FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 14
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 4
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432455 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#300140 - 11/09/06 01:38 PM Re: Debunking Taekwon-Do Myths [Re: Umbra_777]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

My understanding/strategy is this:
When you are using your kicks to keep your opponent at range you keep your hands lower and your body loser in order to increase your spead and make it easyer to block kicks. If he moves in close to you then you bring your arms up and tuck your chin.

That just doesn't cut the mustard for me. I prefer to keep my hands up the whole time. When at longer range, your guard can be more mobile and looser, but you should still keep your hands up ready to guard any head shots.

#300141 - 11/10/06 11:21 AM Re: Debunking Taekwon-Do Myths [Re: Supremor]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Quote:

That just doesn't cut the mustard for me. I prefer to keep my hands up the whole time. When at longer range, your guard can be more mobile and looser, but you should still keep your hands up ready to guard any head shots.

Regarding the hands up thing, this isn't only in TKD but in other martial arts as well ... not to mention the sport of boxing. If you watch enough boxing, and I have, you will notice many a fighter who have unorthodox fighting styles and have their hands down. So this is not just something TKD is bad for.

#300142 - 11/10/06 02:51 PM Re: Debunking Taekwon-Do Myths [Re: Dereck]
dinodude73 Offline

Loc: MN
Wow over 2000 hand strikes I had no idea there were that many, I guess I have alot of training ahead of me!
Great article thanks

#300143 - 11/10/06 09:30 PM Re: Debunking Taekwon-Do Myths [Re: dinodude73]
TaekwondoWned Offline

Moot.

As much as I love Taekwondo, its definitely less effective than the kickboxing/ring arts like boxing and muay thai. Im sure you guys like TKD also but you have to admit that this article didn't do much to debunk anything.

-Taekwondo has hand strikes. Okay. Great. So what? The problem w/ both ITF and WTF is that people train these hand strikes in forms. Training forms does nothing for your real fighting skills. The ITF allows head punching. So what? The hand flailing, point-hungry punching style of the ITF isn't much better than teaching yourself boxing by watching Rocky... You need to train hand strikes in sparring to make it work.

-Taekwondo does have low kicks in the forms? Again. So what? Forms don't mean anything. You need to train forms in a realistic, live environment. Realistic, live environment = sparring.

-Forms aren't dead training? Please... You can memorize all the katas/poomsaes/hyungs in the world and do them a thousand times over each and you still wouldn't be a better fighter than somebody who spars correctly and realistically on a regular basis.

#300144 - 11/10/06 11:59 PM Re: Debunking Taekwon-Do Myths [Re: TaekwondoWned]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Most strikes cannot be done in contact sparring because they hit vital areas of te body. pen and strikes can best be practiced as step sparring. Before you immediatly assume step sparring to be as formal as forms/patterns. There are many ways to alter step sparring. For one let go of the traditional stances and stand in a casual stance, second have your atacker attack in an upright stance which is more realistic.

Also keep in mind that in self defense it is very unlikely that the person acttacking you will be a trained fighter, there fore makesure you know how to read your opponenets body language. A non trained attacker will telegraph. Many ways to spot these things.
Vinci

#300145 - 11/11/06 12:09 PM Re: Debunking Taekwon-Do Myths [Re: TaekwondoWned]
ITFunity Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Moot.

As much as I love Taekwondo, its definitely less effective than the kickboxing/ring arts like boxing and muay thai. Im sure you guys like TKD also but you have to admit that this article didn't do much to debunk anything.

-Taekwondo has hand strikes. Okay. Great. So what? The problem w/ both ITF and WTF is that people train these hand strikes in forms. Training forms does nothing for your real fighting skills. The ITF allows head punching. So what? The hand flailing, point-hungry punching style of the ITF isn't much better than teaching yourself boxing by watching Rocky... You need to train hand strikes in sparring to make it work.

-Taekwondo does have low kicks in the forms? Again. So what? Forms don't mean anything. You need to train forms in a realistic, live environment. Realistic, live environment = sparring.

-Forms aren't dead training? Please... You can memorize all the katas/poomsaes/hyungs in the world and do them a thousand times over each and you still wouldn't be a better fighter than somebody who spars correctly and realistically on a regular basis.

I agree, but the mistake you make is putting the fault on the Art Form of Taekwon-Do. It is not the Art, IMHO that is wrong, but the student, instructor, training methods employed & the disregard of the training/advancement syllabus designed by the Founder, Ambassador Choi, Hong Hi.

One of the reasons that TKD gets a much deserved bad rap, as an effective SD system is that there are so many schools. It is the world's most popular MA. However, what most people see & train is NOT a MA, but rather a martial sport & babysitting service.

I think the way I believe Mr. Anslow trains his charges, is similiar to my understanding of the syllabus. I do think that if more people fully understood the Chang Hon or ITF syllabus, they would not have these critiques. The much deserved criticism should be placed on the instructors & groups that teach such a watered down version of a great MA.

A prime example of this is 1 step sparring. According to the syllabus, this is introduced at 6th gup green belt level. The OPPONENTS, not partners, do in fact take a relaxed stance facing each other. The attacker is required to strike to hit, without letting the opponent know it is coming. There is no 1st stepping back into another stance before attacker, you just attack & try to hit.
In addition, these 2000 hand techniques are to be trained against focus pads, heavy bags & live OPPONENTS under realistic conditions. I believe these are many of the same tactics employed in the combat Arts systems.

It has been my experience in over 30 years of study, spanning 4 decades, that it is the instructor, the false instructor, the ill or uneducated instructor who cheats their students by not following the syllabus of the Art, as designed by the Founder. This is compounded by the vast amount of schools that exists. This is true with most things that are mass produced. For example, find a great restrurant. Try to duplicate it & it is hard. Different Chef, harder to find the food products in certain areas, etc.
TKD's problem is further compounded by so much emphasis on sport fighting, which most of us know, does little for street SD.

This should not be construed to mean that TKD can be AS effective as a combat system of SD, where the entire emphasis is on SD. It is just common sense if one's focus is on 1 area, than that area will be more fully developed. I think that goes without saying.

#300146 - 11/13/06 08:22 PM Re: Debunking Taekwon-Do Myths [Re: TaekwondoWned]
StuartA Offline

Quote:

Moot.

Not that I agree with your first line as what do you based this conclusion on? As for not 'debunking' anything - it doesnt if you already know, but many dont hence myths become truths!

Quote:

Taekwondo has hand strikes. Okay. Great.

Actually it was TKD is mostly kicks - which many believe due to the sport kicking aspect. So debunked!

Quote:

The problem w/ both ITF and WTF is that people train these hand strikes in forms. Training forms does nothing for your real fighting skills.

As I say in the book, I differeniate fighting from self defence. Fighting is what you end up doing if SD goes wrong!

Quote:

The ITF allows head punching. So what? The hand flailing, point-hungry punching style of the ITF isn't much better than teaching yourself boxing by watching Rocky...

This is competition and based on a rule set. I could just as easily say the kickings rubbish in boxing as that has a rule set too! You are talking sport, the article is talking martial arts!

Quote:

You need to train hand strikes in sparring to make it work.

Yup, hence traditional sparring, hosinsul, pattern based sparring etc etc - there are many training methods to incorporate hand strikes!

Quote:

Taekwondo does have low kicks in the forms?

Again, it says "TKD has no low kicks" - it doesnt say just in forms!

Quote:

Again. So what? Forms don't mean anything. You need to train forms in a realistic, live environment. Realistic, live environment = sparring.

Yup - mentions that in that section of the article!

Quote:

Forms aren't dead training? Please... You can memorize all the katas/poomsaes/hyungs in the world and do them a thousand times over each and you still wouldn't be a better fighter than somebody who spars correctly and realistically on a regular basis.

Again you refer to fighting - sparring is not fighting, sparring is sparring. And fighting is not self defence, fighting is what you end up doing when your self defence goes wrong!

Stuart

#300147 - 11/13/06 11:14 PM Re: Debunking Taekwon-Do Myths [Re: StuartA]
TaekwondoWned Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Moot.

Not that I agree with your first line as what do you based this conclusion on? As for not 'debunking' anything - it doesnt if you already know, but many dont hence myths become truths!

Quote:

Taekwondo has hand strikes. Okay. Great.

Actually it was TKD is mostly kicks - which many believe due to the sport kicking aspect. So debunked!

Quote:

The problem w/ both ITF and WTF is that people train these hand strikes in forms. Training forms does nothing for your real fighting skills.

As I say in the book, I differeniate fighting from self defence. Fighting is what you end up doing if SD goes wrong!

Quote:

The ITF allows head punching. So what? The hand flailing, point-hungry punching style of the ITF isn't much better than teaching yourself boxing by watching Rocky...

This is competition and based on a rule set. I could just as easily say the kickings rubbish in boxing as that has a rule set too! You are talking sport, the article is talking martial arts!

Quote:

You need to train hand strikes in sparring to make it work.

Yup, hence traditional sparring, hosinsul, pattern based sparring etc etc - there are many training methods to incorporate hand strikes!

Quote:

Taekwondo does have low kicks in the forms?

Again, it says "TKD has no low kicks" - it doesnt say just in forms!

Quote:

Again. So what? Forms don't mean anything. You need to train forms in a realistic, live environment. Realistic, live environment = sparring.

Yup - mentions that in that section of the article!

Quote:

Forms aren't dead training? Please... You can memorize all the katas/poomsaes/hyungs in the world and do them a thousand times over each and you still wouldn't be a better fighter than somebody who spars correctly and realistically on a regular basis.

Again you refer to fighting - sparring is not fighting, sparring is sparring. And fighting is not self defence, fighting is what you end up doing when your self defence goes wrong!

Stuart

What are you talking about? I was debunking YOUR debunking. Stop being so naive.

#300148 - 11/13/06 11:57 PM Re: Debunking Taekwon-Do Myths [Re: TaekwondoWned]
StuartA Offline

Quote:

What are you talking about? I was debunking YOUR debunking. Stop being so naive.

Naive - lol! That, I cannot assure I am not.
Good come back btw - not!

There area lot of misconceptions surrounding TKD, hence the article (which was an excert from a book on Ch'ang Hon TKD btw). Unfortunatly, though I am very open to all honest views, you actually didnt debunk the debunk, just twisted a few of the things around and made some comments!

Out of interest, what style do you practice?

Stuart

Edited by StuartA (11/14/06 12:11 AM)

#300149 - 11/14/06 06:30 PM Re: Debunking Taekwon-Do Myths [Re: StuartA]
TaekwondoWned Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Naive - lol! That, I cannot assure I am not.
Good come back btw - not!

There area lot of misconceptions surrounding TKD, hence the article (which was an excert from a book on Ch'ang Hon TKD btw). Unfortunatly, though I am very open to all honest views, you actually didnt debunk the debunk, just twisted a few of the things around and made some comments!

Out of interest, what style do you practice?

Stuart

proud Taekwondo and Judo guy (hopefully BJJ will be added as well)

Look, all I'm saying is taekwondo as practiced by 95% of the tkd population and how its practiced generally in modern times is inferior to some other striking arts. If someone asked me to recommend a striking art I would not say TKD.

I would say kikcboxing, san shou, muay thai, or kyokushin karate or boxing

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga