FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
AndyLA 1
Matakiant 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Today at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#294622 - 10/18/06 04:04 PM Moments of stupidity can make you smarter.
Zombie Zero Offline
Compliance & Liability
Veteran

Loc: Lorton, VA
When I was eight years old, I was riding my bike down hill, very fast. I was barefoot, wearing only shorts and a t-shirt (helmets and kneepads hadn't been invented yet)

I found myself wondering what would happen if I stuck my foot through the spokes of the front wheel. Being more interested in application than theory, I went ahead and did it.

Immediately my bike went end over end, and I went rolling down the street. I wasn't seriously hurt, but I learned a little about physics that day.

The next year, I wanted to know how far I could ride my bike at full speed with my eyes closed. (there's a pattern developing here.)

It only took a parked minivan to solve that puzzle. I never rode with my eyes closed again.

I've done plenty of stupid things that taught me something as an adult, but I'll save those for later.

What stupid things have you done that made you smarter?

#294623 - 10/18/06 04:17 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Zombie Zero]
trevek Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Poland
I joined the army!

Supporting everyone saying "nuts to cancer"

#294624 - 10/18/06 04:53 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Zombie Zero]
stormbringer Offline
Extraordinaire

Loc: Florida
When I was younger, my cousins had me ride downhill on a bicycle while they threw footballs at me from about 50 yds away. Thankfully they never turned out to be quarterbacks. Another fun time was when it snowed..we would put our sleds on top of a hill that was about 100-150 yds high. At the bottom of the hill there was a barbed wire fence. We would get going reasonably fast and bail out at the last second. I always chickened out, but it was still fun. From my experiences, I learned to never listen to my cousins. (I was a generally smart kid).

#294625 - 10/18/06 08:30 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Zombie Zero]
5353 Offline

Loc: yongstown
when iwa young i used to get into it with my older bro. one day we were playing b-ball and he [censored] me off so i threw a rock at him then ran i thougt i wa far enough away and slowed down and BAM i wa out cold. he had picked up a rock and threw it and it hit me in the temple. when i came thrugh i ran into my house yelling and crying and BAM my dad ko'ed me saying don't ever come screaming in the house like that i thought something was wrong with you, i had blood rolling down the side of my face. lesson learned don't through rocks at my bro and don't [censored] dad off.

#294626 - 10/18/06 11:11 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: 5353]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Jeeze your dads a jerk.. no offense. Yeah I've done a few stupid things in my time (about 16 years worth). Can't remember msot of them, but I've doen some really idiotic stunts in my lifetime.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#294627 - 10/19/06 01:02 AM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Stormdragon]
5353 Offline

Loc: yongstown
my dad has passed away, and no offense taken he was a hard hard man great father(provider) no so in the dad department

#294628 - 10/19/06 02:50 AM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Zombie Zero]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

What stupid things have you done that made you smarter?

Got engaged to a girl believing that her 36G dimensions would compensate for a total lack of common interests and finding her ever so slightly annoying. 3 years and one messy split up later.
lesson learned: do not confuse lust for love

lent a friend £200, 6 months later, had not seen any of it back. Came to a head one drunken evening. Beat the $hit out of him. lost friend. lost money.
Lessons learned: never borrow and never lend. Violence is not always a satisfying resolution to a dispute.

Went to University, partied too hard, did no work, played up to a 'rock n' roll' image that people had of me (and liked me for). Got thrown out, caused terrible pain and worry to my parents.
Lessons learned: All your actions, no matter how self absorbed, have consequences to others. Being popular is not as important as being a caring and decent person. Family comes first, no matter what.

all i can think of right now.

#294629 - 10/19/06 02:53 AM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Zombie Zero]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
To many to list, I was always testing things as a kid and had little fear. Overtime I soon realized fear was a good thing to have otherwise I'd always end up in the hospital.

As a stupid young adult and under the influence at the at the lake, dumby me thought I'd toss some gasoline on to the fire and the flame came right up the nozzle and up my arm singing all of the hair off ... that was stupid. Buddy and I drank all day on my deck many years ago and stupid us never thought about sun burn ... especially to only half of our bodies. When first shaving my head about 4 years ago, while mowing the lawn I thought I'd throw a hat on so I wouldn't burn my head. I did not even realize that the half moon in the back was still exposed and when I took the cap off I had a white head, red neck and a red half moon ... all lasting for about a week.

So much more but that would only bore you.

#294630 - 10/19/06 04:49 AM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: Zombie Zero]
grumbleweed Offline

I was eighteen and a proud owner of a silver Lancia Beta HPE 2000IE, a beautiful, fast car. With only one years driving experience I was not really up to the task of handling it properly which manifested in a embarrassing and potentially lethal crash while racing a Peugeot 205GTI, I was about to overtake it on a long sweeping bend when I lost the back end at 90MPH. I rolled several times, snapped a telegraph pole, went through a dense hedge and ended upside down in a factory carpark. Thankfully nobody but me was involved and I ended up with a small cut on my hand. My dad took me to the crash scene the day after in the hope I might find my glasses, which he did, somehow they survived falling off me and avoided getting crushed by paramedics and the tow truck and the driver. I'm not very religious but I often wonder if my guardian angel was looking out for me. Lesson learned, drive with more care and less bravado and arrogance…..oh and stupidity

#294631 - 10/19/06 10:42 PM Re: Moments of stupidity can make you smarter. [Re: grumbleweed]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Awhile back I decided it would be cool to get in a little janitors bucket and have my friends push me full strength downhill over a parking lot of pavement for about 40 feet, and then ram into a path of river rocks, stopping the bucket, and fly out of the thing...Pain hurts.
slammed goblet down on the table as a toddler... split the web of my hand wide open...2 stitches.
Decided to test a knife blade on my thumb...didn't realize I cut myself until blood ran off.
Many many more...
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, RazorFoot, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga