FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 35 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#299931 - 11/08/06 01:36 PM Re: Dishonor? [Re: harlan]
jamesjj Offline

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Quote:

You mean...to unburden yourself? To act...selfishly?

But isn't the most selfish act to ask someone to have bad Karma for the sake of yourself? There is no worse thing to ask of a person than to lie for your cause. Not giving information that affects everyone is lying. To ask someone to keep a secret is to ask them to lie for their entire life if neceessary, that imo is the ultimate act of selfishness.

#299932 - 11/08/06 01:42 PM Re: Dishonor? [Re: jamesjj]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I don't recall asking anyone being asked to keep a secret...in this scenario. I'm also unsure, myself, if a secret is the same as a lie.

I guess I would have to ask myself...'what is the compassionate thing to do...or not do?' For me, it comes back to intent.

I read an interesting saying on an Aikido forum the other day, that I've been thinking on:

'O-Sensei taught us to be merciful, not to be nice.'

Compassionate view and action...isn't always 'nice'.

#299933 - 11/08/06 03:16 PM Re: Dishonor? Hell yes! [Re: cxt]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Quote:

Storm

You ought to go back and read my post.

Like I said, you have little room to BMW about someone else breaking the "rules" since you broke the "rules" yourself.

Why should the person that caught you cheating be held to higher ethical standard than you apply to yourself?

(BTW--the Corp takes a very dim view of people that try and "shortcut" things--;) )

As I mentioned--its not always about "you."

"You" may not care--perhaps the other guy did?

Perhaps the teachers cares?

And they acted on THIER feelings just as you did.

Nobody is perfect--certainly not me.

But you make your own choices--so you have only yourself to blame or reward.

That's hard, but that's life.

I'm not mad at him anymore, I jsut had to cool down. I think I was more angry with myself for gettign caught, and more so for not being responsible in the first place.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#299934 - 11/08/06 03:29 PM Re: Dishonor? Hell yes! [Re: Stormdragon]
stormbringer Offline
Extraordinaire

Loc: Florida
That's definately cool, and I think most people are reiterating accepting responsibility for your actions. What's happened has happened and just go foreward.

#299935 - 11/08/06 04:55 PM Re: Dishonor? Hell yes! [Re: cxt]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

CXT, I never complained that HE broke rules becuase he never did, I did.
Anyway, I realise the Corps is vehemently agaisnt that sort of hting, and I'm trying to work o nthat. I'm just counting on being interested enough in what they do to not shot change myself.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#299936 - 11/08/06 05:32 PM Re: Dishonor? Hell yes! [Re: Stormdragon]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
when I was at school cheating on tests was an art of deception..............

we were never caught, let this be a lesson to you boy !

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#299937 - 11/08/06 06:07 PM Re: Dishonor? Hell yes! [Re: shoshinkan]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Quote:

when I was at school cheating on tests was an art of deception..............

we were never caught, let this be a lesson to you boy !

What he said. It's an art of deception. I just haven't learned to never get caught yet.

#299938 - 11/08/06 11:43 PM Re: Dishonor? Hell yes! [Re: Stormdragon]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Well, a large part of military strategy (and by extension MA) IS about deception.

What's the issue here? Are you confused about your moral value system? Or the fact that someone has imposed an ethical framework upon you by exposing your deceit? Or that you harboured feelings for evening the score?

I'm confused....

#299939 - 11/09/06 12:01 AM Re: Dishonor? Hell yes! [Re: Stormdragon]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

Yes, I'm sorry Joel but I do know where I'm going. After high school I'm goign to college for a couple years, where I'll study exercise physiology, sports medicine, sports psychology and business.
Then I will join the U.S. Marine Corps and serve in the infantry for 4 to 6 years while training in MCMAP to attain at least a 2nd degree black belt in their program if not higher. After that I plan to be a personal trainer and teach martial arts and self protection on the side. I will have a family and I'd like to then have a nice house and whatnot.

That's nice, good luck with that (I do mean that sincerely). Go around to a bunch of 40-somethings and ask them if their life went exactly how they planned it. Get back to me when you get the answers.

Quote:

About oyur issue with my spelling, that has no relevance to this discussion and was a waste of my time. You wasted the 5 seconds or so it took me to read that. In any case I'm an honors english student; I'm currently reading Moby D ick for recreation and recently read 1984.
I simply type fast.

Well here, let me waste another 5-10 seconds of your life for you. If you go through and make a post with a bunch of spelling errors it makes you look like you're not intelligent. Unless you're going to preface or end every post with "I'm an honors english student; I'm currently reading Moby D ick for recreation and recently read 1984.
I simply type fast." then people won't know. Plus it's just lazy and annoying. That's my personal opinion and I don't care what you think about it. There, was that 10 seconds or so wasted of your time? You want some more? Do ya? Huh? Huh? I didn't think so!!

Quote:

Dont come to me with this condescending attitude like you're so much better than me becuase you know what you're not. Sorry to break that to you.

That's really funny, because I broke the same thing to you in my post. Or were you too lazy to read it? You know, at the end, where I said "No, I'm not perfect. Never said I was." Yeah, go back and read it buddy. Never said I was better than you and I wasn't being condescending. As I said, it's my job to yell at people for doing things wrong, and it [censored] me off when that happens, especially when things were done decietfully wrong.

This one takes the cake:
Quote:

You dont really know me so dont judge me.

Whereas in your very first post you ask to be judged:
Quote:

How much did I lie and how dishonorable is this that I didn't say anything (granted that the act of cheatign was dishonorable to begin with)?

Make up your mind.

You only complain when others don't conform and call you a sneaky little boy with what you did.

Or you can just follow crab's advice and ignore me. I have my opinion and am free to voice it. I doubt I'm likely to change yours, nor you mine.

Good luck on your next test.

#299940 - 11/09/06 01:00 AM Re: Dishonor? Hell yes! [Re: Stormdragon]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

Then I will join the U.S. Marine Corps and serve in the infantry...

I have areas where I'll freely admit I'm plenty dishonorable but in other areas I honorable and show integrity.

Even a murderer / child molester can be honourable in "some areas"

This will be very good reference material when you go for the USMC recruitment interview. Perhaps they can teach you something about what honour is all about.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga