't want to sound like I'm bashing Jesse Dean Crawfis, as I said, he looks to be very talented, but talent and expertise are different things. I have a problem with TKDT's printing ther article "Street Smart TKD", because it comes across as a experienced self defense instructor, and if thats what they're doing with a 20 year old kid, I want to know what his credentials are. I want to know who taught them to him, where and when did he use them in a REAL situation ! I don't want to know about winning some trophy in a national tournament, I want to know how it saved his life and at 20 I am willing to bet that he has not had that experienced without at least serving in the military ! IMO, it is misleading and I will continue to boycott the magazine ! The other thing I find odd here, is that nobody has responded to hearing about this kid, so if he's so respected as TKDT's has stated, why is that ?

VDJ

#303501 - 11/25/06 10:59 AM Re: Another reason not to buy TKDT's Magazine [Re: VDJ]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA

Quote by VDJ -

Quote:

This was the kind of crap that pushed me away from Black Belt Magazine as well

I hear you on that one. BB's lack of basic journalistic research in many of their articles has soured me on them quite a bit.

#303502 - 11/25/06 11:01 AM Re: Another reason not to buy TKDT's Magazine [Re: VDJ]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I do not know what the policy of TKDT's is in regards to getting on the cover. If its buying so many issues, then why hasn't GM Hee Il Cho been on the cover in like forever ? He is definitley a big supporter (one of the first actually) of the magazine, as is the Instructor of one of their columnist, Doug Cook, GM Richard Chun ?
VDJ

Well I do believe that is the way that someone gets on the cover. THEY have to buy a set number of magazines from TKDT. In other words, whomever wants to be on the front cover, pays a fee, which in effect, buys them a certain number of issues. I do believe GM Hee Il Cho was on, maybe more than once. I would also guess that this does not preclude them from putting someone on the front cover that did not guarantee (buy) the issues up front, when they do not have someone for that month.

#303503 - 11/25/06 11:05 AM Re: Another reason not to buy TKDT's Magazine [Re: MattJ]
VDJ Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote by VDJ -

Quote:

This was the kind of crap that pushed me away from Black Belt Magazine as well

I hear you on that one. BB's lack of basic journalistic research in many of their articles has soured me on them quite a bit.

The one that pushed me over the edge with BB was the heading on the cover "Madonna uses martial arts in her concerts". I had a bad feeling as soon as I saw Madonna's name, but when you read the clipit, it told how they were doing some wirework like in the new MA flicks. I said to myself then, thats enough of the bubble gum publication and went and used it to start a fire in my fireplace !

VDJ

#303504 - 11/25/06 11:06 AM Re: Another reason not to buy TKDT's Magazine [Re: VDJ]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

If I'm not mistaken, ITF-C had a major competition in S. Korea last year and has established an INO there, which is huge, but I would like confirmation on that.
VDJ

Yes Sir, I do agree that it was huge, historic in fact. It happened in October of 2004. They do have an INO there. I was told that many of them have left to go to the ITF-NK, but I am not certain about that. This would make sense, as the ITF-NK obviously holds the key to NK, which is very important for various reasons to the SKs.
I have also seen the the ITF-V now has representation there as well, as reported on their website. My guess would be that the largest group of ITF in SK, is the ITF-NK.

#303505 - 11/25/06 11:26 AM Re: Another reason not to buy TKDT's Magazine [Re: VDJ]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

As far as using the art and the magazine to re-unify the Koreas, there's not much that I agree with MasL on, but I do with this. It is naive and silly to think that either or will change a political ideology. Using the magazine to try and merge the WTF & ITF IS playing to the politics. Do you think for one moment that if Chang Ung was not the north's IOC representative, that this would even be going on ? There can be all sorts of good intentions, but when its said and done, it is about politics !
VDJ

Yes Sir, I see your point. However, it is not that TKD is going to change their world. It is just that the norht is the most closed country in the world. Isolated like no other. In addition, the disparity is much greater between SK (10th largest economy in the world) & NK (economy doesn't even register) than there was between E & W Germany, before they re-united. Those that are working towards re-unification & those of us who follow it closely, see that it would be disaterous for SK (& China). That is why it is important to 1=open up lines of communication & 2=help prop up the NK's economy. They of course have to do it slowly, with the effect of weakening the regime, not strenthening it.
Last week, the 1st official talks took place between the 2 Koreas, since the nuke test. Do you know what the talks were about?
Sports, fielding joint teams for the 2008 Olympics & future events. It is not that TKD or the ITF/WTF merger will solve the problems, it is just that it is a way to open much needed dialogue. It is naive to think that progress forward, can take place without dialogue. This is not only my view, but the view of SK, NK & the US Dept of State, among others (like the UN).
Talking with enemies, bitter enemies, who share little in common because of 61 years of isolation, war, sanctions, flareups etc, is very hard. It has to start somewhere. I respectfully suggest, Ambassador Choi was an early starter,going to the north in 1979 & with introducing ITF TKD there in 1980. This was an important vehicle for allowing north Koreans to travel & even live overseas. Just one small part in opening things up. JMHO

I think that is precisly why Ambassador Choi handpicked Chang Ung as his successor. Without the continued involvement & support of NK (since the 80s) the ITF would be less relavent than it is today. However, his status as an IOC Member, is what is bringing the WTF back to the table to continue their talks, under the eye of the IOC & its president. Chang Ung has voted for the continued inclusion of WTF TKD in the Olympics, which just barely passed. He has stated that not only will he withold his vote, but will lobby against its continued inclusion at the next vote (a few years). So I think the WTF knows this is crucial & the SK govt & people are pressing for this as well, as it allows for one more soft thing they have in common, that allows working, talking, that results in more sunshine & more opening. JMHO, but is clear to me & the powers to be.

#303506 - 11/25/06 02:56 PM Re: Another reason not to buy TKDT's Magazine [Re: VDJ]
EarlWeiss Offline

Mr. DJ,

Balck Belts in 3 arts in 15 years may not be so difficult, in fact he may have gotten all 3 from the same instructor. Many TKD schools have a TKD and Hapkido curriculm. How good they are I cannot say. When I was at college (1975-1977), the school there had such a curriculm.

Then, the very same instructor may very well have a Korean / Okinawan roots. thereby allowing some sort of cross certification.

What you point out is noteworthy Stated degrees mean little. A close look at the reume is a better idea. But, in almost 20 years of running a school no one has asked to see mine, with th exception of those ITF people in thearea who may have already found it on the net.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga