FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
William_Bent 1
simonajones111 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >
Topic Options
#295745 - 10/23/06 04:21 PM I Hate College
Eric4444 Offline

Did anyone else hate college?
I'm miserable, it's absolutely terrible.
I'm actually not sure what's worse, dealing with college stupidity or being stereotyped by older adults who think I contribute to the college stupidity.

My room mate makes me sick. He's a stuck up materialistic rich kid. All he cares about is buying new and expensive things (all with his parents money) and getting into the latest gossip of who's dating who and who's cheating on who.

Every night I'm kept up until at least 1 am by the idiots on my floor making a ruckus.
All they care about is partying and having "fun." And of course by fun I mean act like an idiot.

The worse night is Thursday, which is "College Night" at all the local clubs and bars. For some reason, every single one of them KNOWINGLY serves alcohol to underaged drinkers.
On these nights I get to deal with everyone coming home at 4am screaming and hollering in their drunken fits. If I dare to open my door and ask everyone standing in the hall to please quiet down I'm bombarded with insults and usually have to slam my door shut as they try to push their way in screaming at me.

All of my professors are liberally biased. In my current events and politics class we're required to read and talk about articles in the New York Times. I hardly enjoy getting my information from the biggest secular progressive newspaper in the country.

Oh, and it doesn't help that I hate my business major and definetly need to change it (probably to writing).

I know one of the things you're suppose to learn during college life is how to "deal" with people, but I hardly plan on living my life surrounded by drunken, immature, idiotic imbeciles.

#295746 - 10/23/06 04:25 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: Eric4444]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

I hardly plan on living my life surrounded by drunken, immature, idiotic imbeciles.

So you spend your free time here?

#295747 - 10/23/06 04:34 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: Eric4444]
Joss Offline
Dragon

First time through, I was one of your drunken dorm mates. Second, I was married, GI Bill, working and lots more committed.

Rather than remain so actively miserable, look for some things you might change. Maybe change your dorm, or your floor or room. Go find out who makes the decisions about this and plead health and grades in a quiet serious manner. Also look around and see if there is a BB where people looking to trade roommates leave that info. Sometimes, even if the dorms are all full they will allow people to switch if they want.

Drunks look for sober people to tease. I always did. Try not to be such a desperate obvious target. Be quieter, smaller, less obvious.

See if anyone else wants to go in on an apartment next semester.... though that has other drawbacks of its own.

Maybe you need about 4 years off and some money saved up. Coming back, it will be more on your own terms. See your recruiter.

#295748 - 10/23/06 04:39 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: Eric4444]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
I love learning...but have a low tolerance for institutional education. If you break up the things that bother you, you can deal with them.

No privacy? See if you can get a library carrel. It is a great way to get work done.

Problems with roommate...ask for mediation. Act like you are interested in trying to get along (even if you are not).

Liberal bias? Sounds like you are stuck on this one. Do the work...and get out with a degree.

Social issues: the trickiest aspect of living in on campus...getting along with jerks. Using the system in place (do nothing RA's, alcohol policies, etc.) can get you in more of a bind.

#295749 - 10/23/06 05:15 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: Eric4444]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

Suck it up, keep your head up, and quit bitching. Everyone goes through rough patches.

I had almost the exact same problems my first year and a half. Crappy roommate, crappy dorm hall, loud noises, and no friggin clue what I was doing in terms of my education.

In fact, my hall was so bad, the assistant director for University Housing had to come talk to the hall as a whole, and reported that our hall had the most alcohol related incidents than any other on campus.

And of course, 1/2 my hallmates showed up to that meeting drunk!

1 am bedtimes would have been a blessing Freshman year. I was lucky if I got sleep, regardless of when it was.

And Thursday's are still "Thirsty Thursday's" here at U of M too.

Christ, even my CURRENT roommate is a jackass. Doesn't do dishes, plays loud music all night long, prone to violence, short-tempered, and inconsiderate. All my friends are wondering why I haven't beaten the living crap out of him yet (I do have a high tolerance and patience level though...)

U of M has several liberal professors. In fact, I don't think I've had one that isn't.....

Doesn't mean they're no good. You need to open your mind up more, that's what school is all about, learning what OTHER people think, not just sticking to your own damned opinions.

If you don't like your major, change it! End of story.

And I don't plan on being surrounded by drunk college frat guys either. Hopefully the majority will grow out of that phase.

Point is, you aren't the only one out there experiencing these things, but they aren't bitching. I'm not bitching, cause I'm out DOING SOMETHING about it. I just failed my first mid-term ever in college. Did I cry, complain, moan? Nope. I went out and had a beer to celebrate!!

Why? Cause I know that I learn best from mistakes, and I'm not always gonna do spectacular on tests. Plus, ain't nothing like a party to cheer ya up!!

You gotta problem? Solve it, don't bitch about it!

And if you think I'm being a little mean and harsh....GOOD!

I think what you need is a swift kick in the ass to get you on the right direction. Moping around all depressed and dejected is gonna get you nowhere. I've already tried that, it doesn't work.

So get yourself a beer, and get crackin on makin college what is SHOULD be! Take an ACTIVE stance on the college experience, and start MAKING it fun and enjoyable. Do what you can, alter or change things that are in your control (which is about half your rant), and don't worry about things you can't. What's the point? You've only got so much time to be a drunken mess, running around the streets at 4 am on a Wednesday night before REALITY checks in and makes you realize the drugeries of adulthood is around the corner.

You're a kid, just like me. Start acting your age!

#295750 - 10/23/06 05:21 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: Eric4444]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Yup, that sounds about right for all of my friends that went to College/University/Trade Schools. It takes sometimes a year for many to settle down before they get serious about things ... mainly because they get poor grades and there parents get ticked at them for spending their money but not living up to their end of the bargan.

I never went to College but did do "1" day at the University of Alberta which I had planned on becoming an Accountant. Auditorium class rooms, 100's of people, that was enough for me and I dropped out after a day just enough to get a full refund. I always told myself I'd go back again but I never did. My work put me through school at N.A.I.T. (North American Institute of Technology) and I did night classes to get the beginning of a Marketing degree. Working full time and then doing 2 classes a week plus homework every night including weekends was hell on earth and thankfully I got out of the schooling that I needed for my job so did not have to finish the degree ... but it is nice to have this information for my resume. Thankfully they paid for it, my mileage and parking for the whole time I was there. They were more then happy when I came out with an above 80% average.

I don't envy you Eric but try to make the best of it. See if you can be moved somewhere else and if not, do little things to pay these people back ... a couple of fire alarms will do the trick when they are trying to sleep. (joking of course).

EDIT:

I just read the post before mine ... no, I don't buy this. Don't ever change who you are just to fit in. Live by your standards especially if they are good standards. Too many people who go to school end up with degrees they can't use or never use or drop out all together. And then there are those that complain because they did get their degree but can't get a job not realizing that others had that same degree, did better then them and had good standards that carried over into their adult life. Going to school guarantees you nothing ... it is what you do with yourself there and in life in general that does. It is okay to kick back once in a while to relieve stress but too many are doing this all of the time taking the free ride. Free ride gets you a job at McDonalds!

Get the hard things in life out of the way earlier on so that when you reach adulthood you can enjoy life. There will always be hard thing throughout life to deal with but you might as well make them easier when you are older. Myself, I enjoy life a lot more now as I've gotten settled more, have a wife and daughter, own my house, have a good paying job with great benefits and have many toys. Isn't that what we all strive for?

#295751 - 10/23/06 05:47 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: Eric4444]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

My room mate makes me sick. He's a stuck up materialistic rich kid. All he cares about is buying new and expensive things (all with his parents money) and getting into the latest gossip of who's dating who and who's cheating on who.

This sounds a little like envy to me. His upbringing is not his fault- he didn't choose high earning parents, nor should you look down on him for being affluent.

Quote:

Every night I'm kept up until at least 1 am by the idiots on my floor making a ruckus.
All they care about is partying and having "fun." And of course by fun I mean act like an idiot.

Ear plugs

Quote:

The worse night is Thursday, which is "College Night" at all the local clubs and bars. For some reason, every single one of them KNOWINGLY serves alcohol to underaged drinkers.
On these nights I get to deal with everyone coming home at 4am screaming and hollering in their drunken fits.

Sounds like fun- ever thought about joining them? One night a week is hardly going to turn you into Barney from the Simpsons

Quote:

If I dare to open my door and ask everyone standing in the hall to please quiet down I'm bombarded with insults and usually have to slam my door shut as they try to push their way in screaming at me.

The majority rules. Thats democracy. As the minority party, expecting all others to capitulate to your wishes is more selfish than what you percieve as their selfishness. Ask your student liason office if there are any designated 'quiet' dorms that you could be assigned to.

Quote:

All of my professors are liberally biased. In my current events and politics class we're required to read and talk about articles in the New York Times. I hardly enjoy getting my information from the biggest secular progressive newspaper in the country.

So not only do you want all around you to go to bed at a time of your choosing, you also want everyone in your politics class to be in line with your viewpoint. Why not just stick on some jackboots and start a new world order? Failing that you could see the chance to introduce differing opinions into such an environment as a wonderful opertunity to test, and have opinion tested in a lively knowledgeable environment.

Quote:

Oh, and it doesn't help that I hate my business major and definetly need to change it (probably to writing).

Why are you typing on here when you could be changing things in your favour already?

Quote:

I know one of the things you're suppose to learn during college life is how to "deal" with people, but I hardly plan on living my life surrounded by drunken, immature, idiotic imbeciles.

Lighten up. College is not about 'coping' or 'dealing' with people, its about new experiences, testing the boundaries of your new found freedoms,challenging what you think and believe as much as the beliefs of others, being young, and learning the hard way.
Some of these 'imbeciles' could end up as friends, colleagues or even your bosses in the future. Having a stick up your a$$ is not an indication that you will be more successful than these people.

Stop being so damn judgmental and give them a chance.

#295752 - 10/23/06 05:52 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: Dereck]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

Quote:

I just read the post before mine ... no, I don't buy this. Don't ever change who you are just to fit in.

Dereck:

I think either you misinterpreted my post or I did a lousy job explaining myself.

I'm not asking to change yourself, I'm telling him to change his situation to conform to HIS standards, rather than everyone else's.

I AM one of those people going for the "pointless" degree I'll probably never use, never make money off of. And I won't change that for anyone, cause that's what I enjoy in school, (Classic Civ).

I haven't changed much, I'm stubborn in my ways. But I'm also not sitting around moping about the bad day I had, or how crappy my current siituation is.

I don't like my roommate, so I avoid him whenever possible. That's not me changing my ideals or standards, that's changing the situation to conform to MY ideals.

I told him to have a beer because it's infinitely more productive than complaining. I'm not telling him to become the drunk jerks he hates, I'm telling him to loosen up a bit.

Essentially, I'm not saying anything different from what Joss said

Quote:

Drunks look for sober people to tease. I always did. Try not to be such a desperate obvious target. Be quieter, smaller, less obvious.

I AM kind of put off by your comment here:

Quote:

Too many people who go to school end up with degrees they can't use or never use

Dereck:

So what?

I'll be real honest with you, I probably won't use my degree at all post graduation.

But there's no way in hell I'd change it just because of that. I like it too damned much.

Would you tell me to change my major because I won't use it?

I'm hoping not, because then I would be very confused, because on the one hand your advise is to be yourself, while on the other it is to change the major you may never use....maybe I'm misinterpreting what you wrote here, please clarify for me.....

NO offense meant by anything I've written in either post, I'm just offering my experiences and opinions on the said subject.

#295753 - 10/23/06 06:06 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: UofM Shorin Ryu]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I agree. grow and adapt. I didn't know what I wanted at first and changed my major twice. lots of changes in a person during those college years....roll with it.

#295754 - 10/23/06 06:16 PM Re: I Hate College [Re: UofM Shorin Ryu]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
UofM ... thanks for explaining more as I did misinterpret it. Most certainly make the best of your situation but don't ever compromise your standards. Do what you can to change the situation and if you can't then make the best of it.

As far as your question about your degree, most certainly continue with it if that is what you want and love. I was refering more to people that coasted through school to try to get a degree and then once in the market place realized that they wasted their time and it was for not. That they took something because their buddies were or what somebody else thought best for them or that they did not put the time and effort into it to take advantage of it so that the degree meant more to them and their potential employers.

Sometime life doesn't work out to what you want and you make decisions later in life. What I've found with many people I know personally that went to secondary school is that they did not think things through of what they really wanted to do and they just wasted time being wasted and took a free ride on their parents and many with scholarships that they blew. That I find is wrong. For yourself your degree may be expanding your love and understanding, thus broadening your horizons, and therefore though you won't have a career doing it, it is something that you probably will use someway or another. Nothing wrong with that at all ... and you are going into this well knowing this ... no surprises.

Thankfully many people grow up and mature enough to make something of themselves and obtain a good life or even a fantastic life. I just have no pity for the person who whines and complains about going to school and having a degree and having a crumby job but he/she wasted that valuable time and is doing nothing to make their life better. Of course I'm sure there are people who still whine and complain and did put the time and effort in but hopefully these people realize sometime in their life to pick up their feet and move on and try something else.

Probably put my foot into my mouth deeper.

Edited by Dereck (10/23/06 06:24 PM)

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 ... 9 10 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga