FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
SoulJah22 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
Yesterday at 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#303143 - 11/22/06 06:00 PM Re: Striking the arm in the clinch [Re: JKogas]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Phoenix, Arizona USA
Definitely, thats what I am talking about. Options a fighter has from the clinch as well as the okinawan perspective. Just as Grecko Roman wrestlers have a different take on it than Thai boxers, okinawan karate has their own take as well. However, there are certain skills that remain the same across disciplines. Since I wrestled in high school at the same time I studied karate I was able to use my knowledge of wrestling and apply it to my karate techniques. Just like the BJJ groundfighting perspective is different from that of a wrestler, there are certain basics that remain the same. However, each fighter brings their own unique strengths and weaknesses to the game.

#303144 - 11/22/06 06:49 PM Re: Striking the arm in the clinch [Re: hedkikr]
Saisho Offline
more than just a pretty face

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Quote:

Expecting to strike an arm that whizzing past or toward you is asking a lot

Striking someones fist when they throw a jab is easier than a lot of people think. However, even if a person has very fast hands and throws a punch, provided you can get out of the way (and we have to assume somehow you can or it is almost pointless to talk about anything but you hitting the ground), you should still be able to strike the attacker's bicep or tricep (it isn't moving as fast or as far). Even if you do not follow up with somekind of arm technique, the attacker will not throw as fast the next time.

#303145 - 11/22/06 07:10 PM Re: Striking the arm in the clinch [Re: Saisho]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
im not so sure about this, a big hook maybee but a fast jab? sounds a very well timed technique combined with very hot footwork.

anyhow I do have a nice technique, for against a 'commited' jab, from a boxers (or similair) guard as the jab comes fire your rear hand through with the intention of hitting the hand straight on with your elbow, launched by the hip.

works very well when it lands but be carefull in practise, you can seriously 'prang' their wrist (unless they have been working the maki eh).

You also dont 'offer' yourself and remained covered, with good structure

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#303146 - 11/22/06 07:23 PM Re: Striking the arm in the clinch [Re: shoshinkan]
Saisho Offline

Quote:

anyhow I do have a nice technique, for against a 'commited' jab, from a boxers (or similair) guard as the jab comes fire your rear hand through with the intention of hitting the hand straight on with your elbow, launched by the hip.

That is exactly the technique I am referring to. However, in addition to the elbow, use your lead hand to parry (it doesn't have to be a perfect parry) and bring it to your elbow. I tell my students this. It is not terribly difficult to parry a jab and it isn't hard to touch your elbow. If you parry the jab and guide it to your elbow you can hit it almost all of the time and do major damage to the hand and wrist.

We keep the elbow stationary when we practice. I have seen too many injured hands.

#303147 - 11/22/06 07:34 PM Re: Striking the arm in the clinch [Re: Saisho]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
I misread the begining of your post and focused on the striking of the upper arm aspect. yes of course the lead hand is a good way to set it up right, and also deflect it 'into' the elbow.

Im sure you work the elbow 'drop' onto a sloppy roundkick to the ribs as well then watch them hobble.

Im also using the bullwhip style kicks into the shins more and more these days, excellent technique for distrupting balance and composure to set up.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#303148 - 11/22/06 08:54 PM Re: Striking the arm in the clinch [Re: Saisho]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Sounds like you guys are referring to elbow destructions, a basic defense found in many forms of fighting and is commonly seen okinawan karate. I personally like to use such strategies to get inside on my opponent. But I personally don't like to use strikes to arms as a main defense if I am not already clinched with my opponent in some way. Not that it can't be done, but in my opinion it is not as high percentage a technique.

#303149 - 11/22/06 08:55 PM Re: Striking the arm in the clinch [Re: shoshinkan]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
From my perspective everything about an opponent is a target of opportunity.

The power of the arms is most frequently on the end where striking occurs.

Unless the opponent has undergone extreme arm conditioning for one or two decades, there arms are legitimate targets for karate kata technique.

While I don't work on the Heian Shodan/Pinan NiDan a simple example is the descending hammerfist strike that kata utilizes. Just drop the hammerfist across their strking arm, and watch that arm drop when struck.

The larger answer is more layered, but the sides of arms receive pain really well, they feel it!

There are even uses of kata technique to make sure the strike to the arm never misses, but that's another topic.

pleasantly,

#303150 - 11/22/06 10:14 PM Re: Striking the arm in the clinch [Re: medulanet]
Saisho Offline

Yes, they are often called elbow destructions, or "guntings" in FMA. I use them in two situations. First, when a person is throwing out jabs to judge the distance and "prepare" for a big strike. It is a prime opportunity to smash the hand and "ladder" up to the body. The other time is when they do commit to the big strike. I will throw a chudan uke and follow it up with the other elbow.

#303151 - 11/23/06 01:56 AM Re: Striking the arm in the clinch [Re: JKogas]
Eveal Offline
the freshmaker

Quote:

The only way to deal with the clinch is to know the clinch. Same with ground-fighting. The way to "beat" ground-fighting is to be able to fight on the ground.

Pressure points??!? Not going to do the trick.

-John

I was about to say this but you got to it like I know you would have.

First off, it is toooo hard to try to pin point any kind of pressure point on the arm during an exchange moreless in the clinch the arms are pretty tense and the effects of the hits there will not be worth the effort.

Secondly, if you are going to hit PP than look for the ones with the wider surface areas like the inner and outer gate which are commonly attacked by the MT guys.

Lastly, PP is one of those things to show off to new students and give you something else to get your knowledge in but there are still a few that has lasting effects if struck properly. Study which ones are worth keeping IMO.

Brandon

#303152 - 11/23/06 02:18 AM Re: Striking the arm in the clinch [Re: Eveal]
medulanet Offline
Professional Poster

Again, I personally don't do the pressure point thing, but rather strike larger areas I know will cause the result I desire. But do you actually think that "tensing" your arm will help REDUCE the pain and eliminate the reaction my strike causes? And why are people you have trained with so "tense" when working in the clinch? You have to understand that the purpose of striking the arms in the clinch is to elicite a specific reaction, the pain is just icing on the cake.

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga