FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 40 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 1
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#293356 - 10/13/06 04:40 PM Calzaghe is back!
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
I know it's still a week before he fights, but for me this is one of the highlights of the boxing year. Bika looks like a reasonably accomplished fighter, but is not in the same league as Calzaghe. He hasn't been knocked down yet though, so Calzaghe might be in for the long haul.

I think most would agree that Calzaghe will win, but it will be interesting to see how well he performs, particularly as there are a number of american fighters who are looking like they want a title shot- Alan Greene has been mentioned, although I think he wants Lacey first, and ofcourse the old brit Clinton Woods has said he'd be hapy to have a go- Woods being suicidal if you ask me.

Anyway, a good chance to see a bit of Welsh magic, and we might as well savour it, as Calzaghe is one of the best fighters this country has ever produced, I personally put him well above Eubank and Lewis.

#293357 - 10/13/06 04:55 PM Re: Calzaghe is back! [Re: Supremor]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

He's been a champ at the same weight for 9 years. He sometimes doesn't get the respect he deserves.

There aren't too many big fights for him at the minute. Hopkins is retiring or going heavyweight, depending on the day of the week you talk to him, Tarver was soundly beaten by Hopkins and is the wrong side of 30. Al Green, by all accounts a talented fighter, hasn't really accomplished much as a pro, so defeating him wouldn't do much for Calzaghe.

I think he should maybe go for the winner of Markus Beyer/Mikkel Kessler fight. At least he'll get all the titles in the super midde division that way. I know belts are not the be all and end all, but if he did this, Calzaghe would become the FIRST undisputed champion in the super middle division. Although he is undoubtedly No. 1, history will record him as the first undisputed champ of the division. That would satisfy Joe's quest for a lasting legacy.

Woods fight would be a decent domestic scrap, but like Supermor said, it would be curtains for Woods. And it doesn't seem to hold much appeal outside the UK. HBO are bankrolling Joe's fights, so if they aren't keen, it might not get done.

Only other fight I'd like to see him in is against Jermain Taylor. But Taylor right now wouldn't have a reason to take it, unless of course it came down to $$$.

#293358 - 10/14/06 08:16 AM Re: Calzaghe is back! [Re: Prizewriter]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Oops, it's today! I thought it wasn't till the 21st. Oh well, gonna have to get the popcorn out

#293359 - 10/14/06 08:27 AM Re: Calzaghe is back! [Re: Supremor]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Providing Joe doesnt break his left hand on Bika's head then all should go as predicted (touch wood).
Whilst there is no one 'sparkling' to match him up with in the division, now that the Lacey fight finally got him some recognition in the States, I would be happy enough to see him just get some good paydays and more respect from the public. He has deserved both for a long time now.

On the subject of Welsh fighters- any of you seen the British heavyweight champion- Scott Gammer? Big guy, great technical boxer, fantastic conditioning, good chin, great jab, 29 years old. My tip for a world title by 2009- you heard it here first

#293360 - 10/14/06 02:20 PM Re: Calzaghe is back! [Re: Cord]
Prizewriter Offline
Professional Poster

Yeah seen him last night Cord. He had good stamina and threw some nice combo's. Klitschko and Vaulev might give him probs because of their size. Would be good to see him in a fight against a bigger heavyweight to see how he gets on.

He is suppose to fight Danny Williams next. Danny was due to be his opponent last night (which I have commented on before, how does losing a fight against Matt Skeleton make Danny mandatory challenger for the British title??? ) but he had to withdraw due to the fight occuring within Ramadan.

If he beats Williams, and I can't see that he won't, he should get a European title shot next year.

I'll say this: Gammer is certainly is a better boxer than Oleg Maskaev, and Peter Okhello, a boxer who has an 18-4 record who challenges for Maskaev's world title in Moscow this December. So don't see that he couldn't win a world title in today's climate.

#293361 - 10/14/06 03:22 PM Re: Calzaghe is back! [Re: Prizewriter]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

He is suppose to fight Danny Williams next. Danny was due to be his opponent last night (which I have commented on before, how does losing a fight against Matt Skeleton make Danny mandatory challenger for the British title??? ) but he had to withdraw due to the fight occuring within Ramadan.

maybe Ramadan will help Danny shed some pounds

#293362 - 10/14/06 04:40 PM Re: Calzaghe is back! [Re: Prizewriter]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Quote:

I'll say this: Gammer is certainly is a better boxer than Oleg Maskaev, and Peter Okhello, a boxer who has an 18-4 record who challenges for Maskaev's world title in Moscow this December. So don't see that he couldn't win a world title in today's climate.

My thoughts exactly. I will champion anyone who even attempts to bring the act of boxing back into the heavyweight division. The sight of a good technician, who was comfortable and athletic at his weight, rather than a lumbering ogre with a soft belly and the stamina of Darth Vader without his helmet was very heartening.

#293363 - 10/15/06 12:40 AM Re: Calzaghe is back! [Re: Supremor]
Ayub Offline
heartbreaker, lifetaker

Loc: London, UK
I thought Calzaghe was going to give some lower ranked boxers a chance in Apollo Creed move for the peoples' love. In fact, I heard he was going to fight none other than Peter Manfredo Jr.

Can anyone agree with or throw these claims out?

#293364 - 10/15/06 04:34 AM Re: Calzaghe is back! [Re: Ayub]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Ayub, those claims are incorrect. Joe has his eyes firmly set on the big money, big names in the states- namely Bernard Hopkins coming out of his recent retirement. Last nights fight went out freeview on HBO in the States to an estimated potential audience of 30 million Americans in an attempt to raise his profile out there. He wants to get Paid $$$$$$$$

And there lies the big problem with last nights performance. A combination of arrogance brought on by having everyone telling him he is a boxing genius for the last 7 months, and an anxious need to live up to expectation and put on a show, led to quite frankly the worst performance of his career.

From the first bell, Calzaghe showed nothing but contempt for Bika, clearly thinking him an unworthy oponent. Gone was the 'matador' counter punching, and in its place was the 'head down charge' followed by some scrappy inside work, followed by some unwarranted show-boating.

By the end of 3 rounds of this tactic having zero success, and his corner screaming at him to sort himself out and start boxing, you would think he would listen. Of course he didnt.

Through these physical, punishing and messy rounds, Bika showed a couple of things. 1. He was stronger than he was skilled. 2. He was dirty as sin, scoring as many hits with his head as with his hands

All the more reason to stand back and do what Joe does best, but he just didnt want to, and so a clash of heads opened up a nasty cut on the side of his eye

Neither of them appeared to have the power to finish the other, though on the odd flurry where Calzaghe put together his sharp straight combo's, Bika backed up into the ropes quickly enough to suggest that a concentrated effort on those tactics may have worn him down into a TKO over time. Bika hurt Joe numerous times with his head, and with the best cleanest punch of the night- to his nuts. That about sums the fight up.

Workrate and (comparatively) cleaner shots ensured a comfortable points win for Calzaghe, but he made what should have been to him a sunday drive in the country, a monster truck derby, and he wears the scars to prove it today.

On the plus side, the weight of expectation post Lacey is off his shoulders now, and whilst it was not an impressive win, it was exciting in its way, so America will add him to their list of watchable battling Brits, and the big fight offers should come knocking.
I hope that when they do, he remembers that the oponent in front of him is more important than the people watching.

A wake up call he should be very glad to have survived in tact

#293365 - 10/15/06 05:32 AM Re: Calzaghe is back! [Re: Cord]
Supremor Offline
Professional Poster

I feel a bit sorry for Calzaghe actually. The choice of opponent was a terrible one. Bika seemed to have changed alot from what he usually does- come forward and use his strength- so this immediately ruled him out of the running. Calzaghe, who generally likes to counter-punch, was forced to bring the fight to his opponent, he did it lazily at times, letting himself get caught in scraps.

Calzaghe's showboating was, as is all showboating, completely unneccessary, I don't know why boxers won't learn this! Some of the stuff Calzaghe did though, showed us just how good he is, particularly when he had his hands low, evaded one punch and threw a left plush on Bika's jaw. There was also some great use of the upper body to avoid Bika's punches. I think that will be enough to get the Americans to take notice.

In the end, I agree with the commentators, that nobody could have made a fight with Bika look good, and Calzaghe has done well to get through the fight, so he can concentrate on better things. Too bad it was the fight that was televised, still I bet Hopkins will want a go.

Maybe after he fights Hopkins, Calzaghe can think of unifying the division by fighting Kessler. That is if he makes it through Hopkins. It is true that he will only get the big money by fighting the Americans, but it will be a real and singular achievement to unify the super-middleweight division.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Taison 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga