FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#302265 - 11/18/06 03:58 AM "shotokan" makes me cry
Boomer Offline

Loc: York, Pa

#302266 - 11/18/06 07:46 AM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: Boomer]
JasonSmith Offline

Loc: York, PA
The first one made me sick, the second one made me go to sleep, the third one woke me up with the pathetic "Kiaa, Kiaa", and the fourth one made me want to go back to sleep..
As far as the last clip, though...

#302267 - 11/18/06 09:00 AM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: Boomer]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

It does...when it's like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrGO7RQBbRs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7UgWAbbv10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfFxA8d2374

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9bH00BfLNM

But then this made me smile, and evrything was ok again :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v38XQJgK7W0

First one - Cant type while vomiting.

Second one - Pretty sure I saw the "sine wave" in there, LOL.

Third one - That has to be a joke. It better be a joke.

Fourth one - WTF? Xtreme Shotokan?

Last one - Kyokushotokan?

#302268 - 11/18/06 10:54 AM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: MattJ]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
i think even i could beat the third guys!!!

#302269 - 11/18/06 10:54 AM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: Boomer]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

I think I seen the thrid clip in a Monty Python sketch

#302270 - 11/18/06 11:41 AM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: Prizewriter]
Victor Smith Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Derry, NH
Truthfully,

The first wasn't anything related to Shotokan. Shotokan (as designed) doesn't do Nunchaku. Shotokan (as designed) can't do what that performer does, which is in the extreme martial arts category, a newer development on the martial arts scene. I'm far more tolerant to what people do, but dislike the mislabeling.

The 2nd video is someone practicing bassai-dai kata. A student is always a reflection of the instructors abilities as well as their own potentials. He's working on his form, for that we must congragulte him, but not knowing the individual or his path it's unfair to comment on what you see, unless this is the standard of their group.

It's fair to comment on the performance but kindly explain what you would do different, and understand anything may be reality. The person might have a great instructor and is working at their full potential. One video tells us little after all.

The 3rd video is not karate. I don't know what it is, but it is not karate. I'm grateful they didn't hurt themselves making the video, I hope. I would loose sleep if they hurt themselves doing that.

The 4th video is misnamed. Shotokan never kicks while drinking. I have that on good authority I think.

Finally Enoeda Sensei demonstrating one application. Fine for him, not one that does much for me. He's a senior instructor and is fair game to comment on. I would much rather see how he makes that work against someone really attacking. It may just be a basic trianing guide, but my vision of Shotokan is from an entirely different path of technique execution.

most pleasantly,

#302271 - 11/18/06 12:04 PM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: Boomer]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
shotokan, at least in todays world, has become synomnious with "krotty".

the videos that made you cry were froma host of different backgrounds.

the kid with the glow in the dark nunchku, thats what alot of people call martial arts now a days. there all happy, why bother them.

the second video. don't make me some to your house and call you down for every thing your not the best at. the guy is trying, and learning, lay the &*%^ off.

the third video. like i said the word shotokan is being thrown around alot,what they call them selves is up to them. im sorry it makes you cry, you want a hug? if your saying these guys don't make the shotokan "cut", go live in a cave and write the next five rings why don't ya.

fourth video. just some guy in his bastment with a video camera showing of his stuff, when did that ever hurt anyone??

and as for Enoeda, that made you smile? to each his own i guess, but if you get to post your personal preferences on here and mock people honestly trying then here i go. the deepest sign of disrespect psoible from a traditional martial artist, Enoeda is sport, his take down was for a sport situation. you can try it out in a self defence role, but i won't.

#302272 - 11/18/06 03:20 PM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: Boomer]
bo-ken Offline
Veteran

Loc: beaver falls, PA, beaver
Those are not what I would call Shotokan either. Well the second video wasn't too bad. It looked to me as though he is still learning Bassai Dai.

The last video was good. Although I would like to see that technique used on someone with there hands up. I don't know how other Shotokan school were trained but keeping guard your was the first thing we were taught.

#302273 - 11/18/06 06:41 PM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: student_of_life]
Boomer Offline

Finally! some (almost) controversy! For so long it seemed that everyone was so caught up in the political correctness of everything they say that they worried about everyone's feelings getting hurt...to the point where no one ever got around to making the point.
Thank you, student of life.

Quote:

the second video. don't make me some to your house and call you down for every thing your not the best at. the guy is trying, and learning, lay the &*%^ off.
the third video. like i said the word shotokan is being thrown around alot,what they call them selves is up to them. im sorry it makes you cry, you want a hug? if your saying these guys don't make the shotokan "cut", go live in a cave and write the next five rings why don't ya.
fourth video. just some guy in his bastment with a video camera showing of his stuff, when did that ever hurt anyone??

None of this hurts anyone, of course. But geeze...you would think that before you publish your crappy stuff on the internet, you'd have some skill.
That Bassai Dai was atrocious....so let's put it on the web! I mean, would you post a vid on the net labelled "shotokan" where it would sit next to Enoeda and Kanazawa if your form was as bad as that guy's? I call it fair game if it's out there.

And you made exactly the point I was pushing with your first line:
Quote:

shotokan, at least in todays world, has become synomnious with "krotty".

That is what makes me cry...

#302274 - 11/18/06 07:03 PM Re: "shotokan" makes me cry [Re: Victor Smith]
Boomer Offline

Quote:

and as for Enoeda, that made you smile? to each his own i guess, but if you get to post your personal preferences on here and mock people honestly trying then here i go. the deepest sign of disrespect psoible from a traditional martial artist, Enoeda is sport, his take down was for a sport situation. you can try it out in a self defence role, but i won't.

Quote:

Finally Enoeda Sensei demonstrating one application. Fine for him, not one that does much for me. He's a senior instructor and is fair game to comment on. I would much rather see how he makes that work against someone really attacking. It may just be a basic trianing guide, but my vision of Shotokan is from an entirely different path of technique execution.

It wasn't Enoeda Sensei....it's a clip of Masao Kawasoe....

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga