FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 33 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
GojuRyuboy13 2
Matakiant 1
cxt 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
Today at 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432510 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 23 of 24 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 >
Topic Options
#292770 - 01/05/07 10:23 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: Chen Zen]
Khayman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wiltshire, UK
Kata is not really my bag it has benefits but I do not see it as the overiding root to the art. Whilst training at university I had the oppertunity to train with martial artists from around the world. Every year there would be an intake of new students many of whom had trained before.
Some of the higher grades that came to train with us were excellent at kata far better than I could ever be but it was interesting to put a kick shield infront of them and get them to move someone backwards with a kick or punch. All of them had trained kihon and kata but few had actually hit anything with force. The key is a mixture of all these elements.

#292771 - 01/06/07 05:24 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: Khayman]
Lokkan-Do Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I agree, before alot of asian arts were modernised (adapted to be safer for civilian teaching (e.g. Ju Jitsu, Judo) some things were taken away from them..for arts had have alot of strkes and stand up grappling..strength/resistance training was one of them.

If you train kata and also do freestyle fighting, along with heavy bag training you should be okay.

I cannot remember the name for it..in karate the advance ranks do (in addition to prearranged sparring)...sparring where all kinds of techniques are used including throws and some grappling (however not much of it is done on the ground unless they study kempo or some karate style that also has ground work..

#292772 - 01/06/07 05:32 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: Chen Zen]
Lokkan-Do Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Quote:

Im also not the student in the dojo who learns all the foriegn and ancient terms associated with my style either.

Well no one can force you to do that..but look at it this way..it's sign of respect.

Here in Canada if you do not speak French when dealing with certain customers they make a big deal out of it. I believe the language and culture thing is just a way of showing appreciation for the roots or culture/country from which the art came from.

It might just be pride or arrogance but people generally do want to be respected. In you to to France as a tourist and try to speak with the locals in French they will not talk to you...they are very arrogant (they know english but the insist you learn some French before you to their country). Someone has to say it because it's true.

I am sure if an english man went to China to teach Savate he would expect the same of his students..for them to learn the english terms that is. It would also make it easier for him to teach them if they learn some "gym english" as he works on learning Madarin.

Quote:

Im not trying to change anyone. Im instead trying to inform people. I WISH that someone would have turned me on to the training I do now when I first started. I went through years of doing the same old thing with TMA and it was junk for the most part. I understand that isnt everyones experience but it was mine. I dont study my art for philosophy I study and pracctice to win. I want to win. No matter what the situation or who the opponent is I want to win everytime. With that sort of goal, it leaves little time for the "softer" aspects of martial training.

That's good Chen, personally I agree with you...I have a friend right now who is learning kempo (he is new to the martial arts) but he won't listen to me when I tell him he is being ripped off...he is paying $84 CDN dollars a month and he is the only one in the class who is at least 5 feet, 10 inches...all the rest are women and children and he actually believes he will get the type of training that will save him in a fight (lack of proper training partners). I cannot tell him anything though..I have to leave him to find out on this own.

It's okay to inform but the tone of your title is a bit sour to start with.

"resistance versus non-resistance training might be a better title" this way you identify the topic without specifically targeting artists that practice kata. Those Krav Maga guys (some schools not all) don't seem to have this concept down either.

I think a better way to get your message across is this: if you go to a gym for 3 months and nothing you learn can work on a fully resisting opponent...you should look for another school. Now, it might not be the art, it might be the instructor, it might be your training partners (much smaller than you) or it can be the way that school teaches their techniques. Be careful not to assume what you learnt is workable in such a situation...try it out! Do in the gym/dojo with a training partner..if you cannot do this..then you are wasting your time..find another place to train.

For those that think their training is slow for a reason and it will take them somewhere eventually...they may be right or wrong..but we need to leave it up to them to find out.

I wouldn't mind spending the rest of my life learning Tai Chi..I am sure I will become better after doing those boring repititve forms over and over for 10 years. Again there is some benefit in repitition and it's not myth...just go to a Tai Chi school and see for yourself.

I learnt how to do a Fa Jing trick my first class and now I am still skeptical of stories I have heard but also somewhat of a beliver that Tai Chi has something interesting to offer...I understand this Fa Jing things has limitations as to how it can be used and I was also told that this is the same concept used in Aikido to throw much larger opponents.

BTW, the Tai Chi instructor threw me while keeping his body completely relaxed and while I was putting up a struggle to prevent his technique from working..he then taught me how to throw him..ALL IN THE FIRST CLASS! It might not be the answer to a the greater number of self-defense situations but it is something rather interesting to experience about the human body and it's limitations. I can't help to wonder if a Judoka who trains fulling resisting opponents every day might find this trick useful.

Lok

#292773 - 01/07/07 12:47 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: Lokkan-Do]
matxtx Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: england
I might be late the gate,lol,though I have recently been given the idea that Kata/form/patterns contain lots of moves meaning different things,some being for combat,some are from theatre,some are old chinese gymnastics,some moves have religouse meaning,shamen,Taoist,hindu etc,some are secret society symbols,some moves tell a story in motion and some are simply fancy displays and some moves other things...all within one form,making it difficult to find what was meant to be for combat.

Too me this makes sense.

#292774 - 01/07/07 09:44 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: Lokkan-Do]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Yeah, I admit the title was probably a little off color. It was an inside joke to BrianS. I was in the karate section and we had sort of stole a thread so I jokingly said I would write a thread entitle as it is. Then I did, just to mess with him a little, it really wasnt meant to disrespect anyone.

#292775 - 01/08/07 09:58 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: Chen Zen]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas

psst...Chen secretly does seiunchin.

#292776 - 01/09/07 12:40 AM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: BrianS]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Oh no my dark secret is out!

#292777 - 01/09/07 11:32 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: BrianS]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

psst...Chen secretly does seiunchin.

..that he learned from JKogas.

#292778 - 01/12/07 01:14 AM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: BrianS]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Oh no!! Thats horrible. Go put on your white PJ's and your little pink belt so I can at least show you the proper way to do it.

#292779 - 01/23/07 11:16 AM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: Chen Zen]
mark Offline
sword of magnamity

Loc: uk
Sorry to reopen this, but can i just ask if this is kata or dance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miR1P6nEkzc

What does Ed think?

Mark

Page 23 of 24 < 1 2 ... 21 22 23 24 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga