FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 48 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#302285 - 11/25/06 10:19 PM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: Victor Smith]
Boomer Offline

Loc: York, Pa
The whole reason I began this post was because I'm disappointed with people's perception of shotokan, what it really is, and what it should be.

Student of Life...first, let me say that I didn't consider anything you said to be "flaming". I enjoy lively debate and discussion... and I constantly stir the pot just to get a reaction. I think you made valid points.

I did not post those vids to rag on anyone. I thought the bassai dai was atrocious, and was not endearing of shotokan. Not only was the technique average at best, there was no kind of "crispness" to it. Funakoshi said that your enemy must be ever present in your mind... and that is how kata should be performed, especially at shodan level.

I tend to think of karate in a "jutsu" manner...and not so much in the way of "karate do". I don't like the association shotokan has with "kroddy"...it seems like we are quickly moving towards a sport.

If only I could convince my dad to call his style "shotokan karate jutsu"....but as Victor said, my dad's a great teacher...and all great teachers are quite stubborn. Me....I'm to greedy to learn and train myself to be a "great" teacher. I'll settle for being a decent one that b!tches about the way things should be.

#302286 - 11/26/06 11:57 AM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: Boomer]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
you said you prefer the term jutsu over do, can i ask why?

the answer i come up with is that many of the hard core guys feel that when they hear some one say i pratice a "do" it,in a way gives them a reason to slack off in the intensity of their training. and the jutsu guys see this as a weekend warior kind of karate-ka.

i could be wrong, i usualy am, let me know why tho bud.

yours in life

#302287 - 11/26/06 12:53 PM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: Boomer]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Boomer,

I don't think we've talked about this but I choose to name my program Bushi No Te Isshinryu because over 30 years ago I saw a lot of the ways the term 'karate' was being used and choose to replace it with Funakoshi's term for the original Okinawan Arts 'Bushi No Te'.

This was before I met Mr. Sutrisno and his Bushi No Te organization (a different use of the term).

If I was doing it today (having learnt more about what was happening and older terms) I'd probably not use any older terms at all.

I understand your desire to change from Do to Jutsu, and I really think you can make a case for it, I know you.

But names and traditions (the one's we've experienced) die hard, and even I use the term karate, just with much more awareness of how many layers of meaning that name has come to represent.

#302288 - 11/28/06 05:09 PM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: student_of_life]
Boomer Offline

Loc: York, Pa
Quote:

you said you prefer the term jutsu over do, can i ask why?
the answer i come up with is that many of the hard core guys feel that when they hear some one say i pratice a "do" it,in a way gives them a reason to slack off in the intensity of their training. and the jutsu guys see this as a weekend warior kind of karate-ka.

I don't know if it makes me "hard core".....but that's more or less the gist of it. Many of the "do" people who I know and even train with have a type of mentality like that... and I admit that I have a lot of contempt for those who still wear a black belt, but do not train like one. Either they "already know everything", or they just want to bask in their own ego juice, barking orders at mudansha.

I don't mean that if you're injured, ill, or elderly, you should 'hang it up' because you cannot train the way you did in your prime. That's different. But even my dad at age 67 still puts in work, learns new things...and sweats.

I do understand the ideal Funakoshi was going after by calling it "karate do". We should live as karate ka, not just go to the dojo 3 nights a week. As my dad says (since we keep bringing him up ),"There's a big difference between 'going to church' and 'attending mass'".

#302289 - 11/29/06 08:47 AM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: Boomer]
Barad Offline

Explicitly practicing a "-do" form seems to fulfil a spiritual need for some martial artists, who seem to revel in pretending they are Japanese, modern samurai (bizarrely for karate people) or quasi-holy warriors of some kind. People who would laugh at the moral constaints of Christianity (for example) get all moist about the precise details and implications of Funakoshi's dojo code, as if it was a serious guide to life, as opposed to a self-evident list of approriate behaviour more suitable for children. Personally, as a Westerner, I do not find that I can easily adopt the precepts of Zen Buddhism (I also doubt most karate practicioners really understand what the do/tao is that they sometimes claim to follow) and certainly not Shintoism but this hardly detracts from the practical aspects of karate training. Rob Redmond at 24 Fighting Chickens has much more sensible stuff to say about this, whcih I find I largely agree with.

#302290 - 11/29/06 04:34 PM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: Barad]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
there are lots of reasons for people to loose interest in their training over the years, and as for the spirituality stuff, thats different for ever one. personally, i get enough satisfaction with putting on a good sweat. and as as zen goes, i've read my share, and from what i've read i like it and think it goes hand in hand with most religons.

Boomer: nice answer, i don't really agree, but nice answer.

#302291 - 11/29/06 04:48 PM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: Boomer]
olga Offline
TKOlga
TKOlga

Loc: northern virginia
Third one is hilarious. I'm sure it's not real. I bet for their next fight they dressed up as Obi Wan Kenobi and Darth Maul and duked it out with light sabers!

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga