FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 27 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ronin1966 3
futsaowingchun 2
ergees 2
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35584 Topics
432513 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#294762 - 11/03/06 02:15 AM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: Ed_Morris]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

Quote:

14. OVERWHELM RESISTANCE WITH SPEED AND SUDDENNESS: THE BLITZKRIEG STRATEGY

In a world in which many people are indecisive and overly cautious, the use of speed will bring you untold power. Striking first, before your opponents have time to think or prepare, will make them emotional, unbalanced, and prone to error.

Roman use of "pre-emtive strikes" or Passive/Defensive Imperialism. Invasions of Corcica and Sardis, Spain, Gaul, Greece, and even Carthage were all based on the idea of striking first, and establishing a dominant position before the enemy could do the same.

Also see, "The Ghost Division", which is one of my personal favorite things to study outside Psychology and Classical Civilizations.

You know you're good when your OWN high command doesn't even know where you're at.... Blitzkrieg at its best!

(Had to throw in the WWII reference, especially since the Strategy itself mmakes the same reference. Rommel kicked some serious ass.....)

#294763 - 11/06/06 03:22 PM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: UofM Shorin Ryu]
stormbringer Offline
Extraordinaire

Loc: Florida
I've ordered the book and it should be in this week. Having read The Art of War, Mastering the Art of War, The Lost Art of War, The Silver Sparrow Art of War, On War, and Hannibal, I hope I have another tactical book in my arsenal that I hardly ever use. I disliked Machiavelli's Art of War.

#294764 - 11/09/06 08:51 AM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: Ed_Morris]
stormbringer Offline
Extraordinaire

Loc: Florida
I just got the book and read the first section. That was nice wasn't it ED?

#294765 - 11/17/06 08:59 PM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: stormbringer]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I really enjoyed the book. especially that he gives historic examples of each strategy.

#294766 - 11/17/06 09:03 PM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: Ed_Morris]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

15. CONTROL THE DYNAMIC: FORCING STRATEGIES

People are constantly struggling to control you. The only way to get the upper hand is to make your play for control more intelligent and insidious. Instead of trying to dominate the other side's every move, work to define the nature of the relationship itself. Maneuver to control your opponents' minds, pushing their emotional buttons and compelling them to make mistakes.

#294767 - 11/17/06 09:06 PM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: Ed_Morris]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

16. HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS: THE CENTER OF GRAVITY STRATEGY

Everyone has a source of power on which he or she depends. when you look at your rivals, search below the surface for that source, the center of gravity that holds the entire structure together. Hitting them there will inflict disproportionate pain. Find what the other side most cherishes and protects - that is where you must strike.

#294768 - 11/19/06 01:23 PM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: stormbringer]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
Quote:

I've ordered the book and it should be in this week. Having read The Art of War, Mastering the Art of War, The Lost Art of War, The Silver Sparrow Art of War, On War, and Hannibal, I hope I have another tactical book in my arsenal that I hardly ever use. I disliked Machiavelli's Art of War.

hehe, his Art of War is deeply grounded in his own time - it's not so much a strategy book as an 'ultimate army' book... his plan was to have a line of swiss pikemen in front of spanish swordsmen from what I remember. I recommend The Prince, however, as a highly influential work on the importance of real politik. It's funny how Machiavelli has been villainised over the last few hundred years, quite unfairly in my opinion. Machiavelli's central moral position is still an essentially Aristotelian Virtue system - and Virtue theory has, over the last century, very much come into vogue. Personally, I was quite impressed by bits of Art of War, although I agree that it is deeply anachronistic now (and possibly even in his day, given the increasing use of gunpowder). Also, one of the central points it makes is still valid today: don't trust mercenaries to do a country's dirty work for you - have a citizen's army. Sure, they aren't always as efficient, but it's in their best interest to get conflict over with.

#294769 - 11/19/06 01:37 PM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: Ed_Morris]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
Quote:

15. CONTROL THE DYNAMIC: FORCING STRATEGIES

People are constantly struggling to control you. The only way to get the upper hand is to make your play for control more intelligent and insidious. Instead of trying to dominate the other side's every move, work to define the nature of the relationship itself. Maneuver to control your opponents' minds, pushing their emotional buttons and compelling them to make mistakes.

It's a different lexis, but this is what I was talking about earlier - control the initiative. Lock down your opponent's choices, make sure you hold all the aces. It's an old rule, and I don't think it's particularly eloquently put here, but kudos for saying it.

Quote:

16. HIT THEM WHERE IT HURTS: THE CENTER OF GRAVITY STRATEGY

Everyone has a source of power on which he or she depends. when you look at your rivals, search below the surface for that source, the center of gravity that holds the entire structure together. Hitting them there will inflict disproportionate pain. Find what the other side most cherishes and protects - that is where you must strike.

Well, this is one I see a problem with - mostly the last bit, actually. In World War 2, the Nazis used the Vengeance Ballistic Missile to target civilians in London. I do not mention the Blitz here because that was predominately aimed at strategic targets - ie. factories, airfields, infrastructure. Anyway, the British certainly didn't like this. It killed a fair few civilians. But was it worth it? No. Allied strategic bombing of civillians also wasn't worth it because, frankly, civilian loss of life doesn't cause short-term loss of ability to fight. In fact, it can galvanise soldiers and civilians-under-arms to resist attackers more fiercely, creating an 'existential' conflict if you like (existential because they view it as a war for existence itself).

Now, my point is that an enemy can value something a lot, but hitting it won't necessarily win you a war. A simple example might be having a fight with someone carrying a very expensive gold watch. He isn't going to like you damaging his watch - it's what he 'cherishes and protects' most. But guess what, if you go for the watch, he's going to kick your head in anyway

So, what I would replace this point with is:

16: ATTACK WHAT THE ENEMY NEEDS: THE CENTRE OF GRAVITY STRATEGY
Everyone has things upon which they depend. Whether it's food, water, ammunition, ego, linear combat or Queensbury Rules, find out what he relies on and attack it. He doesn't have to realise he needs it for it to be worth attacking - in fact, the less he realises he needs it, the more likely you can take it away.

Whaddya think? Do I have a chance to get this in?

#294770 - 12/09/06 12:18 AM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: TimBlack]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

Wow, haven't been keepin up, have I?

Quote:

It's a different lexis, but this is what I was talking about earlier - control the initiative. Lock down your opponent's choices, make sure you hold all the aces. It's an old rule, and I don't think it's particularly eloquently put here, but kudos for saying it.

Agreed. I had to read it several times to make out what was actually being said.

Quote:

So, what I would replace this point with is:

16: ATTACK WHAT THE ENEMY NEEDS: THE CENTRE OF GRAVITY STRATEGY
Everyone has things upon which they depend. Whether it's food, water, ammunition, ego, linear combat or Queensbury Rules, find out what he relies on and attack it. He doesn't have to realise he needs it for it to be worth attacking - in fact, the less he realises he needs it, the more likely you can take it away.

Whaddya think? Do I have a chance to get this in?

Ladies and Gents, I think we have a winner!

#294771 - 09/24/07 09:00 PM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: Ed_Morris]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

17. DEFEAT THEM IN DETAIL: THE DIVIDE AND CONQUER STRATEGY
When you look at your enemies, do not be intimidated by their appearance. Instead look at the parts that make up the whole. By separating the parts, sowing dissension and division from within, you can weaken and bring down even the most formidable foe. In setting up your attack, work with their minds to create internal conflict. Look for the joints and links, the things that connect the people in a group or connect one group to another. Division is weakness, and the joints are the weakest part of any structure. When you are facing troubles or enemies, turn a large problem into small, eminently defeatable parts.

Page 6 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga