FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >
Topic Options
#302950 - 11/29/06 02:36 PM Re: opinions on taser case [Re: sopwith21]
bearich Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH
Quote:

In cases where someone deliberately pointed an automobile at a person who not harmed the life or property of another, and killed them as a result of their aggression, then yes, you have a good point. But we both know that's not what happened 42,000 times last year so let's not attempt to mix deliberate acts of aggression with accidents.

Okay, just for my clarity you seem to believe that all 200 deaths were due to acts of aggression correct? And that because of that, they should be more-or-less outlawed correct?

Using the road related death statistics mentioned before, let's say 1% of those deaths were caused by aggression, whether intentional or the driver was merely caught up in a temporary case of road rage and didn't mean it (but it was still aggression that caused it)--that's still 420 deaths a year by aggressive driving.

Once again, do we outlaw driving? After all, it's more than likely to kill than tasers with only 1% of all road related deaths being caused by aggression. Or do we let the benefits outweigh the potential abuse?

Now bringing it back to tasers--do we outlaw tasers because of those deaths, or do we continue to allow them because of the benefits they bring society?

Remember, every time the police tase someone, substitute that with a more leathal/aggresive action, like shooting the law breaker, and tell me which you would perfer? Because after all, from what I gather, you seem to believe they fall under the same act of aggression.

How many times have tasers been used to subdue law breakers without the person losing their life? While I don't have that information, I can share this piece: In Phoenix, AZ, the number of police related shooting has practically been cut in half as the use of taser related incidents has increased (slightly over double the number of incidents). Phoenix Taser Report

Quote:

If the law requires that a person who has not harmed the life or property of another be violently assaulted, then the law is wrong and people of moral integrity have a responsibility and a duty to disobey it.

Correct, however this incident in question, the student harmed the property of UCLA by breaking their rules and causing a distrubance. I'm not going to address the portion about being violently assaulted as it is clear we both have different definitions of the word violence.

Quote:

No matter who you are or how many badges you have, you can only initiate violence against so many people before someone, somewhere puts a stop to it. Every time aggression is initiated against another individual, you have added another person to the list. You can blame them, hide behind a badge, claim that some law somewhere is in your favor, or say anything you like but one simple fact remains - if you initiate violence against enough people for a long time, somewhere, somehow, someone WILL put a stop to it.

Originally I was not going to comment on this because of the how absurd I think it is, but the more I think about it, the more I have to comment.

Let me get this straight--the police initiated the violence??? I'm sorry, but I thought it was the student who tresspassed on to the library property, the student who disobeyed police orders, and the student who refused to comply even after being warned that he would be tased multiple times before the tasing occured. You're right, the police are the ones to blame.

#302951 - 11/29/06 04:12 PM Re: opinions on taser case [Re: bearich]
bearich Offline

Loc: Dayton, OH
I just stumbled upon a great article in TIME magazine that I think fits this debate well. The article, How We Confuse Real Risks with Exaggerated Ones, is about how we allow our emotions over rule certain threats as we grow more concerned with others.

Some quotes from it:

When our emotions overtake our reasoning we worry about sensational events which are statistically unlikely to harm us such as airline disasters, shark attacks, or terrorism rather than everyday dangers that kill thousands.

. . .Princeton professor Daniel Kahneman coined "the availability heuristic": the concept that if people can think of an incident in which a risk has come to fruition, they will exaggerate its likelihood.

&

Nassim Taleb, a probability expert at the University of Massachusetts, says the first step to better risk assessment is understanding that most dramatic news images represent the exception rather than the rule.

Link: Article

#302952 - 11/29/06 04:56 PM Re: opinions on taser case [Re: bearich]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
Quote:

When our emotions overtake our reasoning we worry about sensational events which are statistically unlikely to harm us such as airline disasters, shark attacks, or terrorism rather than everyday dangers that kill thousands.

Might as well not wear a seatbelt

#302953 - 11/29/06 06:24 PM Re: opinions on taser case [Re: bearich]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
Quote:

I just stumbled upon a great article in TIME magazine that I think fits this debate well. The article, How We Confuse Real Risks with Exaggerated Ones, is about how we allow our emotions over rule certain threats as we grow more concerned with others.

Some quotes from it:

. . .Princeton professor Daniel Kahneman coined "the availability heuristic": the concept that if people can think of an incident in which a risk has come to fruition, they will exaggerate its likelihood.

&

Nassim Taleb, a probability expert at the University of Massachusetts, says the first step to better risk assessment is understanding that most dramatic news images represent the exception rather than the rule.

Link: Article

This fits well with my above comment about police perceiving things differently than ordinary citizens and doing things that might not seem "rational" based on the circumstances with which they must deal.

A few examples....

1. I had a citizen ride-along in my car a few years ago. I was driving and chatting, trying to give some insight to our job and what we might encounter during our shift. We got a call of shots fired in a local neighborhood and (of course) I hit the gas...hard . The lady riding with me grabs her door handle and braces herself as she has no idea what it was that we were responding to . I tell her we are going to someone shooting a gun. Her response? "Whyyy..are we going over there?" It was inconceivable to her that we would actually drive toward the gunshots when we were perfectly safe just driving around listening to the radio.

2. Another friend of mine in an unmarked patrol car (with red and blue lights) makes a traffic stop on a guy involved in a road rage incident where he got out and beat on someone else's car at a redlight. The guy refuses to stop and leads them on a short chase before stopping in a convenience store parking lot. He then gets out and runs around his car before crouching down and pulling something out of his waistline. My friend draws his gun thinking he is pulling out a weapon. The guy pulls out the object and points it at the officer. It was a cell phone. My buddy's reluctance to shoot saved the driver's life but could have cost him his own if he had gambled wrong. It would have been a riteous shoot.

#302954 - 11/29/06 06:42 PM Re: opinions on taser case [Re: Fletch1]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Good lord, that idiot will never realize how lucky he was that the cop didn't shoot him dead right there.

#302955 - 11/29/06 07:29 PM Re: opinions on taser case [Re: sopwith21]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

Why not?

If the continued inflicting of tremendous pain (commonly known as torture) is acceptable in order to force a free citizen in a free country to obey the dictates of the state, death is merely a natural extension of that same process.

Ummmm, no.

Quote:

Why is this same principle fair, just and righteous up to the point of death but unacceptable if it causes death?

Because in this country we have the right to live. Our right to be pain-free is given up when we begin resisting police officers.

Quote:

And if any logic can be assigned to that position,

You must be using a very loose definition of logic

Quote:

then surely officers around the nation would demand the banning of tasers because they've killed nearly two hundred people who defied the state's orders.

200 out of likely tens of thousands that have avoided being shot or otherwise permanently injured.

#302956 - 11/30/06 11:45 AM Re: opinions on taser case [Re: MattJ]
sopwith21 Offline

Quote:

In the middle of arresting someone resisting, the officer is supposed to stop, and give you his/her badge number?

If the law require an officer to produce his badge number upon request, are you suggesting that the officer break the law? And if he does break the law, what moral authority does one criminal have to arrest another?

#302957 - 11/30/06 11:52 AM Re: opinions on taser case [Re: sopwith21]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Quote:

In the middle of arresting someone resisting, the officer is supposed to stop, and give you his/her badge number?

If the law require an officer to produce his badge number upon request, are you suggesting that the officer break the law? And if he does break the law, what moral authority does one criminal have to arrest another?

Note AGAIN how you avoid answering my question. I gave a very reasonable answer to your question already. You keep repeating an obviously idiotic point. The officer is not breaking the law if he is in the middle of doing his duty, restraining a suspect. You can get the badge number when he's done.

How about answering my question now.

#302958 - 11/30/06 11:55 AM Re: opinions on taser case [Re: Fletch1]
sopwith21 Offline

Quote:

It seems that you are arguing simply to argue.

I am opposing aggression regardless of who commits it. I wish you would, too.
Quote:

What if another officer needs help and is getting beaten up while officer Joe and officer Bob are carrying someone who has decided to "passively resist"? What if officer Bob injures himself trying to carry a "passive resister" and cannot respond to help a fellow officer who has been badly injured himself?

Why are Bob and his friends attacking someone who has not harmed the life or property of another in the first place? If they could manage to live in peace with the rest of us they wouldn't have to worry about getting beat up or injuring their backs while initiating force against a person who has not harmed anyone else.
Quote:

This is the assumption of risk clause taken to the next level.

"I certify and declare that I have been advised and duly considered the consequences of my actions. I understand that physically resisting the cops either actively or passively is a hazardous practice that will likely result in a great degree of physical discomfort on my part. I acknowledge that this physical discomfort can be experienced in the form of bending a twisting of my limbs and appendages, blunt force trauma from being taken down and/or struck with impact weapons, facial and eye irritation from OC Pepper spray, shocking from a Taser or being shot with a firearm. I do fully accept the risks listed here as the possible and likely consequences of my actions and take full responsibility holding noone liable but myself."

Here's another assumption of risk clause to consider:

I certify and declare that I have been advised and duly considered the consequences of my actions. I understand that initiating force against another human being is likely to get me shot, killed, injured or maimed. Such injury is strictly due to my own insistence in initiating violence against another human being and cannot be absolved by any badge or court or law, and I richly deserve any injury I receive during an attempt to initiate force against a person who has not harmed the life or property of another. As a mature adult I accept responsibility for my actions and will make no attempt to justify my violent nature and accept any injury that I receive during such actions as justice.

#302959 - 11/30/06 12:08 PM Re: opinions on taser case [Re: bearich]
sopwith21 Offline

Quote:

Okay, just for my clarity you seem to believe that all 200 deaths were due to acts of aggression correct?

Do police us tasers against subjects armed with deadly weapons? Of course not. They use firearms in such encounters. Tasers are used primarily against unarmed people. And yes, I consider an attack against an unarmed person as an act of aggression. Were police not involved in our analogy, I bet you would, too.
Quote:

do we outlaw tasers because of those deaths, or do we continue to allow them because of the benefits they bring society?

The Second Amendment prohibits outlawing weapons for private ownership. I am suggesting that they be banned from police use.
Quote:

Remember, every time the police tase someone, substitute that with a more leathal/aggresive action, like shooting

I'd prefer to substitute it with a less lethal action. Like leaving people alone unless they have harmed the life or property of another.
Quote:

we both have different definitions of the word violence.

I consider shooting someone with a projectile that delivers 50,000 volts of electricity causing immense pain, disability, possible death and a disruption of the central nervous system to be a violent act. Call me crazy.

Have you ever been shot with one... or perhaps three? Could the experience have any effect on your re-definition of "violence?"
Quote:

Let me get this straight--the police initiated the violence?

Did the student tase the police, or did the police tase the student? Did the student demand state papers from the police, or did the police demand state papers from the student? Did the student initiate a confrontation with police, or did police approach the student?

I can't wait to hear the verbal gymnastics on this one.

Page 9 of 11 < 1 2 ... 7 8 9 10 11 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga