FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 39 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 8
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 12:01 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432457 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
#295895 - 10/25/06 04:12 PM Re: Ten years? [Re: Chen Zen]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Denton, Tx, USA
Quote:

Jsa. I assume that means Japanese sword art? Correct me if Im wrong on that.

You've got it right. JSA is a fairly common abbreviation for Japanese Sword Art, and as I said before, if practical unarmed self defense is what you are after, JSAs are probably not for you.

#295896 - 10/25/06 05:27 PM Re: Ten years? [Re: Chen Zen]
kyokushinkai Offline

Loc: Prince Edward Island , Canada
Yea when I read that it seemed like you meant your instructor was the guy everyone thinks is the Janitor.

#295897 - 10/25/06 06:50 PM Re: Ten years? [Re: kyokushinkai]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
good i wasnt the only one then

#295898 - 10/25/06 08:46 PM Re: Ten years? [Re: kyokushinkai]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Yea when I read that it seemed like you meant your instructor was the guy everyone thinks is the Janitor.

Nope. It's the lot of those who have been practicing so long that they no longer qualify for participation in tournaments, but who not long enough to participate in the judging at a tournament. Tournaments only allow students up to Rokudan to compete. You'll generally find only the top folks(read 35+ years) doing judging or just plain watching. That leaves everyone in between doing setup. So quite literally my instructor might be one of the folks sweeping the floor before a tournament or doing any number of other setup tasks.

The point of course was to illustrate that even after 26 years of training, there's still a long way to go. Here he is relatively big fish in a very small pond. In Japan, he is very much a little fish in a great big pond, and he's the first to admit it.

Now as the question of how you meant to use the term "Master". Perhaps you meant instructor. The first teaching license in my branch is Rokudan Renshi. It varies a lot based on student and dedication level, but it is quite possible for a dedicated student with access to a good instructor to reach Renshi at around 10 to 12 years.

#295899 - 10/26/06 07:56 AM Re: Ten years? [Re: Chen Zen]
A.J. Bryant Offline

Loc: Indianapolis, IN USA
Actually, Japanese swordsmanship has a great deal to teach you about self-defense. Beyond the various tachidori waza, or sword disarming techniques, which are readily adaptable to empty-hand applications and other small weapons (usually resulting in locks and throws), you have more subtle, and much more important skills. Some of the major skills include the development of mushin (a quiet, receptive mind), zanshin (awareness), and taisabaki (body movement).

The first in particular (mushin) is developed from day one with good instruction in arts such as Iaido, which on the surface appear to have absolutely no practical self-defense applications at all. Possessing the ability to see the reality of a given situation and also in the intentions of others, along with an overall spatial awareness and ability to move correctly will save you from most dangerous encounters in your daily life.

In addition, within the waza or kata themselves, many cuts are easily turned into strikes or kicks, and there are deeper principles of combat (heiho, or strategies) that can be adapted to any situation, regardless of weapon, or lack thereof.

All that said, many teachers today in these arts do not teach these things (or their practice has been abandoned), which is perhaps a source of confusion, and somewhat unfortunate, but thatís really not the fault of the arts themselves.

Regardless, thatís just my opinion, others may vary.

#295900 - 10/26/06 08:03 AM Re: Ten years? [Re: A.J. Bryant]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

AJ is right. There are some practical applications. I don't want to give the impression that JSA training is completely useless. But if you're goal is practical self defense, your time would be more efficiently spent in something like Aikido or a solid karate system. Or perhaps Escrima if you just have to have a weapon in your hand. Or better yet the firing range.

#295901 - 10/26/06 11:49 AM Re: Ten years? [Re: Charles Mahan]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Yikes Aikido? j/k Im not going to bash anyones style..today. I understand your point that some things can be garnered from it, but could these things not also be had from other weapons training such as with a knife?

As for proper instruction, I wouldnt feel right in america. Id rather l;earn it in Japan or China.

#295902 - 10/26/06 11:54 AM Re: Ten years? [Re: Chen Zen]
Charles Mahan Offline
Professional Poster

Depending on your location and what you're, there is some pretty high level instruction available in the US. It is also helpful to start here so that you can obtain recommendations to take with you to instructors overseas.

#295903 - 10/26/06 11:54 AM Re: Ten years? [Re: Chen Zen]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Chen

Yeah, Charles pretty much said that there are better ways to defend yourself--I belive he specifcally suggested a gun.

Don't bring a knife to gun-fight.

Why would you want to learn a Japanese Sword Art ie JSA, in "China?????"

#295904 - 10/26/06 12:20 PM Re: Ten years? [Re: cxt]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Im not partial to JSA. Chinese people use swords too.
As for the gun suggestion, I actually mentioned it first. The only reason i mentioned a knife is because it is a cutting weapon like a sword but a little more practical in todays self defense.

Page 4 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  Charles Mahan, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga