FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 32 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 9
AndyLA 5
futsaowingchun 4
VDJ 2
FrankyFruits 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
The Karate punch
by Dobbersky
08/12/14 05:14 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
A post for those who might become martial artists.
by AndyLA
08/06/14 07:25 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35571 Topics
432473 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 ... 27 28 >
Topic Options
#296205 - 10/25/06 07:40 PM Re: Kodoryu [Re: kodobrighton2006]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
No offense intended, but I always take exception to anyone or any style, especially one that doesn't offer overtures to current classical organizations and states that they are the sole repository of "exact" knowledge.

This is quoted from the site:

Quote:

Organisation

The Classical Karate and Kobudo Association was formed in the early 1990's to investigate and research precise and definitive applications for the various kata (solo choreographed forms) as practised by the various Okinawan 'Martial Arts' schools.

Based on unfunded research conducted by martial arts historian, Nathan J Johnson and his colleagues, the classical kata and their precise applications backed by hard evidence are today only practised by members of Ko-do Ryu. These findings are published in 'The Great Karate Myth - Unravelling the Mystery of Karate'.

#296206 - 10/25/06 07:41 PM Re: Kodoryu [Re: Shonuff]
kodobrighton2006 Offline

Well I regret to say for those who don't want to buy the new book all the answers are in the new book! "The Great Karate Myth" and it is not stated anywhere that his answer are the only ones which are right or valid. Alot of evidence drawn from alot of sources such as Patrick Mccarthy, Donn Draeger, Shoshin Nagamine to name a few are drawn on in the book. Things have changed alot since Barefoot Zen in Nathan's understanding and research that is the nature of research! He is also the first to admit that some things were wrong in Barefoot Zen. Nathan Johnson does not claim to have all the answers nor does any member of Kodoryu, but the theories and evidence are very strong and evry convincing for anyone prepared to take a good serious look at them.

#296207 - 10/25/06 07:57 PM Re: Kodoryu [Re: butterfly]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

wow! ALL the secrets in one book!

you be smellin what I be smellin?...{sniff}{sniff}...
A-Gen-Da! blanketed in a recycled hot pocket of steaming B.S.

#296208 - 10/25/06 08:04 PM Re: Kodoryu [Re: kodobrighton2006]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
And I'll quote again.

Quote:

the classical kata and their precise applications backed by hard evidence are today only practised by members of Ko-do Ryu.

So by implication, others are not practicing "precise applications."

Why is it that those who profess to have "the way" are always willing to share the secrets if you buy a book?

#296209 - 10/25/06 08:20 PM Re: Kodoryu [Re: butterfly]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

it's gets even more suspect.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsXj8NJHSxg

brainstormed idea: lets take uechi ryu kata (which is a rarety in the UK, so now the brits have been scrambling for it in the past decade) and add kobudo weapons to it...and lets say we do it that way, because kata is intended for weapons. ...that outta sell.

{shakes his head and walk away}

#296210 - 10/25/06 08:41 PM Re: Kodoryu [Re: Ed_Morris]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
the power!! the speed!!, the dynamic hip movement!!, the intense look in his eyes!!!

he might not know karate, but he sure knows ka-razy!!

lack of technique = no money from a dojo

however!

lack of technique backed by a conspiricy theory that your the best by default = a sure thing.

wow, that was a harsh post.....i must be a real jerk, or sick of guys selling there books over there ability to teach.

#296211 - 10/25/06 09:31 PM Re: Kodoryu [Re: Ed_Morris]
student_of_life Offline
Veteran

Loc: Newfoundland, Canada
right boys, sorry to be the bearer of bad news here, but i've just been exposed to "revolutionary" new information in the karate world.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JL2RVgR91ME&mode=related&search=

so enough of that old makiwara and iron body training guys, we now all strictly use old school knives and wrestle.

thems the brakes. says this guy anyway, and hes got 20 years training, wait....victor?, how long have you been at this game? what are you waiting for!! go get interviewed and get your face on tv!!

#296212 - 10/26/06 01:15 AM Re: Kodoryu [Re: kodobrighton2006]
CVV Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Belgium
Quote:

You said yourself you have not read Nathan's book it is all explained in detail in there.

As for most of the Okinawan Kata being from China can you prove it? please provide some evidence and sources. Which Kata please are you talking about?

"Plus, Goju got more than 3 kata from China--with the exception of Tensho and the Geikisai series all of the Goju kata are Chinese."

Thats a big statement can you please list the Kata and their sources? Because I see no eivdence to suggest that any other kata in goju ryu except Sanchin,Seisan and sanseiru came from a Chinese source. The rest appear to have been made up by Chojun Miyagi.

To list one source. Choki Motobu in Watashi no toudi-jitsu (1932). Sanchin useishi seiunchin seisan pechurin are all from China and apperantly still practised there. However it is said that naihanchi (tekki) bassai chinte chinto wanshu rohai kusanku no longer exist in China.
This implies that the Okinawan's once placed them as coming from China. His teachers from where he assumes this information are among the karate myths of the 19th century like bushi Matsumura, Matsumora Kosanku, Ankoh Itosu.

Other known versions of kata also practised in China today are happoren niseishi nepai sepai jutte. (reference Mccarthy and a training session with shaolin union student some years back).

#296213 - 10/26/06 03:05 AM Re: Kodoryu [Re: Ed_Morris]
kodobrighton2006 Offline

I am off to Belgium so will try to answer responses when I get back. At the end of the day as I have already said the book does not cliam to have all the answers but it is the result of a serious amount of research. There is no point arguing with people who are not prepared to even look at the research. Even if people agree or disagree it doesnt matter because it provides a whole new perspective. And for those like Ed Morris who seldom have anything productive to say just dont bother!

#296214 - 10/26/06 05:50 AM Re: Kodoryu [Re: kodobrighton2006]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Ok Good people,

I have met and trianed with Tom and Nathan Sensei, they are very good karateka and martial artists, Ko-Do Ryu is a very interesting system of karate and should be looked at with an open mind.

Of course I accept that the Ko-Do Ryu presentation is rather dogmatic at times, lets just get over that shall we,

I also accept that Nathan Sensei is in the business of selling books and building an organisation, lets get over that as well.

Keep the digs and insults down please and try and discuss the topic at hand as adult karateka or don't bother posting on the thread, it really is that simple.

One thing I am absolutly sure of is that the mainstream karate 'view' is extremly inaccurate in many areas, presented history is generally not accurate and the general technical understanding of karate is generally very poor,

Nathan Sensei should be applauded for his efforts as he questions things the masses follow blindly.

Tom as a starting point it may be worth taking the time to outline the background training and grades of the Seniors at Ko-Do Ryu, and of course specifically Nathan Sensei.

This would help people understand the credability of the ryu in a more conventional manner.

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

Page 2 of 28 < 1 2 3 4 ... 27 28 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga