FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 56 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#295755 - 10/23/06 06:34 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: Dereck]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

Dereck, thanks for clarifying. We're definitely on the same page here, just took a while to spit the words out correctly. The Downside of internet conversations unfortunately....

Quote:

I was refering more to people that coasted through school to try to get a degree and then once in the market place realized that they wasted their time and it was for not.

That's what I thought, just wanted to make sure first.

I think people who feel they've wasted their time just aren't using all the resources available to them. They're hungry, staring at a steak, fork, and knife and lamenting their hunger instead of eating!

I have a friend who has an engineering degree because his parents wanted him to do it. He then graduated, and immediately went to firefighting school. Graduated that, and is now the leader/co-leader of the non-profit I'm apart of.

He doesn't regret doing his parents will, because he made the most out of it. 2 friends he met while in engineering school are also apart of our little non-profit org, and great friends.

The people who do regret stuff just don't know how to use what they've got, IMO....

I believe hard work and effort will always yield a positive result. Maybe not the EXPECTED result (people who don't use their degrees for work or salary), but if they apply it properly, that experience can never be wasted (example above with non-profit group).

My 2 drachma.

#295756 - 10/23/06 07:09 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: UofM Shorin Ryu]
Eric4444 Offline

Wow, those are a lot of replies to respond to.

Let me try and start from the beginning, my apologies if I miss something.

UofM Shorin Ryu, I DO NOT drink. NO drinking, no smoking, no drugs, no sex. I don't care if it's one drop of an alcoholic beverage, I will not even taste it.
I have NO interest in acting like a fool for the sake of acting like a fool. These four years of my life, even though I'm in college, are still four years of my life. I'm going to get the most out of them.
I agree with harlan, I like education, hate the institutions. I'm going to make the most out of these four years in a POSITIVE way, not a crazy party and beer way.

I don't consider myself to have a stick up my ass (Cord
) I'm just different from most kids my age I guess.

I would rather be reading Shakespeare or 1776, or watching Fox News than "hanging" out and talking about girls and stupid television shows like South Park.

Back to UofM, I'm not moping around depressed at all, I'm just [censored] off and damn sick of this. I want to be doing something with my life and I feel like it's being wasted away with a few hours of classes combined with trying to deal with the hooligans living around me.
Cord, there is no jealousy. I like buying things, I like nice clothes, techno stuff, etc. However, I realize that I don't NEED these things unlike him.

As for people keeping me up, how can you say I'm selfish? Quiet hours start at 10PM. At that time there is suppose to be no noise.
Coming in drunk as a skunk and screaming and hollering when others are trying to sleep is selfish. I don't see wanting to sleep at 4am when I have an 8:30 class as being selfish at all. I don't see how in the world it's selfish to want to go to bed at a reasonable hour.

I'm not asking for all classes to be in line with my political views but I also don't want my views to have to be lies. I have to lie and say I support this liberal crap or that ACLU thing to get a good grade.

Most importantly, I never said I was just sitting on my ass and complaining. I am trying to get things done, but there is only so much I can do.

I don't know, I'm starting to think college just isn't right for me now.
I'm thinking about finishing this year, working part time all the way through, and then working full time next summer, then in the fall taking my money and backpacking through Europe, or maybe joining the Peace Corps.
I just feel like I'm meant for something more important than what I'm doing now.

#295757 - 10/23/06 08:21 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: Eric4444]
5353 Offline

Loc: yongstown
suck it up and deal because tou'll have to deal with people like that all your life nomatter which field you chose and especially if you are your own boss.

#295758 - 10/24/06 05:57 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: Eric4444]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

I DO NOT drink. NO drinking, no smoking, no drugs, no sex. I don't care if it's one drop of an alcoholic beverage, I will not even taste it.... These four years of my life, even though I'm in college, are still four years of my life. I'm going to get the most out of them.

Erm, OK, if you say so.

Quote:

There is nothing wrong with not wishing to party- there is something wrong with seeing people who choose to party as inferior to you. I am an ex smoker, ex drug abuser, and now only drink alcohol on 5 days of the year- thats closer to 'straight edge' than many clergy I have known!
I do not sit in judgement over those who make personal choices that differ to mine. I will never be one of those ex smokers who scrunches their face up and makes some comment if someone lights up next to me in a bar- their lungs, their business. If I dont want the smoke, I step back. Live and let live.

Quote:

I would rather be reading Shakespeare or 1776, or watching Fox News than "hanging" out and talking about girls and stupid television shows like South Park.

Are you sure? Such anger towards things usually comes from repression. Are your choices based in religious beliefs? maybe an uber-strict upbringing? i only ask because your whole demeanour is as if your lifestyle is being threatened in some way by others going about the process of growing up and having fun. If your lifestyle really is your lifestyle, and not one imposed upon you, then you should be more secure in it, and derive more pleasure from it. If such restrictions have been placed upon you, then all I can say is that you only have one life, and you must live it feeling comfortable in your own skin.

Quote:

Cord, there is no jealousy. I like buying things, I like nice clothes, techno stuff, etc. However, I realize that I don't NEED these things unlike him.

How long have you been at college now? weeks? Days? Give the guy a chance.

Quote:

As for people keeping me up, how can you say I'm selfish? Quiet hours start at 10PM. At that time there is suppose to be no noise.

A large group of teenagers, away from home for the first time, with a 10pm curfew- did you really think that would be obeyed when you read it for the first time? Most colleges have 'mature students'-adults who have returned to education later in life. Ask if they have seperate dorms, and request transfer- life will be more sedate over there, but dont be suprised if it is not completely party free.

Quote:

Coming in drunk as a skunk and screaming and hollering when others are trying to sleep is selfish. I don't see wanting to sleep at 4am when I have an 8:30 class as being selfish at all. I don't see how in the world it's selfish to want to go to bed at a reasonable hour.

If there are others not happy with the situation, band together and approach the college with a complaint.

Quote:

I'm not asking for all classes to be in line with my political views but I also don't want my views to have to be lies. I have to lie and say I support this liberal crap or that ACLU thing to get a good grade.

Are you sure? or is that the impression you are getting. Talk frankly with your tutor about your concerns. Maybe your low grade is not based on differing opinion, but rather that you just wrote a bad paper.

Quote:

Your issues go wider than college, and will travel with you wherever you go. Deal with them now, dont run away.

Quote:

I'm thinking about finishing this year, working part time all the way through, and then working full time next summer, then in the fall taking my money and backpacking through Europe

Oh great idea The backpacking crowd hate to party- you are sure to enjoy nothing but peace and quiet as you enjoy not chatting up the hot women in Paris, not sampling the fine beers in Belgium, not going to the cafe's in Amsterdam, not clubbing the night away in Germany.

There is a whole world out there just waiting to be ignored and scowled at by you, and thousands of people for you to look down upon and not make friends with. Go get em tiger!

Quote:

I just feel like I'm meant for something more important than what I'm doing now.

Ever think that you might be limiting your chances of finding your true calling in life by following such a hard line on things? Stranger things have turned out to be true in this world.

#295759 - 10/24/06 06:11 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: Cord]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
I havnt read any of this topic other than cords post, but from those quotes dude...you suck lol. You need to have a beer, play some video games, and go partying. Then post back and tell us how cool life is

#295760 - 10/24/06 07:16 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: crablord]
jonwade Offline

Loc: Essex, UK
When in Rome.......

I must admit, I did not enjoy my first year at uni (although it was acedemic problems and having my house burgled that got me down, not the wild parties) but it was then that I started kung-fu. That saved me really. Still, only spent one year in Preston before going to Coventry. THe parties were even better, but the kung-fu clubs were a disappointment. That was in 1992, so hopefully kung-fu in Cov has improved since then.

Anyway, chill out, get drunk (remember that the law is only a guideline for drinking, it is assumed that those that are mature enough to decide to start drinking earlier are responsible enough to do so), ask your rich room mate to take you out for a drink. Tell him material things do not matter, only fuelling the spirit with beer is important.

Cheers,

Jon.

#295761 - 10/24/06 08:22 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: Eric4444]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Wow, those are a lot of replies to respond to.

Let me try and start from the beginning, my apologies if I miss something.

UofM Shorin Ryu, I DO NOT drink. NO drinking, no smoking, no drugs, no sex. I don't care if it's one drop of an alcoholic beverage, I will not even taste it.
I have NO interest in acting like a fool for the sake of acting like a fool. These four years of my life, even though I'm in college, are still four years of my life. I'm going to get the most out of them.
I agree with harlan, I like education, hate the institutions. I'm going to make the most out of these four years in a POSITIVE way, not a crazy party and beer way.

Good way of thinking. I presume you are doing a degree?
If so and I was in your position I would try to get the highest degree you can. In this country (UK) a 2/1 is considered the norm.
Quote:

NO neither would I based on what you put on here.And why are you considerd different? Just because you dont have vises doesnt mean you are different.

Quote:

Nothing wrong with that.
Quote:

Back to UofM, I'm not moping around depressed at all, I'm just [censored] off and damn sick of this. I want to be doing something with my life and I feel like it's being wasted away with a few hours of classes combined with trying to deal with the hooligans living around me.

Then avoid the hooligans some how and try to study hard.

Quote:

Fine
Quote:

Fine but if you cant sleep then see if you can move rooms somewhere quieter.

Quote:

Isnt the idea of assignments for a degree about stating both sides to an argument ?

Quote:

Most importantly, I never said I was just sitting on my ass and complaining. I am trying to get things done, but there is only so much I can do.

I'm thinking about finishing this year, working part time all the way through, and then working full time next summer, then in the fall taking my money and backpacking through Europe, or maybe joining the Peace Corps.

If what you are saying is based on other peoples effects on you then I would suggest you ignore them the best way you can and focus on getting the highest degree you are capable of. Meanwhile I think Old Man made a good suggestion.

Drink drugs and smoking, no body needs them. I smoked once soon gave it up. Drink did some in the past not for long though. Now I dont bother. Drugs? NO Way I would ever touch them.

All in all if you have the chance of a good degree which will lead to well paid employment I would do just that.

What other people do is up to them. Either you can be a part of it or not.

Edited by ANDY44 (10/24/06 08:31 AM)

#295762 - 10/24/06 08:23 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: crablord]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

I havnt read any of this topic other than cords post, but from those quotes dude...you suck lol. You need to have a beer, play some video games, and go partying. Then post back and tell us how cool life is

#295763 - 10/24/06 08:27 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: ANDY44]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
Whats the problem andy? dont like having fun or something

#295764 - 10/24/06 08:33 AM Re: I Hate College [Re: crablord]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Guys: let's keep this on topic...and not get personal.

Page 2 of 10 < 1 2 3 4 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga