FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 30 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
LeroyCFischer 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#294862 - 10/19/06 12:52 PM what's your oppinion?
5353 Offline

Loc: yongstown
ok. i would like some feedback from anybody who feels like doing it no offense will be taken. i have a degree in nutrition and dietitics but i do not work in this field because the job opportunities are little pay with high on responsibility. i am self employed and the money is alright. my question is this, excluding the money issue, am i failing because i am not using what i went to school for or should i be proud of my accomplishements. i am happy doing what i'm doing just like to hear some feedback. this is not an attempt to stock egos i'm just curious to see how others feel about it.

#294863 - 10/19/06 01:16 PM Re: what's your oppinion? [Re: 5353]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Did 5353 waste his/her education?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 10/19/06 01:15 PM
View the results of this poll.
Does it matter if he/she did?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 10/19/06 01:15 PM
View the results of this poll.

#294864 - 10/19/06 01:51 PM Re: what's your oppinion? [Re: 5353]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
So you took some schooling and found when you got into the real world that the job opportunities were not as plentiful or financially rewarding but demanded a lot from you. Perhaps before you chose this field to go into that you might have done some homework and determined this before hand. Maybe you did but as you loved this field so much you had blinders on and dived right into it. What it comes down to is don't dwell on the past but look at yourself now, today. Are you happy with who you are and what you are doing now? From your post I'd say you were so that makes you a success. No where does success say you have to have a degree. No where does success say that if you do have a degree that you have to use it. You simple made a better chose for yourself or perhaps a career change, it happens all of the time. I bet if you polled the majority of people they are not doing what they thought they would be doing, myself included.

Your self worth is based on you today, and all of those things previous are what shaped you but don't define you. To get the answer to your questions simple stand in front of a mirror and ask that person the same questions.

#294865 - 10/19/06 08:23 PM Re: what's your oppinion? [Re: Dereck]
5353 Offline

Loc: yongstown
i am happy and i don't feel bad about my life. i did not mean a degree makes anybody better i just wanted some oppinions i hope nobody takes this qiestion the wrong way.

#294866 - 10/20/06 12:56 AM Re: what's your oppinion? [Re: 5353]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
If everyone does the 'right' thing, we all should be marrying the girl next door we grew up with.

#294867 - 10/20/06 03:13 AM Re: what's your oppinion? [Re: 5353]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Nope, that you are happy then that is what matters because basically our end result is to be happy in life and if that means not using your degree then you took the right path in life.

#294868 - 10/22/06 01:18 AM Re: what's your oppinion? [Re: Dereck]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
No education is ever "wasted" if you aren't happy then go back to school (my neighbor did and she's in her 40's) it's never too late! If you are happy doing what you are doing but not using your education that's ok. Life too short to sweat the small stuff.

Casey

#294869 - 10/22/06 05:58 PM Re: what's your oppinion? [Re: ButterflyPalm]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

If everyone does the 'right' thing, we all should be marrying the girl next door we grew up with.

No way! The nearest girl to me was across the street, and she was rough as a badgers ar$e

Look, you are happy with your life, and have no regrets. That is conclusive proof that you are following the right path for you.

#294870 - 10/22/06 06:11 PM Re: what's your oppinion? [Re: 5353]
grumbleweed Offline

My late sister had a degree in music and teaching and was making a wad teaching privately (cello/piano) the children of the social elite of Cambridge for years and became very uninspired with it all and found her niche doing home care for the elderly and housebound for social services earning a fraction of what she once did but infinitly much happier but then to develop breast cancer and pass away. Go figure

#294871 - 10/23/06 03:15 PM Re: what's your oppinion? [Re: 5353]
Joss Offline
Dragon

Just because you are not "working in that field" does not mean you aren't using your education. Knowledge and education should be lifelong pursuits, just for their own sake.

I have two bachelor degrees (Law Enforcement Administration and Geology) that are separated by almost ten years. Altogether they add up to about 212 college credits. And it turned out that my major career (for the last 20 years) is unrelated to either one.

Furthermore... as soon as I retire (1-2 more years) one of the top things on my list is to go back and start auditing some courses on subjects I just want to study more: art, music, history, geography, languages.

I'd relax about all this. If you are lucky enough to enjoy a long life, it will take more twists and turns than you could imagine. Education is just the lightposts along the way. Our lives are a little darker without it.

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga