FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#293376 - 04/08/07 06:08 AM Re: Calzaghe is back! [Re: Kysogkram]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

Well, if Calzaghe is such a champ he should start fighting real contenders.

Calzaghe has defended his title successfully against 6 world champions over the last 10 years, and has never taken anything other than ranked oponents. 43-0-0. 31 wins by KO, 25 of those KO's coming within 4 rounds. All challenges taken, no one avoided. Manfredo is ranked number 6 in the world by the WBC, and within 2 minutes looked like a lost puppy being thrashed by a bad owner- the gulf in skill was that great. I think the ref stopped the fight too early, but even if he had let it go on, it would only be for another 15 seconds to see Manfredo sprawled on the canvas- good for photopraphers, not so good for the health of the fighter.
No one ever thought Manfredo stood a chance, but the smart money was on him having enough about him to put up a fight until the late rounds, or even sneak his way into going to points. But like Lacy before him, he took Calzaghe lightly, thought him old and overated, and found his opinion to be incorrect inside of 9 minutes.

Calzaghe wants Jermaine Taylor in July, that will be a great fight, and a great win for Joe. Maybe then the American fight fans will finaly concede the simple fact that Calzaghe is one of the real all time greats of boxing.

#293377 - 04/08/07 06:15 AM Re: Calzaghe is back! [Re: Prizewriter]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

This all comes down to one man: Frank Warren, Calzaghes promoter.

And HBO. Calzaghe is still not getting the yanks excited enough for big PPV revenue. Manfredo is high profile in the US public eye, and his predictable 'ham n' egger' style was perfect for Joe to show off against. The fight was a PR oppertunity for Both fighters. For Manfredo it was a chance to gain respect for his boxing, for Joe, a chance to reach a wider US audience. Manfredo's dismal performance and the ref's nervous actions mean that neither part of the plan came to fruition. Thats why Warren was so livid with the ref- he wanted a HBO highlight rich display, but the ref saved the punchbag before it split.

Edited by Cord (04/08/07 06:17 AM)

#293378 - 04/08/07 08:22 AM Re: Calzaghe is back! [Re: Cord]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
I agree about the referee stopping the fight. I would have liked it to go a bit further, this is a world title fight for Pete's sake! Having said that, I respect the ref's choice to save Manfredo from further punishment, which WOULD HAVE COME. Manfredo didn't get a good shot in all night, and Calzaghe was frankly taking the p!ss.

These match-ups can't be helping Calzaghe's career, he hasn't got that many fights left in him. Taylor would be a great fight, then I would like to see him unify with Kessler. I have no doubt that Calzaghe will win them both. After that, I personally would love to see a fight with Alan Greene, who has really heavy hands and would be a great Lacey-like match-up, that again I think calzaghe would win. After that though, I can't see Calzaghe fighting much more. So I say get a move on Joe! July is a good time to fight, if he leaves it longer, then he will risk losing the legacy that he certainly deserves.

In the other fights- Amir Khan was awesome as always. He really showed some sitting down on his punches this time and the power was plain to see. Add to that, it was difficult to even see his hands move they were so quick, and you have a great fighter. His opponent may have thought he had an answer, but getting in the ring is a whole different story.

Maccarenelli was also brilliant, albeit against an opponent who didn't deserve to be in the ring with him. Enzo has incredible power, I reckon the most of anybody in his weight class. It's also nice to see how much more of a technical boxer he is since joining the Calzaghe camp.

All in all, this was a case of a group of challengers coming to Wales cocky and unprepared to fight 3 british guys that were way out of their league. It is a very exciting time for British boxing, and the faster the Americans realise it, the faster we'll get to see some more classic fights.

#293379 - 04/08/07 09:30 AM Re: Calzaghe is back! [Re: Supremor]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Kesslers last fight against Andrade:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gnut79s8U-g

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzY6PS6N2nE&mode=related&search=

He seems good offensively, however:

When he is backed up, he doesn't look comfortable.

Too eager sometimes, his hands don't come back to guard after some of his combos.

Very little head movement.

Question is, can he cope with Calzaghes speed? Calzaghe gets in and out. If Kessler is backing up for most of the fight, he may find it hard to cope. In his favour though, he does have decent handspeed.

One other thing regarding this fight: Andrade, although unbeaten, was there to be hit. At one point he actually drops his hands in a show of bravado and lets Kessler hit him 4 or 5 times. Calzaghe will be much, much harder to find.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga