FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Galen 2
MattJ 2
Dobbersky 2
royal 2
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
General perspective on training
by Galen
Today at 04:05 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
I am not often inspired
by Galen
01/13/14 07:28 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
General perspective on training
by Galen
Today at 04:05 PM
I am not often inspired
by Galen
Today at 04:03 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
Today at 06:52 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35547 Topics
432379 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#294622 - 10/18/06 04:04 PM Moments of stupidity can make you smarter.
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
When I was eight years old, I was riding my bike down hill, very fast. I was barefoot, wearing only shorts and a t-shirt (helmets and kneepads hadn't been invented yet)

I found myself wondering what would happen if I stuck my foot through the spokes of the front wheel. Being more interested in application than theory, I went ahead and did it.

Immediately my bike went end over end, and I went rolling down the street. I wasn't seriously hurt, but I learned a little about physics that day.

The next year, I wanted to know how far I could ride my bike at full speed with my eyes closed. (there's a pattern developing here.)

It only took a parked minivan to solve that puzzle. I never rode with my eyes closed again.

I've done plenty of stupid things that taught me something as an adult, but I'll save those for later.

What stupid things have you done that made you smarter?

#294623 - 10/18/06 04:17 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Zombie Zero]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I joined the army!

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#294624 - 10/18/06 04:53 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Zombie Zero]
stormbringer Offline
Extraordinaire

Loc: Florida
When I was younger, my cousins had me ride downhill on a bicycle while they threw footballs at me from about 50 yds away. Thankfully they never turned out to be quarterbacks. Another fun time was when it snowed..we would put our sleds on top of a hill that was about 100-150 yds high. At the bottom of the hill there was a barbed wire fence. We would get going reasonably fast and bail out at the last second. I always chickened out, but it was still fun. From my experiences, I learned to never listen to my cousins. (I was a generally smart kid).

#294625 - 10/18/06 08:30 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Zombie Zero]
5353 Offline

Loc: yongstown
when iwa young i used to get into it with my older bro. one day we were playing b-ball and he [censored] me off so i threw a rock at him then ran i thougt i wa far enough away and slowed down and BAM i wa out cold. he had picked up a rock and threw it and it hit me in the temple. when i came thrugh i ran into my house yelling and crying and BAM my dad ko'ed me saying don't ever come screaming in the house like that i thought something was wrong with you, i had blood rolling down the side of my face. lesson learned don't through rocks at my bro and don't [censored] dad off.

#294626 - 10/18/06 11:11 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: 5353]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Jeeze your dads a jerk.. no offense. Yeah I've done a few stupid things in my time (about 16 years worth). Can't remember msot of them, but I've doen some really idiotic stunts in my lifetime.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#294627 - 10/19/06 01:02 AM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Stormdragon]
5353 Offline

my dad has passed away, and no offense taken he was a hard hard man great father(provider) no so in the dad department

#294628 - 10/19/06 02:50 AM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Zombie Zero]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

What stupid things have you done that made you smarter?

Got engaged to a girl believing that her 36G dimensions would compensate for a total lack of common interests and finding her ever so slightly annoying. 3 years and one messy split up later.
lesson learned: do not confuse lust for love

lent a friend £200, 6 months later, had not seen any of it back. Came to a head one drunken evening. Beat the $hit out of him. lost friend. lost money.
Lessons learned: never borrow and never lend. Violence is not always a satisfying resolution to a dispute.

Went to University, partied too hard, did no work, played up to a 'rock n' roll' image that people had of me (and liked me for). Got thrown out, caused terrible pain and worry to my parents.
Lessons learned: All your actions, no matter how self absorbed, have consequences to others. Being popular is not as important as being a caring and decent person. Family comes first, no matter what.

all i can think of right now.

#294629 - 10/19/06 02:53 AM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Zombie Zero]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
To many to list, I was always testing things as a kid and had little fear. Overtime I soon realized fear was a good thing to have otherwise I'd always end up in the hospital.

As a stupid young adult and under the influence at the at the lake, dumby me thought I'd toss some gasoline on to the fire and the flame came right up the nozzle and up my arm singing all of the hair off ... that was stupid. Buddy and I drank all day on my deck many years ago and stupid us never thought about sun burn ... especially to only half of our bodies. When first shaving my head about 4 years ago, while mowing the lawn I thought I'd throw a hat on so I wouldn't burn my head. I did not even realize that the half moon in the back was still exposed and when I took the cap off I had a white head, red neck and a red half moon ... all lasting for about a week.

So much more but that would only bore you.

#294630 - 10/19/06 04:49 AM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Zombie Zero]
grumbleweed Offline

I was eighteen and a proud owner of a silver Lancia Beta HPE 2000IE, a beautiful, fast car. With only one years driving experience I was not really up to the task of handling it properly which manifested in a embarrassing and potentially lethal crash while racing a Peugeot 205GTI, I was about to overtake it on a long sweeping bend when I lost the back end at 90MPH. I rolled several times, snapped a telegraph pole, went through a dense hedge and ended upside down in a factory carpark. Thankfully nobody but me was involved and I ended up with a small cut on my hand. My dad took me to the crash scene the day after in the hope I might find my glasses, which he did, somehow they survived falling off me and avoided getting crushed by paramedics and the tow truck and the driver. I'm not very religious but I often wonder if my guardian angel was looking out for me. Lesson learned, drive with more care and less bravado and arrogance…..oh and stupidity

#294631 - 10/19/06 10:42 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: grumbleweed]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Awhile back I decided it would be cool to get in a little janitors bucket and have my friends push me full strength downhill over a parking lot of pavement for about 40 feet, and then ram into a path of river rocks, stopping the bucket, and fly out of the thing...Pain hurts.
slammed goblet down on the table as a toddler... split the web of my hand wide open...2 stitches.
Decided to test a knife blade on my thumb...didn't realize I cut myself until blood ran off.
Many many more...
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#294632 - 10/20/06 01:04 AM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Stormdragon]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
When I was young, I was too stupid to even attempt anything stupid

#294633 - 10/20/06 11:58 AM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: ButterflyPalm]
5353 Offline

ok i got another one. my cousin and i use to ride our tonka trucks down a hill by our houses that was 3 blocks long and at least a 45% angle.the ride was awsome but the end of the ride BAM

#294634 - 10/20/06 12:09 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: 5353]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Something similar. My first ride on a bicycle. Visiting a friend who lived at the top of hill. Got on the bike, and was zooming like wild down the hill. Then I realized that at the bottom the road crossed through a busy highway...and I had no idea how to stop the bike. The concept of 'brakes' had not been discussed.

#294635 - 10/20/06 09:42 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: harlan]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

When I was younger, my great grandpappy had parrot, he'd peck and bite anyone who stuck their finger in the cage, and what'd i do? I stuck my finger in the cage...several times...when my gradnparents said no...got bit..bled a lot...
Never annoyed the parrot again.

#294636 - 10/22/06 01:13 AM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Stormdragon]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Loc: South Texas, US
My friend and I were throwing a ball over her house to each other (I was in the backyard and she was in the front). The ball got stuck on the roof so I volunteered to get it down. I found the ball and threw it down then jumped off the roof and sprained my ankle. Lesson: Don't jump from anywhere that is taller than you, it hurts.

Casey

#294637 - 10/22/06 01:38 AM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: clmibb]
ButterflyPalm Offline
Enigma

Loc: Malaysia
Yes, you need to be smart to do something stupid.

#294638 - 10/22/06 02:34 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: clmibb]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Quote:

Lesson: Don't jump from anywhere that is taller than you, it hurts.

Pffft!!

You just didn't do it right. I use to jump off of 8ft. shelving all of the time at my store.

#294639 - 10/23/06 05:51 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: JoelM]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

Quote:

Quote:

Lesson: Don't jump from anywhere that is taller than you, it hurts.

Pffft!!

You just didn't do it right. I use to jump off of 8ft. shelving all of the time at my store.

I was 6! I didn't know how to land properly. I know now though and jump off my roof all the time.

#294640 - 10/23/06 06:02 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: ButterflyPalm]
UofM Shorin Ryu Offline
Resident Forum Breakdancer

Quote:

When I was young, I was too stupid to even attempt anything stupid

Unfortunately I was a little sheltered as a child. And mistakes I could have made and learned from when I was 8 I'm now making at 20, with the price being that much higher....

But yeah, I learn BEST through mistakes....and my psychology book agrees!

Best mistake I ever made recently was paying for other people as an act of kindness...for people who weren't deserving.

Went on a bachelor party in Toronto for one of my breaker buddies, 3 day trip. Ended up covering food and bar tabs for some of my other friends who hadn't taken as much money as I did, not because they didn't have it, but because they knew they could mooch off everyone else (damn leeches...).

Now my budget is a little more stretched (I pay my own way through school) because I paid for 3 instead of just myself.

Lesson learned. I always carry just enough for me when I'm around them....and even stiffed them on a bill once, just for revenge...

#294641 - 10/24/06 09:26 AM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: clmibb]
JoelM Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Georgia, USA
Oh, you didn't tell me you were 6. I jumped out of a tree and broke my arm when I was 6.

#294642 - 10/24/06 12:34 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: JoelM]
clmibb Offline
Veteran

hehehe I've fallen out of a tree too when I was about 7. It froze here one winter (doesn't happen that often) and I decided to climb a tree in the backyard with a pair of old Keds and a pair of socks on my hands (I didn't own a pair of mittens). I learned that winter that ice was slick. I slipped and fell out of the tree landed on the only root stucking out of the ground and knocked the wind out of me. My mom came running outside thinking I broke a rib. Lesson: don't climb trees if it's covered in ice or at least get shoes with better traction.

Casey

#294643 - 10/24/06 06:58 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: clmibb]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

You guys are all newbs! The other night, my grandpa decided to put the collars on our curl bar extra tight, so when I went to change the weights one collar wouldn't come off, so I tried to screw it off with a big pipe wrench, putting massive amounts of force on the wrench, then I got my face in the way...next thign I know the wrench slips and bashes into the bridge of my nose, leaving a huge gash and blood spilling everywhere. It bled for hours, and hours...and hours. I could even see the bone and the skin flapped around when I cleaned the cut. I used a stery strip instead of stitches though.
Lesson learned: Be smart, dont be an a s s.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga