FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 41 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
Yesterday at 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432483 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#295841 - 10/23/06 08:03 PM a style= bad karma?
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

From what I know about karma, I thought it was the actions you do in your life follow you later on in life or in your next life (when your soul is reincarnated). I have been reading a little bit about taoism and that is my most basic description of karma. But has anybody heard of their being bad karma in a group, or in a certain style?

I was discussing eastern philosophy with my chemistry teacher, and I told him how I just realized the difference between qi gong and Tai chi (one creates, one spreads+culvtivates) and he was speaking about differant types of exercisies and qi gong through different styles...

he named a few styles (choy li fut, pak mei, wing chun)

I figured I would tell him I studied wing chun, and I could tell he wasn't pleased. I guessed it was because of a local instructor (thugish guy) and I was right. I told him I study with a different instructor with a different view on wing chun.

It is almost like 2 completely different styles, and I am learning it now the way moy yat learned it from Yip Man.

My chemistry teacher insisted that wing chun had "bad karma" in it. He said "all" wing chun, not just lineages. He reccomended taking another style. Since I study MMA he said I should stick with one style and get good at it (which I think is a good way of doing things). He did say that was just his opinion though.

I was thinking if this was possible, it would be because maybe wing chun lacks the ecercises needed to spread the qi throughout your entire body. I doubt it though...

I asked him why he thought there was bad karma in Wing Chun, and he just said it's because of how a lot of wing chun practitioners he knows or heard of have had strange deaths.

Very interesting philosophy on wing chun. I am not quitting, but it is always refreshing to hear a different point of view.

I was wondering if any of you have ever heard of bad karma for an entire group or style. I always thought that it depended on the individual, but maybe there is something more to it that I can't comprehend.

He seemed secretive about his knowledge as many traditional chinese practitioners are. Leading me to believe he may study some long fist style, because long fist people and wing chun people supposedly were enemies or something (old politics that I am not concerned about)

The point of this entire post though, was does anybody believe in group karma, or karma within a style?

EDIT: Fixed spelling

Edited by pepto_bismol (10/23/06 11:31 PM)

#295842 - 10/23/06 11:23 PM Re: a style= bad charma? [Re: pepto_bismol]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
You mean Karma?

If what you say is true, then all those who play or listen to music composed by Beethoven will eventually go deaf.

I advise that, if you can, change your chemistry teacher; he has more bad karma than Wing Chun.

#295843 - 10/23/06 11:32 PM Re: a style= bad charma? [Re: ButterflyPalm]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

Quote:

You mean Karma?

If what you say is true, then all those who play or listen to music composed by Beethoven will eventually go deaf.

I advise that, if you can, change your chemistry teacher; he has more bad karma than Wing Chun.

I'm not saying it, it's his opinion and I was asking if anybody has heard of this sort of thing.

And how does he have bad karma?

#295844 - 10/23/06 11:40 PM Re: a style= bad charma? [Re: pepto_bismol]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Crap. BS. Superstition.

Sounds like someone trying to 'rationalize', is some weird way, his personal bias.

#295845 - 10/23/06 11:54 PM Re: a style= bad charma? [Re: pepto_bismol]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

And how does he have bad karma?

Have you heard of the legendary beginnings of the Wing Chun style?

The story goes that Yim Wing Chun (a village beauty) was to be married off to the town bully; Ms. Yim (a woman ahead of her time) of course wouldn't agree and so learned a style of combat from a nun known by her monastic name of Ng Mui ('fifth sister', meaning she was ordained fifth in line under a master)

Ms. Yim was an exceptional student with tons of natural talent for martial arts (see the other Thread) and finally in a show-down with the town bully, decisively defeated the latter.

Your chemistry teacher, if I am not mistaken and stand corrected, is THAT town bully.

He is, centuries and some incarnations later, still harbouring the shame and karma of that defeat.

#295846 - 10/24/06 01:26 AM Re: a style= bad charma? [Re: ButterflyPalm]
pepto_bismol Offline
infinite kudos

Quote:

Have you heard of the legendary beginnings of the Wing Chun style?

The story goes that Yim Wing Chun (a village beauty) was to be married off to the town bully; Ms. Yim (a woman ahead of her time) of course wouldn't agree and so learned a style of combat from a nun known by her monastic name of Ng Mui ('fifth sister', meaning she was ordained fifth in line under a master)

Ms. Yim was an exceptional student with tons of natural talent for martial arts (see the other Thread) and finally in a show-down with the town bully, decisively defeated the latter.

Your chemistry teacher, if I am not mistaken and stand corrected, is THAT town bully.

He is, centuries and some incarnations later, still harbouring the shame and karma of that defeat.

Of course, I should of known. I am also Shania Twain reincarnated in to a 15 year old's body...

I didn't post this thread for jokes... if you don't believe in karma just say so.

I was hoping for somebody who does believe in karma to enlighten me on karma of a group if there is a such thing.

If your prefer to make jokes, then have fun.

edited to fix quote

Edited by MattJ (10/24/06 10:00 AM)

#295847 - 10/24/06 08:05 AM Re: a style= bad charma? [Re: pepto_bismol]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Does a mountain have karma? Does my car have karma?

If one 'believes' in karma, then anything sentient has karma...individual karma.

Perhaps it is more like my hippie friends used to say, 'It's what you bring to the party.'

#295848 - 10/24/06 09:25 AM Re: a style= bad charma? [Re: harlan]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I agree...kindof sounds like someone suggesting some lineages are 'cursed'.

and more often than not, it's based upon the personal bias of the one claiming the curse.

#295849 - 10/24/06 10:21 AM Re: a style= bad charma? [Re: pepto_bismol]
ThomsonsPier Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
Quote:

if you don't believe in karma just say so.

So!

I don't believe in karma as a natural force. I would say that the semi-mystical view of karma comes from a cyclical cause/effect chain based on human interaction. For example, if you hack off enough people, eventually they'll refuse to help you do something dangerous and you'll die horribly. That's obviously a worst case scenario.

War. It's fan-tastic!

#295850 - 10/24/06 10:27 AM Re: a style= bad charma? [Re: ThomsonsPier]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

karma = cause and effect

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga