FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
333kenshin, BradleyCameron, markwn, John057, TigerandDragon
23240 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
TigerandDragon 1
March
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6 7
8 9 10 11 12 13 14
15 16 17 18 19 20 21
22 23 24 25 26 27 28
29 30 31
New Topics
Recent Posts
Forum Stats
23240 Members
36 Forums
35700 Topics
432769 Posts

Max Online: 488 @ 01/23/20 01:55 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#300389 - 11/09/06 07:36 AM Leading finger jab
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
Does anyone use this technique when they spar or train? I have had to fight against a buddy who used it quite effectively. It obscures my vision when he puts it out in front of my face. You go to grab or trap it and realize it was just bait to elecit a response to create an opening in your guard.

When someone uses it well, it is a longer weapon than a regular jab, faster than a regular jab, and a bit more difficult to counter. And as an offensive weapon, it is probably the fastest and most economical strike to use.

I am still tryin to get my mechanics down right to use it effectively. Just like everything else, do it wrong and it might get you hurt.

Scottie

#300390 - 11/09/06 07:48 AM Re: Leading finger jab [Re: RazorFoot]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
I have had them done to me as well. A student once popped me in the mouth with one, and while not a KO by any means, it was quite painful, and works well to set up a harder second strike.

#300391 - 11/09/06 04:48 PM Re: Leading finger jab [Re: MattJ]
Spade Offline

Loc: Auburn, Al.
I'm not familiar with this technique, is it basically jabbing with your hand in the form of a gouge?

#300392 - 11/09/06 05:02 PM Re: Leading finger jab [Re: Spade]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

...is it basically jabbing with your hand in the form of a gouge?

The way that I do it is. I have to say that I'm not the biggest fan of this technique however.

-John

#300393 - 11/10/06 01:52 AM Re: Leading finger jab [Re: JKogas]
TheRealChen Offline

Im not a fan of it much either though its a great grappling move if he doesnt know how to do an arm bar.

#300394 - 11/10/06 02:56 AM Re: Leading finger jab [Re: TheRealChen]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
I would do it as a counter in order to get in close range so I can smother my opponent with a straight blast or elbows.

A jab is a jab no matter what tool you use.
Vinci

#300395 - 11/10/06 06:49 AM Re: Leading finger jab [Re: TeK9]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
My point wasn't to say that the eye jab doesn't or can't work. I believe it could be successful some of the time. No one can say for sure because it's a difficult move to hit on your training partners.

Now I've been hit in the eye by guys wearing BOXING gloves (of all things). You'd not think that could happen, but those of you that have boxed can probably relate.

My eye was watering, my vision was a little obscured (not a great deal because I still had some vision and that of the other eye) and although it was a little uncomfortable, I wouldn't really consider it painful.

What I have always done with success when that sort of thing happens and I'm being fired upon is just to crash right into the "energy" and clinch up, where I don't really need to "see" to begin with.

That is one benefit of doing pummeling with your eyes closed (as well as ground grappling).

-John

#300396 - 11/13/06 11:25 AM Re: Leading finger jab [Re: JKogas]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
And some tools are more successful against some people than others. Done against me as a striker, it was pretty effective. Done against a trained grappler like JKogas, you are pretty much just pissing him off, lol. Which is why I am attempting to increase my grappling skills with time.

It is the quick short movement that gets people. In most cases where it has been effective (both on me and when using it), the person using the technique sticks the arm out in front, obscuring the vision and leaving it about a foot from target. There hope is that you will think easy target and try to grab and isolate the arm. Doesn't work that way. It is bait pure and simple. You reach for the out stretched hand and open your guard to which they take full advantage. If you ignore it and just try to maneuver around it, that is when they shoot it into your face/eyes.

It takes a little skill, like everything else, but if used well, another good tool to have.

Scottie

#300397 - 11/13/06 10:39 PM Re: Leading finger jab [Re: JKogas]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Quote:

Quote:

...is it basically jabbing with your hand in the form of a gouge?

The way that I do it is. I have to say that I'm not the biggest fan of this technique however.

-John

Now I thought oyu were against using open hand strikes?
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#300398 - 12/12/06 11:06 PM Re: Leading finger jab [Re: Stormdragon]
Mormegil Offline

I find it akward to do while sparring, as I'm usually wearing boxing gloves.

On the other hand, wearing gloves would make it even more effective at obscuring your opponent's view. Maybe I should try it more.

If anything, it's also great for bridging the gap.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga