FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111, BUJU, Pilsungkarate
22931 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
GojuRyuboy13 1
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22931 Members
36 Forums
35588 Topics
432519 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#294732 - 10/26/06 12:18 AM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: Chen Zen]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

6. SEGMENT YOUR FORCES: THE CONTROLLED-CHAOS STRATEGY

The critical elements in war are speed and adaptability - the ability to move and make decisions faster than the enemy. Break your forces into independant groups that can operate on their own. Make your forces elusive and unstoppable by infusing them with the spirit of the campaign, giving them a mission to accomplish, and then letting them run.

#294733 - 10/26/06 12:21 AM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: Ed_Morris]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

7. TRANSFORM YOUR WAR INTO A CRUSADE: MORALE STRATEGIES

The secret to motivating people and maintaining their morale is to get them to think less about themselves and more about the group. Involve them in a cause, a crusade against a hated enemy. Make them see their survival as tied to the success of the army as a whole.

#294734 - 10/26/06 12:25 AM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: Ed_Morris]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

PART III - DEFENSIVE WARFARE

8. PICK YOUR BATTLES CAREFULLY: THE PERFECT-ECONOMY STRATEGY

We all have limitations - our energies and skills will take us only so far. You must know your limits and pick your battles carefully. Consider the hidden costs of war: time lost, political goodwill squandered, an embittered enemy bent on revenge. Sometimes it is better to wait, to undermine your enemies covertly rather than hitting them straight on.

#294735 - 10/26/06 01:03 AM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: Ed_Morris]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

Quote:

6. SEGMENT YOUR FORCES: THE CONTROLLED-CHAOS STRATEGY

The critical elements in war are speed and adaptability - the ability to move and make decisions faster than the enemy. Break your forces into independant groups that can operate on their own. Make your forces elusive and unstoppable by infusing them with the spirit of the campaign, giving them a mission to accomplish, and then letting them run.

Pfff...too easy... Maniples, Cohorts, Legions, alea. Even carries over to today. Platoons, divisions, regiments, battalions. I'll get to the others when I have more free time...cause this is cool, fun stuff, good times!

#294736 - 10/26/06 07:53 AM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: UofM Shorin Ryu]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Ed, Banana, I'm enjoying reading this. Don't have much to add, but I'm enjoying it.

#294737 - 10/27/06 01:01 AM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: Ed_Morris]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline

Quote:

7. TRANSFORM YOUR WAR INTO A CRUSADE: MORALE STRATEGIES

The secret to motivating people and maintaining their morale is to get them to think less about themselves and more about the group. Involve them in a cause, a crusade against a hated enemy. Make them see their survival as tied to the success of the army as a whole.

There is a theory out there (in one of these several books on my shelves) about an idea known as "Defensive" or "Passive" Imperialism.

The idea being that the Romans conquered so much territory due to necessity, as a pre-emptive measure to being attacked themselves.

They took Corsica and Sardinia to prevent Carthage from establishing a base there.

They took Sicily for the same reason.

They conquered Spain to prevent a future attack from Carthage.

They took Greece after 4 wars, to prevent any more Greek interference in Roman affairs.

All these wars were justified under the pretext that the other powers out there forced the Romans to act in order to avoid annihilation. And in the same sense the Romans generally used this, true or not, to motivate the people to war.

This is why instead of surrendering after Hannibal destroyed THREE consular armies, the Romans kept coming. Fear of being destroyed led the entire Roman people to fight that much harder.

It was only during the Late Republic and Empire that Romans realized they were Imperial, and actively started conquering for the sake of conquering. THis may also be why the Romans acquired more territory during the Republic than during the entire existence of the Empire....

#294738 - 10/27/06 01:11 AM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: Ed_Morris]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline

Quote:

PART III - DEFENSIVE WARFARE

8. PICK YOUR BATTLES CAREFULLY: THE PERFECT-ECONOMY STRATEGY

We all have limitations - our energies and skills will take us only so far. You must know your limits and pick your battles carefully. Consider the hidden costs of war: time lost, political goodwill squandered, an embittered enemy bent on revenge. Sometimes it is better to wait, to undermine your enemies covertly rather than hitting them straight on.

Standard battle strategies of both Marius and Caesar. Caesar makes it abundantly clear in both his books (the Civil War and the Gallic Wars) that he fought on HIS terms, never on his enemies.

Part of the reason of Caesar's success was that he made the enemy fight on Caesar's terms, and Caesar notoriously prepped the battlefield with all sorts of ramparts and earthworks to mess with his enemy.

Marius was the same, although a lot less artistic....
He would sit on a large hill and dig in. The enemy would charge up, pila would be thrown, and the Romans would sweep down the hill and absolutely massacre the enemy.

If the enemy didn't charge up into Marius' defenses, there simply was no battle....

Hannibal was the same. He forced the Romans to fight on his terms. Same with Alexander the Great.

Another example with slightly different connotations would be the surprise attacks at night by ancient armies. Only one I can think of at the moment is Spartacus' attack on a Roman consular army while they were encamped at night. Basically catching the enemy with their pants down.

In fact, nearly any time you have a much smaller army defeating a larger army it is due to the fact that the terms of the battle were unfavorable for the larger group.

Prime examples would be Marathon and Thermopylae. Everyone knows the story of the massive Persian army being repulsed by only 300 Spartans in the narrow pass at Thermopylae (except Antiochus III )....

Battlefield tactics 101: Don't fight where you don't want to fight.

There are other indications of the more defensive side to this strategy, but I've rambled enough tonight...

PS: Am I really doing all 33 Strategies of War by myself? Ain't anyone else out there taken a history class, military history class, or military class in general? Come on, I know some of you out there are IN the military!!

#294739 - 10/27/06 01:33 AM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: UofM Shorin Ryu]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

great annotation, UoM. keep it up...I'm reading and enjoying your comments.

(I think these strategies make for excellent dojo-kun )

#294740 - 10/27/06 01:42 AM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: Ed_Morris]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline

Quote:

great annotation, UoM. keep it up...I'm reading and enjoying your comments.

(I think these strategies make for excellent dojo-kun )

Now I just need to find someone to pay me to do this and I'll be set for life!!

#294741 - 10/27/06 06:52 PM Re: 33 Strategies of War [Re: UofM Shorin Ryu]
TimBlack Offline
Exalted

Loc: UK, Brighton
Quote:

4. CREATE A SENSE OF URGENCY AND DESPARATION: THE DEATH-GROUND STRATEGY
You are your own worst enemy. You waste precious time dreaming of the future instead of engaging in the present. Cut your ties to the past; enter unknown territory. Place yourself on 'death ground', where your back is against the wall and you have to fight like hell to get out alive.

I'll join in the critiques Aspiring History student here, main interest in intellectual history, so I guess this is right up my alley.

The implication of strategy 4 is that you want to put yourself in an ostensively bad situation in order to use that 'desperation mechanism' that will save you. Problem is, for every time your desperation mechanism kicks in, there are loads where it doesn't. This strategy unfortunately leads to a situation in which one deliberately stacks the odds against your army, or yourself. Problem is, those odds aren't meaningless. Sure, attacking that heavily fortified position without direct HE will trigger your 'desperation mechanism'. It'll also get your boys killed and force them to fall back, because guess what? Troops don't appreciate being put into desperate situations.

In fact, desperate situations should be avoided if at all possible. Choose your odds so that they benefit you, don't rely on hocus-pocus 'desperation', 'blind luck', or 'indestructability of your convictions' to get you through. In other words, avoid running a platoon at a Machine Gun.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga