FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 5
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#299242 - 11/04/06 11:28 PM A Number of Questions
MastaFighta Offline

Loc: United States
1. What are good exercises for increasing/sharpening your reflexes and reaction time?

2. What are good exercises for easing the shifting of your body weight?

3. What are good exercises for increasing your coordination?

4. Are there any kind of exercises that strengthen your joints?

5. Does anyone have a link to a site that explains how to walk/jog/run properly? Preferably one with a lot of detail and/or pictures/videos.

6. What are good stretching techniques for your wrists?

7. When moving in sports or Martial Arts, are you supposed to not let your feet overlap each other when taking a step?

#299243 - 11/10/06 08:45 PM Re: A Number of Questions [Re: MastaFighta]
MastaFighta Offline

Anyone?

I apologize for double-posting. I just want to know what people know regarding answers to my questions. I know I can look these questions up, but I feel that no site can compare to what you can learn on these forums.

#299244 - 11/12/06 02:29 AM Re: A Number of Questions [Re: MastaFighta]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Thats a lot of questions for one post. Why not try to seperate them into individual threads? Then you could add your thoughts to each subject as well. Some good questions there.

#299245 - 11/12/06 11:58 AM Re: A Number of Questions [Re: MastaFighta]
underdog Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mansfield, MA U.S.A.
I don't know your rank and that makes a big difference in how to answer your post. I shall answer as if you are beginner to mid color belt rank. If this is not appropriate for you, maybe it is right for another reader.

To quicken reaction reflex time, take your school drills, kumite, self defense drills and practice them slowly and correctly until you want to throw up. You will be building proprioception (muscle memory). If you work slowly, you will be doing the exercises correctly. It isn't a matter of practice makes perfect, it is a matter of perfect practice makes perfect. There is some kind of logic and skill building for your school drills. Work them and they will work for you.

For easing the shifting of your body weight, work kata slowly. Work flow drills. Use a hoola hoop. Do exercises to strengthen and stretch your core muscles of the torso.

For stretching wrist, I like to take a club or bo and hold it in the stretching hand. I move the hand through its ranges of motion and then apply pressure on the bo or club with the other hand to add a little pressure. You could also use the basic wrist locks with a parter, the kotegash, nikyu, sankyu, forward wrist press, and with a partner, each person holds the lock at the set point for a minute and then switch hands and sides.

#299246 - 11/12/06 01:52 PM Re: A Number of Questions [Re: underdog]
MastaFighta Offline

Quote:

I don't know your rank and that makes a big difference in how to answer your post. I shall answer as if you are beginner to mid color belt rank. If this is not appropriate for you, maybe it is right for another reader.

To quicken reaction reflex time, take your school drills, kumite, self defense drills and practice them slowly and correctly until you want to throw up. You will be building proprioception (muscle memory). If you work slowly, you will be doing the exercises correctly. It isn't a matter of practice makes perfect, it is a matter of perfect practice makes perfect. There is some kind of logic and skill building for your school drills. Work them and they will work for you.

For easing the shifting of your body weight, work kata slowly. Work flow drills. Use a hoola hoop. Do exercises to strengthen and stretch your core muscles of the torso.

For stretching wrist, I like to take a club or bo and hold it in the stretching hand. I move the hand through its ranges of motion and then apply pressure on the bo or club with the other hand to add a little pressure. You could also use the basic wrist locks with a parter, the kotegash, nikyu, sankyu, forward wrist press, and with a partner, each person holds the lock at the set point for a minute and then switch hands and sides.

I was a Black-Blue belt in Taekwondo, a rank below Black Belt.

We don't have self-defense drills, nor did we practice kumite unless you are refering to sparring. If you are refering to sparring, then there's nothing I can do in that area since I no longer attend the school nor are they around anymore.

Over six years since I left the Taekwondo school is bad for the memory as I do not remember any of the katas/forms.

What are flow drills?

What does a hoola hoop have to do with easing your bodies weight when sifting? By shifting, I mean moving around and having to change directions suddenly with ease.

I appreciate the replies.

#299247 - 11/12/06 02:59 PM Re: A Number of Questions [Re: MastaFighta]
vegantkd Offline

If you don't remember patterns make them up. It will still have the same effect for your balance and whatnot. If you were that close to black belt, you probably have the basic idea behind patterns so it shouldn't be hard to make some up for the sake of exercise.

#299248 - 11/13/06 04:22 AM Re: A Number of Questions [Re: MastaFighta]
Jeff_G Offline

Loc: Midwest
1. Pair off with a partner with both fists at nose level. Put your hands down. Now punch at his nose with one hand, then the other and mix it up. The defender moves his head left, right or back.

2. Not so much a drill as a way of thinking. LEAD WITH YOUR BELT. Look at your technique. Do you move in a direction head first? Now try it feet first. Looks a bit like a cartoon character. Now move belt first. The head and feet go right along. This keeps your weight over your feet.

Edited by Jeff_G (11/13/06 04:24 AM)

#299249 - 11/13/06 06:41 PM Re: A Number of Questions [Re: MastaFighta]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Masta

Have you considered starting training elsewhere?

You seem to have a lot of good questions that are very tough to explain on-line.

Since your so interested in training----maybe you should look for a new place to go and get you questions answered first hand.

Just a thought.

#299250 - 11/23/06 06:30 PM Re: A Number of Questions [Re: cxt]
Malachi Offline

Loc: Seattle, Washington
masta, IM going to agree with cxt in this circumstance (btw I answered your other post before I got to this one lol)

I think that every one of your qestions are wonderful and show a true desire to dig below the surface to the critical details of what you are doing. However, most of the questions you have shoudl be easily answered if you find a good school and are able to get yourself back into your own training. the details we can provide you (though we do our darndest) do not do justice to what you need and deserve. Look around at the schools in your area, try them out and find one that suits you, and dive into it !

Malachi

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, tkd_high_green 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga