FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
AndyLA 3
futsaowingchun 2
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Eugue Ryu
by
03/27/07 12:06 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/19/14 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
09/18/14 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
09/18/14 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#295765 - 10/24/06 08:40 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: crablord]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Whats the problem andy? dont like having fun or something

Crablord I think if the guy says he doesnt want to party then I dont think he wants to party. If he did he would have said so.
Yeah I like having fun in fact Im off down the gym to lift lots of very heavy weigths and then Im off for a run.
I might consider drinking after that but because I dont drink (very seldom) I wont.
And no doubt you will suggest I do.

Keep on topic and off of personal attacks
-joel

Edited by JoelM (10/24/06 09:31 AM)

#295766 - 10/24/06 11:09 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: Eric4444]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote by Eric4444 -

Quote:

I have to lie and say I support this liberal crap or that ACLU thing to get a good grade.

That is very unsettling to me. Why do you feel the need to lie about your positions? Support your views with facts and make a case for your side if you truly beleive in it. Sticking to your morals and views is a very important life lesson that seems not be getting through here.

#295767 - 10/24/06 11:16 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: MattJ]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Getting through college is viewed as part of a larger socialization process. Learning, and conforming...and depending on the college/professor/topic there may be more pressure to conform. It is well known where I work/went to college...that you give the answer the professor wants to hear in order to get through the course...and that may very well include regurgitating political POV.

#295768 - 10/24/06 11:40 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: harlan]
Eric4444 Offline

Yes, if anyone wants to pass you need to stick to the same ideas as the professor, we all learned this early on.
I guess I did come off earlier as kind of sounding like an ass, I apologize.
And Cord, I do like doing all of the things I mentioned, trust me, my parents think I'm as weird as everyone else lol
The reason I get so mad, is I look at all the problems we have in the world. Then I look at the selfishness of all the kids in college. They need to be learning what's going on in the world so they can learn what they can be doing to help it.
I'm saying for people to pack up and head over to Sudan, that's crazy, but nobody in my entire Global issues class new anything about what was happening in Darfur.
Maybe if they spent a few less nights going crazy and drinking the night away they would be able to learn things like this.
I just don't consider college a time to waste your life away partying. My Dad does nothing but spend hours and hours of his day in a bar, and even he says people shouldn't drink in college ( he didn't even go).
There's so much we could all be doing.

#295769 - 10/24/06 11:43 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: harlan]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

It is well known where I work/went to college...that you give the answer the professor wants to hear in order to get through the course...and that may very well include regurgitating political POV.

That is shocking to me. Very different to the university culture in the UK.

#295770 - 10/24/06 11:52 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: harlan]
rideonlythelabel Offline
Veteran

Loc: st-hubert quebec canada
Quote:

Getting through college is viewed as part of a larger socialization process. Learning, and conforming...and depending on the college/professor/topic there may be more pressure to conform. It is well known where I work/went to college...that you give the answer the professor wants to hear in order to get through the course...and that may very well include regurgitating political POV.

That's too broad a generalization. While it's true that some professors will only give you a good grade if you agree with them, some will give you a good grade as long as you substantiate your answers.

#295771 - 10/24/06 11:55 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: rideonlythelabel]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I think I had enough qualifiers in my statement to keep it from being a generalization. I said, 'where I work'. Also, 'depending on the college/professor/topic there may be more pressure to conform'.

#295772 - 10/24/06 11:57 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: Eric4444]
MattJWife Offline
Mrs. Administrator

Quote by Eric4444

Quote:

don't know, I'm starting to think college just isn't right for me now.
I'm thinking about finishing this year, working part time all the way through, and then working full time next summer, then in the fall taking my money and backpacking through Europe, or maybe joining the Peace Corps.
I just feel like I'm meant for something more important than what I'm doing now.

In reading your post, this is the first topic in which I felt compelled to respond. I am dishearted at your view on your 'life at college' right now. There are thousand upon thousands of people in this world who would love to have the opportunity in which you are having right now, no matter how 'horrible' it is.

I too went to college and had the "drunken roommates", the loud party hearty neighbors, 8AM classes on 1 hour sleep, but you know what? I sucked it up and thought to myself, this is my current reality and I made the best of it and found a way to make it liveable.

I too am not a drinker/partier, and was not into going to the clubs and acting "like an idiot." However, in college we are all adults and have the ability to make our own decisions wheather it be Shakespeare or Sam Adams. No one wants someone telling them what to do, nor should you allow them to dictate your experience.

Life happens so fast, and the 4 years of college (if you're lucky) are only a minute portion of it. No matter how 'horrible' it feels right now, it is an accomplishment that you can take all through life with you. At 30,40 hell even 80 years old, I can guarantee you will not proclaim "I wasted 4 years of my life in college." College is never a waste of time, no matter how boring or left winged the professor is. In your whole scheme of things Professor Joe Blow is a model of how to deal with someone else in your future. Tip: If you don't have to take political classes for your major: DON'T!

College is not just about learning the things that are written in your textbook, but about learning about yourself and how strong you really are.

Things that may seem like an easy way out, hardly ever are. You are the keeper of your own destiny, choose wisely.

#295773 - 10/24/06 12:05 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: Cord]
Eric4444 Offline

Quote:

Quote:

It is well known where I work/went to college...that you give the answer the professor wants to hear in order to get through the course...and that may very well include regurgitating political POV.

That is shocking to me. Very different to the university culture in the UK.

I know, and that's one reason I put in an application to study abroad at the University of Westminster next fall.

#295774 - 10/24/06 12:34 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: rideonlythelabel]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

Quote:

Yes, if anyone wants to pass you need to stick to the same ideas as the professor, we all learned this early on.

I learned the complete opposite....

Quote:

That's too broad a generalization. While it's true that some professors will only give you a good grade if you agree with them, some will give you a good grade as long as you substantiate your answers.

Wow, I've never had this problem in my 3 years of college....

In fact, I usually argue specifically against the professor because I think they grade me higher just for having the cahones to state a differing opinion....that and I'm very good at writing papers....

In fact, on the papers I DO agree on the professor with, I usually do worse, the major "red ink" statement being I am simply summarizing what the prof said and not stating my own viewpoint.....

Seems in my experience at least that opposing viewpoints or differing opinions are valued higher than regurgitation....and I've had some very liberal professors (one who absolutely refused to use the word "President" when talking about Bush. He simply referred to him as "the current occupant of the White House"...)

Quote:

I just don't consider college a time to waste your life away partying.

Then when should this stage in life occur? By your 20's, 30's, and 40's, you are dealing with a much harsher world. You aren't sheltered by your parents, you aren't sheltered by friends at school, and you have to go out and SURVIVE.

In college you are experiencing all the best things with very little responsabilities. I feel the exact opposite. I feel that if you aren't partying and aren't having a good time, then you're wasting what college is all about. Cuase I was a stickler and didn't party much my first few years, and it SUCKED! Felt like I wasted two years working hard when I could have enjoyed myself so much more. Cause guess what? The work is still there.

No matter how much I worked and worked and worked, there was always more work. So why worry about all the work there is, and let loose every once in a while?

The fact of the matter is that all those people you consider "idiots" or excessive party animals will be responsible adults, just like you. They may even end up being more successful than you. So who's "wasting" college then? The guy who worked constantly and had a good stable job and life, or the guy who partied and had a good stable job and life?

Choice is yours, but I've seen how fast life can hit you in the face, so I'm gonna live it up while I got the chance...

EDIT:

Wow! You even got Mrs. Administrator to post!! See what you did with those negative waves Eric?

Kick back and relax! That's an ORDER!

Edited by UofM Shorin Ryu (10/24/06 12:37 PM)

Page 3 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 5 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga