FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#295713 - 10/24/06 01:37 PM Re: Throwing a spinning side kick [Re: Twisted]
schanne Offline
breaks things

Loc: Woodbury NJ
Never heard of a spinning side kick, do you mean turning side kick as left foot is forward in fighting stance and you turn counter clockwise and execute a side kick with your right leg?

#295714 - 10/24/06 01:49 PM Re: Throwing a spinning side kick [Re: schanne]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Schanne,

I guess it is a question of title. I had not heard of a spinning side kick, but in the style I would practice, this would be a turning back kick, since the mechanics would be the same.

I think the problem is that a Back Kick is often described as a kick straight back impacting with the heel...much like a horse would kick. I have seen this, but do not personally use it, despite its efficacy.

On the other hand, whether you call the kick a turning or spinning side kick, the mechanics would have to be the same.

#295715 - 10/24/06 02:03 PM Re: Throwing a spinning side kick [Re: butterfly]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
The mechanics are the same except one is more full extended and the turn is longer to produce a side kick after turning. Insted of the 180 degree turn for the back kick its more 3/4 turn.
Its a strong kick just too wide open.

The blade of foot almost leveled with the floor rather then the toes mostly pointing down. At a glance it looks the same.

Edited by Neko456 (10/24/06 02:06 PM)

#295716 - 10/24/06 06:36 PM Re: Throwing a spinning side kick [Re: Neko456]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
A "spinning" side-kick sounds as odd as squid ice cream.

I'm familiar w/ turning & spinning back-kicks. The trajectory for a turning b-k is strait in while a spinning b-k is circular. The spinning hook-kick is a variation of the b-k.

And that's the problem w/ a spinning s-k. Expecting the momentum to change from circular to strait is bad mechanics because nothing is gained - no power, no speed, just a "wow factor" from the kids watching.

Unless there's a kick I haven't seen yet, it's just squid ice cream to me.

owari

#295717 - 10/24/06 08:13 PM Re: Throwing a spinning side kick [Re: BrianS]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
I know Brian. Its no biggie. I was foolin off myself. But since i said it I must now back it up. The technique itself is quiet powerful. Perhaps the most powerful of any kick so why would I say not to use it? Well, a few reasons I suppose. One would be that horrible word, "turning" or "spinning" . To me this implies that your back is exposed. Never a good thing. It also implies that your eyes are not upon your enemy. Also not good for me. The second reason is that it leaves you with little options for defense if you miss. If you miss he has your back. If he grapples with skill you are in huge trouble. Suppose he doesnt grapple. You are still in big trouble. Your spine and base of skull are at risk as well as your balance. As far as attacking him again before he gets you what do you have? Not much more than a spinning backfist or elbow and thats the first thing I expect and what I would want from my opponent. This makes it easier to pick him apart, IMO. Perhaps Im wrong, though I doubt it.

But to each his own. I dont train for kata or belt systems so something like this isnt a priority for me. I just like to mess around with you karateka. Always so serious!

#295718 - 10/25/06 09:52 AM Re: Throwing a spinning side kick [Re: hedkikr]
Ironfoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: St. Clair Shores, MI USA
Quote:

... Expecting the momentum to change from circular to strait is bad mechanics because nothing is gained - no power, no speed, just a "wow factor" from the kids watching.

Ain't it the truth. My daughter's first boyfriend was a BB from a McDojo. Showed me his butterfly kick, which was a jumping, spinning side kick. When asked if all that added any power, he answered "No, but it's just cool".

#295719 - 10/25/06 01:37 PM Re: Throwing a spinning side kick [Re: Chen Zen]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
It doesn't matter if he grapples or not if you set it up or hurt him then hit it with it or so he lest expected it. Its a damaging kick ass technique ask your buddy MMAist (I'm a fan of his, very skilled standin & ground) Vitor Belfort, drop him like its hot fight over, pretty much.

Thats what I've experience vs. people that are not in as good as shape as Vitor but still thought they were tough.
The spin back kick (I'm still not a fan of the SS) is the body slam of kicks, its the RNC of standing kicks. I've seen people get their ribs broke just sparring with it & knocked over tables with it!!!

Used properly and at the right time it's far more powerful then your left hook, if you can imagine that Chen.
Ask Vitor Belfort next time you see him .

Edited by Neko456 (10/25/06 01:50 PM)

#295720 - 10/25/06 03:38 PM Re: Throwing a spinning side kick [Re: Neko456]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
I know its strong Neko, I said so. However, power isnt everthing. Setting it up may work in sparring but in reality, it doesnt always work. And when it doesnt, you're in a bad bad way. Whether he grapples or not.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga