FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 46 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
ergees 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >
Topic Options
#293449 - 10/16/06 01:37 AM Re: Aikido in MMA [Re: TaekwondoWned]
xuzen_628 Offline
Unknown MA champion

Loc: Malaysia
Quote:

I'm sorry to break the news to all but troll-kwon-do is one of the lowest ranking past-times in terms of usefulness.

There, fixed your typo. No thanks necessary but you are still most welcomed.

Xwf

#293450 - 10/16/06 01:50 AM Re: Aikido in MMA [Re: xuzen_628]
TaekwondoWned Offline

Quote:

Quote:

I'm sorry to break the news to all but troll-kwon-do is one of the lowest ranking past-times in terms of usefulness.

There, fixed your typo. No thanks necessary but you are still most welcomed.

Xwf

Don't be sour just because aikido wouldn't work against the mentally sound.

#293451 - 10/16/06 03:04 AM Re: Aikido in MMA [Re: TaekwondoWned]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: QLD, Australia
Oh dear... it gets better. Against the mentally sound...

If you have a point, argue it cogently. Why is aikido not effective? Where is the citation that states that aikido is the lowest ranking MA in terms of effectiveness? Who conducted that study? What were the parameters of that study? Why would it not work against the mentally sound?

And lastly, why do the mentally unsound keep posting here?

#293452 - 10/16/06 03:18 AM Re: Aikido in MMA [Re: eyrie]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Quote:

And lastly, why do the mentally unsound keep posting here?

As for the small joint argument. I tend to err un the side of John on this, small joints are fiddly to manipulate, I know I find it one of the hardest things to do, granted I don't have extensive grappling experience. Arm bars and chokes are so much easier to apply since they involve gross motor movements. When the adrenaline starts pumping, it is well known that it is more difficult to do fine motor movements, so there may be a question over small jjoint locks there.

On the other hand, studies in competitive sport show that when an athlete has trained sport specifically to use a skill, those who are "highly trained" seem to perform the sport skill just as well as they would in practice. The question is to what degree good sparring can mimic the conditions of an MMA match, which would make both combatants I would think very nervous and "up for it"(in sports terms "high arousal").

As I say, I err on the side of Kogas, but I'm sure that it's possible to use small joint manipulation effectively.

#293453 - 10/16/06 09:30 AM Re: Aikido in MMA [Re: Supremor]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Aikido isn't all small joint manipulations.

However, the heavy focus on small joint manipulations in Aikido serves a totally different purpose - other than small joint manipulations.

#293454 - 10/17/06 08:13 PM Re: Aikido in MMA [Re: TeK9]
Frogleg Offline
Stranger

Aikido is not meant for competitions of sport as it is a budo art. Designed for life and death situations not for competitions of bruises.
As far as it being effective, just look at the the police and military around the world that use it every day to stay alive and subdue attackers that arent out to "win" but to kill you.
Also I will not reply to the trolls that I have seen already, but if you have a serious question I would be more than happy to do the best I can helping you out please send e-mail as I dont scan forums much as evidenced by my # of posts... ...

#293455 - 10/17/06 09:17 PM Re: Aikido in MMA [Re: eyrie]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

Aikido isn't all small joint manipulations.

However, the heavy focus on small joint manipulations in Aikido serves a totally different purpose - other than small joint manipulations.

Just curious; do you consider the wrist a small joint?

-John

#293456 - 10/17/06 11:43 PM Re: Aikido in MMA [Re: JKogas]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

Depends on how big the person's wrist is... doesn't it?

I guess I would consider the wrist as a small joint - on the proviso that I can get my hands around the wrist. On a much bigger person, it is nearly impossible for the smaller person to grasp the wrist/hand, so it may be necessary to move down to smaller phalangeal joints to obtain the necessary leverage.

FWIW.

#293457 - 10/18/06 02:49 AM Re: Aikido in MMA [Re: TeK9]
eyrie Offline
Professional Poster

I think the person most qualified to respond to this is probably Jason DeLucia. I'm not sure how much "aikido" he does or uses in MMA, or what his "Combat Aikido" entails and how far it diverges from the "mainstream" flavor. But I am under the impression that he has successfully utilized aiki principles within an MMA context.

And that really is the crux of the matter. I don't think it is so much the "technique", but rather the ability to successful utilize and apply the technical principles.

Besides, many arts share many techniques in common. There are only so many ways to twist, bend, fold, lock, pin, throw, strike. So you can't say that "such and such" a technique is an aikido or jujitsu or whatever technique.

#293458 - 10/18/06 08:18 AM Re: Aikido in MMA [Re: JKogas]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Just curious; do you consider the wrist a small joint?

-John

Just to play devil's advocate here for a second. A relevant question would be, do MMA guys consider the ankle to be a small joint? If you allow ankle locks, and the wrist is analogous to the ankle, shouldn't wrist locks be allowed?

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga