FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >
Topic Options
#295815 - 12/15/06 03:25 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: olga]
Saisho Offline
more than just a pretty face

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
Smoking is negative in every aspect. I don't think that anyone, including smokers, would say that smoking has any positive effects. Most smokers argue that it is their right to smoke and I am not saying they should be banned.

Other things, such as alcohol, can have negative effects, but also have benefits. It is understood in the health field that one drink per day for women and two for men is healthy. In fact, it was stated (I would have to look through my books to see by whom) that it is better for a man to have a couple of drinks per day than to not have any. No, you can't save them up and cash them in on the weekend

So, there is a difference between things that are bad for you and things that can be if not handled correctly. There is also a difference between something being bad for you and the right to partake in it anyway.

#295816 - 12/15/06 03:28 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: Saisho]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Smoking is negative in every aspect. I don't think that anyone, including smokers, would say that smoking has any positive effects. Most smokers argue that it is their right to smoke and I am not saying they should be banned.

Other things, such as alcohol, can have negative effects, but also have benefits. It is understood in the health field that one drink per day for women and two for men is healthy. In fact, it was stated (I would have to look through my books to see by whom) that it is better for a man to have a couple of drinks per day than to not have any. No, you can't save them up and cash them in on the weekend

So, there is a difference between things that are bad for you and things that can be if not handled correctly. There is also a difference between something being bad for you and the right to partake in it anyway.

Thanks for that, saved me the trouble.

*slowly steps off of anti-smoking soapbox*

#295817 - 12/15/06 04:25 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: MattJ]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
They ban hard drugs and mariguana yet not smoking or drinking. I sense a contradiction here.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#295818 - 12/15/06 06:05 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: Stormdragon]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
That's right, they should ban it all.

If alcohol was a new invention, developed yesterday as opposed to thousands of years ago, would it be legal? Would tobacco?

#295819 - 12/15/06 09:41 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: JoelM]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

If alcohol was a new invention, developed yesterday as opposed to thousands of years ago, would it be legal? Would tobacco?

A valid point. Tobacco and hard drugs have no upside or health benefit. You can not live on them nor can they substitute nutritionally in any way. Alcohol is in a somewhat differrent class. In ancient cultures, fresh water was sometimes hard to find, and alcohol was considered "safer" to drink in those instances. Alcohol is very dense calorically, and could substitute for food if need be.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcoholic_beverage

Quote:

In places and eras with poor public sanitation, such as Medieval Europe, consumption of alcoholic beverages (particularly weak or "small" beer) was one method of avoiding water-borne diseases such as the cholera.

In the "modern" world with access to clean water supplies, there is less rationale for the existence of alcohol.

#295820 - 12/15/06 09:46 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: MattJ]
Saisho Offline
more than just a pretty face

Loc: Dayton, Ohio
I have often told the college classes I taught that a (well made) pizza and a beer is the best meal they can have. A pizza with adequate vegetables and beef (not pork) is the only food to supply all of the essential amino acids that a person must consume. Beer has many health benefits as well.

Needless to say, my students liked that lecture.

#295821 - 12/16/06 12:01 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: MattJ]
Eric4444 Offline

Ugh, bumped thread.
Oh well, might as well update everyone.

I am now home for Christmas, first semester it out of the way. I'm coming out with a very good GPA. My grades were never good in high school, mainly because I hate busy work. I never did it, especially when it was handed out for homework. I have no interest in wasting my time. I learn something, I practice it, I memorize it, I move on. Teachers moved at too slow of a pace, and handed out work most days to keep us occupied while they drank their coffee and read the sports section.
Now that I'm in college that has changed for the most part. I plan on transferring my junior year to a better school. I plan on spending my time at this university getting all the required classes out of the way and maintaining a 3.8-4.0 GPA. I'm also taking a variety of different classes to help me decide on what I REALLY want to major in.
My dorm room still sucks. I average only a few hours of sleep a night. I deal with it though.

I'm not getting into the smoking/alcohol/drug debate again. I've done it too many times, and I really get tired of people saying things like "well why not ban cars while you're at it they kill too."
Well that's because you HAVE to drive to function in this society, you don't HAVE to drink to function.
No more though.

I'm getting an apartment next year. Found one 3 miles from the school. 680 a night. I can swing it if I work all summer. A 6 mile run to and from school each day will probably do me some good anyways.

Well, that's all I can think of to say now. There's your update.

#295822 - 12/17/06 12:24 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: Eric4444]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

UghA 6 mile run to and from school each day will probably do me some good anyways.

I thought 'you HAVE to drive to function in this society'?

Glad you are dealing. Sorry you are not enjoying. Doubtful of your ability to judge the methods of your teachers with authority.

If you are not going to drink, at least indulge in a little humility, and possibly a little happiness?

#295823 - 12/17/06 12:40 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: Eric4444]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

sounds like you are just dealing with it instead of adapting to it.

most can deal....few learn to adapt.

you have a choice in goals: maintain a 3.8-4.0 and count the days till you're done, cursing in your mind everything and everyone along the way. or maintain a 3.8-4.0 while finding ways to enjoy the whole college experience for what it is.

We learn something about ourselves by taking risks...until you study till 2am the night before midterms, then your friends walk in and drag you to an all-nighter party and drink till 6 - take the test the next morning at 8am with no sleep in a fog of alcohol....and land an A-

now THAT is getting the FULL college experience. lol

#295824 - 12/17/06 12:41 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: MattJ]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
Quote:

In the "modern" world with access to clean water supplies, there is less rationale for the existence of alcohol.

Alcohol is not good for you, its just something that people enjoy. and if in the correct amount it does no harm. Thats why its legal. If we banned everything with all negative effects we wouldnt have coke..junk food etc. Its just because people enjoy it that its still around, no other reason

Page 8 of 10 < 1 2 ... 6 7 8 9 10 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga