FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 11
trevek 6
JKogas 5
cxt 5
TaekwonDoFan 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 05:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432447 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >
Topic Options
#302715 - 11/28/06 04:54 AM Re: Diet [Re: Stampede]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Stampede, I could tell long before you got to the supplementation that you were a T-Nation guy .

Points to consider:

1.If you lose form on an exercise at 50lbs, then you are not doing that exercise at 50lbs. therefore your max is 45lbs at that specific lift. Dont kid yourself. Its good that you have reigned in the weight in favour of form.

2.Your supplementation programme is heavy. i agree with you that biotest turn out some good stuff (Mag-10 RIP), and I have used Tribex gold for its muscle sparing qualities with some success, but i also found Hot Rox to be terrible and mess my systems up completely. The trouble with 'stacking' supplements is not the expense (your money, your business), but rather the question of what is working and what isn't. With patience, and cycling supplements individualy, you can decide if they give you an effect, and if so, know that they are worth putting in a stack in the future. If no benefit is noticed, you know you can save your cash.
You may have already gone through this process, if so fair enough, if not, its worth considering.

3. Your training routine is geared for pure functional strength which can then be applied to your MA, yet you are eating like a bodybuilder- and a big one at that. If your goal was hypertrophy, or even if your weekly strength work was of higher volume and duration with 'strongman' type work and a slightly more complex split cycle, I would say the elevated protein could be justified, but you simply dont, and it simply isnt.

i notice that you, like so many others are a little 'phobic' of carbs. I dont care what T-nation say, good natural complex carbohydrates, and the energy they provide can not be adequately replaced by energy drinks and shakes.

I like your training outlook, and know where you are coming from with your goals and methods, I just think you need to reign everything in a little and apply a more judicious approach to your eating and supplementation.
Efficiency applies to all aspects of your training- not just exercise. throwing supplements down your neck with no way of evaluating their effects is not efficient.

Cord.

#302716 - 11/28/06 01:39 PM Re: Supplements [Re: JoelM]
Stampede Offline
Lord of the Kazoo

Loc: El Dorado, AR
Quote:

How much protien are you getting? Seems like a huge number.

Usually around 250g.

Quote:

Seems like a dead-set diet that would get boring very quickly, have you been doing this for long?

It's not as locked in as it seems. Keeping with eating as much non-fastfood as possible, the diet I outlined gives me enough flexibility to keep things interesting.

Quote:

I think you spend as much on supplements as I do on my mortgage.

Only around $250 a month

#302717 - 11/28/06 02:08 PM Re: Diet [Re: Cord]
Stampede Offline
Lord of the Kazoo

Quote:

Stampede, I could tell long before you got to the supplementation that you were a T-Nation guy .

What gave me away?

Quote:

Points to consider:

1.If you lose form on an exercise at 50lbs, then you are not doing that exercise at 50lbs. therefore your max is 45lbs at that specific lift. Dont kid yourself. Its good that you have reigned in the weight in favour of form.

I apologize for not being clear. The shoulder rolling and pain did not occur during the lift. Two days after the last workout using the 50lbs DBs, I began having a grinding sensation in my left shoulder and noticed my posture was not exactly kosher. This had not been occurring previous to the workout, so I felt that lift at that weight was the cause. (I have slight vertebral damage at T2,3)

Quote:

2.Your supplementation programme is heavy. i agree with you that biotest turn out some good stuff (Mag-10 RIP), and I have used Tribex gold for its muscle sparing qualities with some success, but i also found Hot Rox to be terrible and mess my systems up completely. The trouble with 'stacking' supplements is not the expense (your money, your business), but rather the question of what is working and what isn't. With patience, and cycling supplements individualy, you can decide if they give you an effect, and if so, know that they are worth putting in a stack in the future. If no benefit is noticed, you know you can save your cash.
You may have already gone through this process, if so fair enough, if not, its worth considering.

I agree with you here. I have tried each on a case by case basis, and have stuck with the ones that work. The fish oil I have taken for some time as it helps alleviate some of the problems which come from my collection of damaged nerves and young(er) stupidity.

Quote:

3. Your training routine is geared for pure functional strength which can then be applied to your MA, yet you are eating like a bodybuilder- and a big one at that. If your goal was hypertrophy, or even if your weekly strength work was of higher volume and duration with 'strongman' type work and a slightly more complex split cycle, I would say the elevated protein could be justified, but you simply dont, and it simply isnt.

Currently, yes. I use the 5x5 as my go-to program, and after it tend to go to strength-hypertrophy cycle, then back to strength. Pure hypertrophy workouts have only ever caused me problems.

Quote:

i notice that you, like so many others are a little 'phobic' of carbs. I dont care what T-nation say, good natural complex carbohydrates, and the energy they provide can not be adequately replaced by energy drinks and shakes.

The heavy protein intake and somewhat lower carb intake is due to a problem I have with carbs. I can tolerate carbs coming from milk and vegetables, and can tolerate starches sometimes. Depending on the alignment of the planets, I can have breakouts of rashes and blisters, insomnia, elevated heart rate, profuse sweating, and the like, concurrent with a "normal" carbohydrate intake.

Also, I tend to drop weight (water, fat and muscle) when I eat less than 3500kcal, and have severe headaches when I don't have around 190+ grams of protein a day for three or more days.

And yes, I write down EVERYTHING I eat, and anything related to my training and general health.

Quote:

I like your training outlook, and know where you are coming from with your goals and methods, I just think you need to reign everything in a little and apply a more judicious approach to your eating and supplementation.
Efficiency applies to all aspects of your training- not just exercise. throwing supplements down your neck with no way of evaluating their effects is not efficient.

Cord.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read through my log, and for sharing your experience. I am not trying to second-guess you in the above quotes, and appreciate any and all suggestions. I will be reevaluating my diet and training, and will see what I could change to improve the efficiency and safety of my overall program.

Again, thanks.

Edit: Fixed quotes

Edited by Dereck (11/28/06 03:13 PM)

#302718 - 11/28/06 05:40 PM Re: Diet [Re: Stampede]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
It sounds like you have adapted what you need in accordance with your experiences. If you have found what works for you, then thats awesome. I was merely concerned that you had bought into the more extreme end of the advise on t-nation without exploring less supplement heavy avenues. A lot of people would try and walk on water if that site said one of their tablets could make them do it, and whilst I rate them, many of the articles and theories do have a linked agenda with their supplements.

This is clearly not the case, so keep going buddy, i like the routine FWIW.

#302719 - 11/28/06 09:41 PM Re: Diet [Re: Cord]
Stampede Offline
Lord of the Kazoo

Quote:

It sounds like you have adapted what you need in accordance with your experiences. If you have found what works for you, then thats awesome. I was merely concerned that you had bought into the more extreme end of the advise on t-nation without exploring less supplement heavy avenues. A lot of people would try and walk on water if that site said one of their tablets could make them do it, and whilst I rate them, many of the articles and theories do have a linked agenda with their supplements.

This is clearly not the case, so keep going buddy, i like the routine FWIW.

I definetly appreciate the feedback; I know it may not seem like it, but I do have the ability to empty my cup, so if you see anything you think should be addressed in my training, I will definetly appreciate your letting me know.

That's one of the reasons I've decided to go with a public log; so I can grow.

#302720 - 11/28/06 09:47 PM Karate 11:28 [Re: Stampede]
Stampede Offline
Lord of the Kazoo

My warmup is the same for weights, with the addition of:

Two-Man Basics (attacker and defender)
Seisan Bunkai (another two-man drill using Isshinryu's Seisan kata as a building block)

Workout
15 Upper Body Basics (5 techs/side)
10 Lower Body Basics (5 techs right/6 left)

Seisan
Seiunchin
Sanchin (Note: I do not do dynamic tension, with the exception of those weeks when I am not doing any assisted resistance training)
Naihanchi
Wansu
Chinto
Kusanku
Sunsu

Normally at this point, I do four kata, each eight times, working on a specific technical aspect; flow, focus, imagined application potential, or technique-based cardio conditioning. Today being my break-in week after my respite, I did only Kusanku no Sai eight times, focusing on decent technique at a medium pace.

Cooldown

Upper and Lower Body Stretching

Edited by Stampede (11/28/06 09:49 PM)

#302721 - 11/29/06 07:15 PM Re: Supplements [Re: Stampede]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

Quote:

Only around $250 a month

You are definitely in a different tax bracket than I.

It'll be nice to see your training methods, good luck with the training and log.

#302722 - 11/30/06 12:52 AM God Bless Hot Water [Re: JoelM]
Stampede Offline
Lord of the Kazoo

Just got out of a tub filled with VERY hot water - heals most wounds.

Workout Today:

Same Warmup, Workout as yesterday, add:

Sunsu x 8 - steady flow, working on finding "sections" which seems to be setup-engage-disengage, as well as kinetic energy flow

Naihanchi x 4 - same as above

Chinto x 4 - Same as above

Naihanchi/Chinto x 4 -flow from the end of Naihanchi into Chinto, repeat. Working on taking the implied twisting and spinning motion of Naihanchi, transferring it to Chinto, and back.

Upper and Lower body stretching

Tomorrow is weights, and I don't get my 8 hours of sleep. Teh sadness.

#302723 - 11/30/06 12:58 AM Re: Supplements [Re: JoelM]
Stampede Offline
Lord of the Kazoo

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Only around $250 a month

You are definitely in a different tax bracket than I.

It'll be nice to see your training methods, good luck with the training and log.

That was a bit of embellishment. I spend no more than $150 a month, mainly on protein and vegetable powder. I'm a student, and love 20 minutes from anything, so I often have my food on the go. Protein and vegetable powder are excellent for the road warriors among us.

As far as the training, I'm fairly kata-centric, though I love working all points of the force continuum.

#302724 - 11/30/06 05:42 AM Re: Supplements [Re: Stampede]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
Quote:

I spend no more than $150 a month

that all?

Page 2 of 9 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga