FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 9
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
VDJ 2
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#300501 - 11/09/06 08:21 PM "Taming the Tiger" by Tony Anthony
MikeChaff Offline

Loc: England
A little while ago, a friend of mine lent me this book; it's meant to be the autobiography of this guy who's a Kung Fu master and World Champion who beats up a lot of people, goes to prison and then becomes a born-again Christian and then procedes to pooh-pooh the martial arts as promoting 'false spirituality'.
Has anyone else read this "true" *cough cough yep and I'm a tomato cough cough* story? What were your thoughts? Do you think he's genuine?
Don't get me wrong, I didn't object to his Christian message. I found the book to be quite inspirational. I objected to his unlikely claims and his sweeping, unclarified statement that martial arts = spawn of Satan.

#300502 - 11/10/06 02:26 PM Re: "Taming the Tiger" by Tony Anthony [Re: MikeChaff]
vashtheblade Offline

Every one has there own view and control of there own actions. those with power must be prepared to deal with it. I dont trust a guy who is being a hypocrite and besides the sprituality becomes your own if you actualy learn anything from martial arts. Stay open to his ideas but dont take it to heart with out some thought

#300503 - 11/11/06 05:47 PM Re: "Taming the Tiger" by Tony Anthony [Re: vashtheblade]
MikeChaff Offline

To be fair, I don't think he really claimed that the martial arts were directly responsible for his actions. I think his agenda was more to do with renouncing MA on the grounds that they in some way offer alternative spiritual messages to Jesus.
I just wish he'd elaborated on this point a little. It was almost a throwaway note at the end of a chapter; considering the way he'd structured the beginning of the book, I was surprised to find that this point was not developed at all, of faith and the martial arts and how they relate to Christianity. Much was written on all three of these points, but no discussion really of how they all worked together. Quite a frustrating read for me, as a martial arts enthusiast!

#300504 - 11/13/06 08:04 AM Re: "Taming the Tiger" by Tony Anthony [Re: MikeChaff]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
I've just ordered this and its sequel, for next week, I as a Christian myself do not believe Martial Arts are 'The Spawn of Satan'. It is the individual fighters who use it to commit murder are the Evil ones.

MA teaches humility etc, we have Kokoro (Attitude), this is a concept that crosses through many martial arts, but has no single discrete meaning. In context, it means something like "heart," "character," or "attitude." Character is a central concept in karate, and in keeping with the dō nature of modern karate, there is a great emphasis on improving oneself. It is often said that the art of karate is for self-defense; not injuring one's opponent is the highest expression of the art. Some popularly repeated quotes implicating this concept include:

"The ultimate aim of Karate lies not in victory or defeat, but in the perfection of the character of its participants." - Gichin Funakoshi

"The Way is not meant as a way of fighting. It is a path on which you travel to find your own inner peace and harmony. It is yours to seek and find." - Hironori Ohtsuka

Respect is another very important part of karate; it is about cleansing oneself and strengthening character. The spirit of "osu" is to push onself to the limit of one's ability, to persevere under pressure, to endure. This is why it is said that "Karate always begins and ends with rei."

This is "Christian" not "Satanic"

Ken

#300505 - 11/13/06 09:26 AM Re: "Taming the Tiger" by Tony Anthony [Re: Dobbersky]
MikeChaff Offline

Well, I couldn't quite figure out why there had to be such a big difference between martial arts and Christianity - why one couldn't be used to express the other.
Please post back here after you have read it and tell me what you made of it! I know what my standpoint as a martial artist is, and the friend who lent it to me is a Christian, but I'm curious what a Christian martial artist might make of it!

#300506 - 11/13/06 11:05 AM Re: "Taming the Tiger" by Tony Anthony [Re: MikeChaff]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Mike-san

With pleasure I will let you know what I thought of the book(s) and whether it changes my views etc

Ken

Ken

#300507 - 11/15/06 05:57 AM Re: "Taming the Tiger" by Tony Anthony [Re: MikeChaff]
Gavin Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southend, Essex, UK
I managed to get about a third of the way through the book, by the time he got to prison I just got sick of the fantsy land fighting. True story... my a$$... unless he spent a large portion of his life eating dodgy mushrooms.

#300508 - 11/15/06 07:48 AM Re: "Taming the Tiger" by Tony Anthony [Re: Gavin]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

So Gavin

Does it fall into the University of Frank Dux then?

Ken

#300509 - 11/15/06 12:59 PM Re: "Taming the Tiger" by Tony Anthony [Re: Dobbersky]
MikeChaff Offline

I would say it's definitely going that way. Interestingly, there's no record anywhere in the world of him having won a Kung Fu world championship. I looked.
My assessment of the situation was that he made up some kung fu type BS in order to have the book appeal to the sort of target audience he wanted to 'convert' to Jesus - maybe to good effect, since I only read it because my friend thought it would interest me as a martial arts fan. Like I said, I didn't object to his Christian message at all, I'm just not sure how spreading tales that are clearly untrue, in the name of Jesus Christ, is appropriate.

#300510 - 11/16/06 07:33 AM Re: "Taming the Tiger" by Tony Anthony [Re: MikeChaff]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

I think I should write a book myself but if you read my poll in Karate forum, I'm still searching for perfection. I'm just a normal Martial artist who doesn't have any championships etc just like 95% of MA's but would my book be read Mmmmmmmm

Ken

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga