FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 24 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
Yesterday at 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#295220 - 10/21/06 10:57 AM Re: oppinions on matt hughes [Re: TeK9]
Tom2199 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: England
hes a bit arrogant maybe but hes a good allround fighter, you dont really know what hes like behind closed doors whenever people ask me about a fight i always say im going to win but deep down i am preparing myself.

you have to have confidence in what you do and he could just be playing up anyway, we all say stupid stuff sometimes to and he may just be trying to play on georges mind.

anyway what goes up must come down and maybe he will be sad and lonley someday then he will have only himself to deal with

#295221 - 10/21/06 02:07 PM Re: oppinions on matt hughes [Re: Tom2199]
5353 Offline

Loc: yongstown
i do think he is a really great fighter but ,this is my pet peeve, shoul'nt he be more humble because of how good he is? one trains not only for protection but to show people less knowledgable on ma ( kids ) the right way to carry yourself. i don't think he respects his OP and the way he acts proves it. you don't se the repect aspect of ma hardly anymore.

#295222 - 10/21/06 02:12 PM Re: oppinions on matt hughes [Re: 5353]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Matt Hughes is not a Martial Artist ... he is a fighter which is a different thing and different mindset.

#295223 - 10/22/06 09:35 PM Re: oppinions on matt hughes [Re: Dereck]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
That's a wrestler for ya. We've all acted liek that. I think he's really probably a great guy personally but just likes to stir things up A. to stay in the game and be entertaining and B. becuase he's feeding his confidence and playing psych. warfare with his opponents. Usually he seems pretty cool after the fights. He actually seems less arrogant than most wrestlers.
Lindlan got thrown out becuase he's not entertaining?
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#295224 - 10/23/06 12:27 AM Re: oppinions on matt hughes [Re: Stormdragon]
jc4199 Offline

Loc: Pevely, MO U.S.A
If you and your co-workers went out you can not tell me that some ribbing is going to go on. So why is he a @#@ if he jokes with people? I thought it was unprofessional of GSP to leave and to not be in the same room with Matt. I wonder how much of this was scripted.

#295225 - 10/23/06 01:27 AM Re: oppinions on matt hughes [Re: jc4199]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
I think GSP did the right thing. He is training these guys so why would he stay so that Matt could see many of his training tips? What I find difficult about this show is that these fighters have to live in the house together but they end up fighting each other. My own Instructor says he would find it extremely difficult because you are trying to get into a different mind set about fighting and being with that person would make it difficult. These guys don't have the luxury of leaving and must deal with it but GSP did have the luxury of doing it and exercised his right to do so.

I would not fault GSP for leaving, I'm sure there is more going on that meets the eye ... and probably so with Matt Hughes as well. Plus Matt seems to like to rib people and egg them on where as GSP is not like this. I'm sure GSP in his own circle does his own ribbing but why would he want to get chummy with somebody he wants to beat and take his belt?

#295226 - 10/23/06 04:52 AM Re: oppinions on matt hughes [Re: Stormdragon]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Lindlan got thrown out becuase he's not entertaining?

Rich Franklin was up and coming, young, popular with the girls, liked to do a bit of stand up striking. He would be a very popular champion, and very marketable for Dana White.

Lindland's style looks messy, his fights stay on the floor for ages, he doesn't interview too great straight after the fight, and he looks like Kane from the WWE if his head had been caught in a vice as a child. He also stood a very good chance of beating Franklin.

To what I understand, White stopped offering lindland pay per view fights, and despite his winning ways, stalled on offering him a championship fight, forcing Lindland to look elsewhere for his fighting career. This left Franklin with not having to face a very serious obstacle in his path to getting his belt.

Gladiators have always had to please the crowd to ensure their survival.

#295227 - 10/23/06 06:35 AM Re: oppinions on matt hughes [Re: Cord]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Cord wrote
Quote:

Rich Franklin was up and coming, young, popular with the girls, liked to do a bit of stand up striking. He would be a very popular champion, and very marketable for Dana White.

Bingo, right answer! Cord you just nailed it man. I said a long time ago that the only reason White got rid of Lindland is because he was the only threat to his poster boy Franklin. He wanted Franklin to rule for a long time. Like you said, he was very marketable.

So NOW what does White want? At this point, he'll take anyone as a champion that will SPEAK ENGLISH!!! And IN steps Lindland. Lindland has the ability to do the job and in my opinion, would have beaten DOWN Franklin (and of course, White knew this as well).

Quote:

Lindland's style looks messy, his fights stay on the floor for ages, he doesn't interview too great straight after the fight, and he looks like Kane from the WWE if his head had been caught in a vice as a child. He also stood a very good chance of beating Franklin.

To what I understand, White stopped offering lindland pay per view fights, and despite his winning ways, stalled on offering him a championship fight, forcing Lindland to look elsewhere for his fighting career. This left Franklin with not having to face a very serious obstacle in his path to getting his belt.

Gladiators have always had to please the crowd to ensure their survival.

Well said. I heard that Lindland was initially let go for a technicality involving a t-shirt.

White was looking for ANY reason to sever ties with Lindland.

The fact that this has everything to do with marketing and money, should tell you everything you really need to know about White and the UFC.

The problem for Dana is, you can run but you can't hide forever. Eventually someone will step in and turn over your little apple cart.

I DO give him props for signing Silva. For the life of me though, I can't figure out why he did it. He must have had a lot of faith in Franklin.

Now the excuses flew that Franklin was suffering from flu-like symptoms before the fight. I'd like to see a rematch. I believe he is owed one.

-John

#295228 - 10/25/06 12:33 AM Re: oppinions on matt hughes [Re: Dereck]
jc4199 Offline

Loc: Pevely, MO U.S.A
Quote:

I think GSP did the right thing. He is training these guys so why would he stay so that Matt could see many of his training tips?

But he also would have seen some of Matts. Matt could have asked about what GSP was doing with his students.

Quote:

What I find difficult about this show is that these fighters have to live in the house together but they end up fighting each other. My own Instructor says he would find it extremely difficult because you are trying to get into a different mind set about fighting and being with that person would make it difficult.

I can see where you are coming from there but why can two guys not like each other and fight. What would happen if some one who trains at the same place you train at was the camp and you got a shot at his title?

Quote:

These guys don't have the luxury of leaving and must deal with it but GSP did have the luxury of doing it and exercised his right to do so.

I would not have wanted to leave I want to learn form who ever will teach me and Matt is a great fighter.

Quote:

I would not fault GSP for leaving, I'm sure there is more going on that meets the eye ... and probably so with Matt Hughes as well. Plus Matt seems to like to rib people and egg them on where as GSP is not like this. I'm sure GSP in his own circle does his own ribbing but why would he want to get chummy with somebody he wants to beat and take his belt?

I bet they are both great guys and Matt was there because he was told to be there by his boss. GSP left I do not think any thing less of him for leaving but I would like to think that I would have stayed.

#295229 - 10/26/06 08:03 AM Re: oppinions on matt hughes [Re: jc4199]
Eveal Offline
the freshmaker

Matt being a great fighter, I beg to differ here. Though he is great at what he knows best. There is still some flaws in his fighting game and GSP may can exploit them. Matt's strength and power gets his ass out of alot of trouble which is fine with me but if someone comes along that matches up with his wrestling and has a better striking game than you will see him get beat.

In the UFC I really don't think these guys should be getting title matches as fast as they do. There records are low compared to boxing champions, Muay thai champions etc.

I would have like to see Anderson Silva fight a few more fights in the UFC before he got a title match because that would have given us more to look at and size up the fighters better. That clearly shows that Dana is working for the Fans but too bad it gotten Franklin's nose broken. "You just don't step into the ring with Ali because you think you can box" (Fast and the Furious )

I really don't think Franklin will ever beat Silva plain and simple.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, Fletch1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga