FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 22 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Today at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#300478 - 11/09/06 02:11 PM Momentum does'nt go just one way
djemboy2 Offline

Loc: Florida USA
hi
i'm gettin to like this forum, as you can probably tell, i have read and heard in a few places that age old line "i bet Aikido couldnt do well against a boxer", i have to disagree with this, it strikes me that these people who believe that to be fact are only getting half the picture, i was thinking about all the facts that supported this staement, and i think lateral thinking may be holding a lot of people back, what i mean by that is that a punch is a two part thing, first part is the punch being thrown, this is what most people see and try to defend against, but if thrown by a boxer, the boxer will not over commit, hence the problem, what i dont get is why the second part of the punch process isnt focused on, this is the part where the arm is retracted, and that is where the Akidoka should focus, i'm not saying that everyone studying Aikido should now only work on arm retractions, but its probably going to be easier to subdue an opponent that is trained in another fighting art, for one who would expect it, secondly unless its a double jab then chances are the use of that arm has expired and it is now a guard, and as we all know that if you are to the side of your attacker its pretty hard to punch effectively across the body at an opponent who is out of range.
just my thoughts about a system i see more in every time i look

#300479 - 11/13/06 03:56 PM Re: Momentum does'nt go just one way [Re: djemboy2]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Does Aikido have any techniques to use against a retracting arm? I think that would be even harder to manage (in a grappling sense) than when it's coming at you. I know that Wing Chun trains a lot to "follow" the retracting arm with a struke of their own, but I am not familiar with similar stuff in Aikido.

#300480 - 11/14/06 02:48 PM Re: Momentum does'nt go just one way [Re: MattJ]
djemboy2 Offline

Loc: Florida USA
there are techniques for directing the opponents arm backwards, shionage is the one that comes to mind, i just think that this idea that if someone is a trained martial artist or fighter then Aikido wont work, personally i think that its probably the most effective style there is.

#300481 - 11/15/06 11:42 AM Re: Momentum does'nt go just one way [Re: djemboy2]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
You were talking about a punch followed by a retraction.
Shihonage is an overhead strike (think bottle, club). There are lots of dandy responses to that. Just field that striking arm before it starts on the way down.

#300482 - 11/16/06 07:59 AM Re: Momentum does'nt go just one way [Re: iaibear]
Goldsbury Offline
Stranger

Loc: Hiroshima, Japan
Quote:

You were talking about a punch followed by a retraction.
Shihonage is an overhead strike (think bottle, club). There are lots of dandy responses to that. Just field that striking arm before it starts on the way down.

Are you sure about this? I believe that shoumen-uchi is an overhead strike or cut and shiho-nage is a throw with the focus on the striker's elbow or shoulder. It can be devastating and most of the deaths in Japan during aikido training have been caused by this throw, death coming from concussion as the head strikes the ground.

Best wishes,

#300483 - 11/16/06 10:43 AM Re: Momentum does'nt go just one way [Re: Goldsbury]
iaibear Offline
Veteran

Loc: upstate New York
<< I believe that shoumen-uchi is an overhead strike or cut >>

You are absolutely right. I should never post when I am that tired. Thanks for catching it.

#300484 - 12/01/06 11:06 PM Re: Momentum does'nt go just one way [Re: MattJ]
belvedere Offline

Quote:

Does Aikido have any techniques to use against a retracting arm? I think that would be even harder to manage (in a grappling sense) than when it's coming at you. I know that Wing Chun trains a lot to "follow" the retracting arm with a struke of their own, but I am not familiar with similar stuff in Aikido.

Nope. True Aikido offers no techniques for "going after" a retreating opponent. Sorry.
-Belvy

#300485 - 12/21/06 02:03 PM Re: Momentum does'nt go just one way [Re: belvedere]
Jamoni Offline
Veteran

Loc: St. Louis, MO, USA
The reason a boxer can throw a punch without overcommitting is that he is using that moment to bring the other hand into play. It's a huge mistake with a boxer to try and focus on grabbing his hands until you've first gotten him to commit. Focus instead on overall movement and positioning. For instance, slipping past him, and as he turns to face you, using THAT momentum for your techniques, or backing away from him at an oblique angle so that he MUST move towards you and reach with his punches. Bear in mind that boxers are used to people trying tricky footwork. Still, Aikido has the tools to deal with a boxer, if you train against boxers in a useful way.

#300486 - 12/21/06 09:06 PM Re: Momentum does'nt go just one way [Re: belvedere]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
Belvy,
I don't know where you get your information, but you need an update. There are plenty of irimi techniques that use the retreating opponent's body structure and movement to implement throws and pins... in fact, most irimi techniques use that "unguarded moment" when someone is either advancing or retreating.

Learn the six basic techniques, and then use a few years of bokken practice, and you'll find plenty of aikido applications for "retreating opponents"... in fact, you'll help them retreat in many cases... usually with this effect on them ... especially with weapons (jo and bokken).

#300487 - 12/21/06 09:38 PM Re: Momentum does'nt go just one way [Re: wristtwister]
belvedere Offline

All of my information comes straight out of Black Belt magazine, of course! hehe Seriously though, what you refer to as "retreating" above, I would define more as reacting. An opponent, or uke does not "retreat" because their attack is ineffective and nage is moving, they are reacting to the new situation and trying to regain their balance. Even in bokken, a step back isn't a "retreat". I'm always open to info updates though, so keep them coming. I'm going to reread my Webster's now and see what "retreat" means.

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga