FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 37 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#302502 - 11/19/06 07:10 PM info on the o katana
hanzokatana Offline
Stranger

hey all....i need some info on the o katana from cold steel.....does anyone kno if it has a full tang

#302503 - 11/19/06 11:23 PM Re: info on the o katana [Re: hanzokatana]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
I would suggest taking your query over to http://www.swordforum.com

There is a wealth of reviews already in place and a lot of people there who can give you a good assessment of any particular sword from Cold Steel.

#302504 - 11/20/06 03:10 PM Re: info on the o katana [Re: hanzokatana]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Republic of Texas
Full Tang, no. That's what your kitchen knives have.

3/4 Enclosed tang (like all good blades), yes. However, that's only a small measurement of a good sword.

I do not do business with Cold Steel do to the deceptive marketing presented in their older marketing videoes (I haven't seen "Solid Proof"). This included presenting loosely wound beach mats as full tamashighiri targets (You can't even see the problem unless you pause the video to look at the gaping hole in the center) and crushing a cinderblock with the spine of a sword (nice, until you realize you could do the same with your fist and acting like a crowbar is nothing like what a sword really does).

Cold steel is a cheap, Chinese based company that makes half-decent blades. However, I will not do business with them on principle.

Edited by Benjamin1986 (11/20/06 03:12 PM)

#302505 - 11/24/06 10:44 PM Re: info on the o katana [Re: Benjamin1986]
hanzokatana Offline
Stranger

Quote:

.I do not do business with Cold Steel do to the deceptive marketing presented in their older marketing videoes (I haven't seen "Solid Proof"). This included presenting loosely wound beach mats as full tamashighiri targets (You can't even see the problem unless you pause the video to look at the gaping hole in the center) and crushing a cinderblock with the spine of a sword (nice, until you realize you could do the same with your fist and acting like a crowbar is nothing like what a sword really does).

Cold steel is a cheap, Chinese based company that makes half-decent blades. However, I will not do business with them on principle.

well if u havent used a sword for actual combat, where here it is very evident that you have not tasted combat yet then u shouldnt mock cold steel or any sword maker and i asked for info on the sword not your opinion on the creators of the sword

#302506 - 11/24/06 11:04 PM Re: info on the o katana [Re: hanzokatana]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

I think you should cut him some slack. He is not the only person to have posted concerns about the integrity of the company in question. It is relevant feedback to your query. If an automaker whom I was considering purchasing a vehicle from had a history of lying about the safety of it's vehicles, I would want to know.

As for you comment about engaging in real sword combat... you should word your posts more carefully. Nobody does that anymore. It was a silly thing to post.

#302507 - 11/25/06 04:15 PM Re: info on the o katana [Re: hanzokatana]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

HK, no I haven't ever been in a duel. They are very rare, you know, and the police often frown on the winner. However, that doesn't detract from my ability to judge the quality of steel. That is like saying a person cannot judge whether a gun is good or not unless they have been shot.

And asking about a sword is exactly the same as asking about it's smith. For example, Paul Chen has bad quality control. Angelsword is wonderful but too darn expensive. SwordStore is one of the best places in the world to get a good deal on traditional katana, but they are still quite expensive. Blue Gauntlet has a terrible time tempering their foils, so it may either snap the first time you use it or bounce around like spaghetti. All these are important aspects of their respective companies.

What I gave was an evaluation of the company. The quality of the forging is more important than the design itself (which almost always boils down to personal taste and body size), and bad advertisement is a very important part of evaluating quality.

#302508 - 11/26/06 01:34 AM Re: info on the o katana [Re: Benjamin1986]
fatguy Offline

I find your evaluations rather intriguing Ben, being new and not knowing any of these smith's leads me to ask where you came up with these conclusions? Do you own one or two from each brand or just collected information from forum and real life friends?

#302509 - 11/26/06 12:45 PM Re: info on the o katana [Re: fatguy]
Benjamin1986 Offline
Enthusiast

A bit of both. I own an Angelsword Rapier and a number of foils from various companies. I've seen enough trash blades coming out of Blue Gauntlet that point I am convinced they have a monkey doing the tempering. One foil snapped it's tip off when I tightened the barrel (it had been used for only a week), and my head epeeist has one so soft that when parried, it sometimes wraps itself around my blade. It's extremely annoying.

The rest of the conclusions, I've come to through friends and various discussions. Paul Chen's (also known as Hanwei) quality control problems are of legendary proportions. It has become better in recent years, but they have a notorious reputation for unreliability.

Also, I'm pretty sure about SwordStore considering they are regulated by the Japanese government but still manage to maintain relatively low prices. They're good.

#302510 - 11/26/06 10:03 PM Re: info on the o katana [Re: Benjamin1986]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Swordstore is an American company. Only their Japanese smithed blades fall under Japanese regulations.

#302511 - 11/26/06 10:19 PM Re: info on the o katana [Re: Benjamin1986]
fatguy Offline

Quote:

Paul Chen's (also known as Hanwei) quality control problems are of legendary proportions.

These wouldn't happen to be the Hanwei swords from CAS Iberia would they?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga