FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 34 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
LeroyCFischer 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
Beefcake 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
12/17/14 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 22 of 24 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 >
Topic Options
#292760 - 01/05/07 03:16 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: Ed_Morris]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas

#292761 - 01/05/07 03:40 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: BrianS]
mark Offline
sword of magnamity

Loc: uk
ROFL ED Clutching at straws.

I have constantly said, in this thread that I both practice and enjoy kata.

And I really was just trying to get a bite and see who I could wind up, 1st prize goes to Ed.

Yes I was practicing shotokan simultaneously to yoseikan Budo, is that beyond you abilities to practice 2 disciplines or does your Kata provide you with all the skills you need?

And as I said in the other thread the 10yrs old sensei and his group are nothing to do with me.

But keep it coming dancing man, I really am entertained.

mark

PS: I love the way Chen Zen starts this then sits back and watches all the fun

#292762 - 01/05/07 03:46 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: Ed_Morris]
Khayman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wiltshire, UK
Quote:

Quote:

By the way Ed, you never stopped mark in his tracks, you picked on a random group of Yoseikan practitioners who have nothing to do with our old group maybe researching yoseikan properly would have been a better course of action otherwise we could pick a random goju club and say thats you that is, thats what you do???

sure...because "I'm just having fun".

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...rue#Post1576870
"If you try google with Yoseikan Budo you can get to the main Yoseikan World Federation page."

guess what?...I googled "Yoseikan uk" and it came up on the first hit with a website having a 10 year old sensei.
http://www.yoseikan.co.uk/page7.html

so was it kata-based learning at Yoseikan or wasn't it? and was mark doing Shotokan simultaneously with Yoseikan for 20 years? ...or does Yoseikan have Shotokan kata?

oh wait...or was mark kidding about those things too?

Now Ed, Mark may have been playing with you but you took a swipe at my style and thats what I am taking offense to. Especially as you picked a random site (that we have no links with you found it because it is new) Look at the links posted in the Yoseikan thread you created for more info on vernon bell.

To answer your question the Yoseikan Karate style I learnt was the full budo style this included the shotokan kata but not just restricted to it. Kata is not my bag as I was always geared towards the jitsu side. But thats my personal preference.

#292763 - 01/05/07 04:25 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: BrianS]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Yes, things have changed since the days of Mr V.. Who'd have ever imagined you would have multiple Karateka arguing the value of Kata on the jeet kun do forum.

#292764 - 01/05/07 05:25 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: mark]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
mark

Nope, "first prize" goes the internet troll who gets his jollies by derailing a decent discussion by being nasty and stirring the pot--again, so he can get his self admitted "kicks."

Poor way for one to get ones "jollies."

Where there no childrens sand castles to kick over? Or old people to trip?
No prank phome calls to make?

But its not all bad---I did so enjoy slapping you around, made a pretty boreing day go a bit faster.

Edited by cxt (01/05/07 05:26 PM)

#292765 - 01/05/07 08:01 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: Khayman]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

Quote:

Now Ed, Mark may have been playing with you but you took a swipe at my style and thats what I am taking offense to. Especially as you picked a random site (that we have no links with you found it because it is new) Look at the links posted in the Yoseikan thread you created for more info on vernon bell.

could you show me where I took a swipe at 'your' style? first, I asked about the style in a separate thread and didn't make a connection to you or mark - address it there if you want. second, I took the first link and the wikipedia link. The first link happened to have a 10 year old 'sensei' and mention of Vernon Bell. That's not taking a swipe at 'your' style, that was just what they chose to publicly show as representing that style in the UK. If anything, it's THEM that are taking the swipe at 'your' style.

Quote:

To answer your question the Yoseikan Karate style I learnt was the full budo style this included the shotokan kata but not just restricted to it. Kata is not my bag as I was always geared towards the jitsu side. But thats my personal preference.

I didn't ask what style you learned, I asked if the style has kata as a training tool (since kata is what's on topic for this thread).

so, if you answer my question, then this thread can stay on topic. when you and mark studied Yoseikan, was there kata study or wasn't there?

#292766 - 01/05/07 09:02 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: Ed_Morris]
Khayman Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wiltshire, UK
Quote:

Quote:

could you show me where I took a swipe at 'your' style? first, I asked about the style in a separate thread and didn't make a connection to you or mark - address it there if you want. second, I took the first link and the wikipedia link. The first link happened to have a 10 year old 'sensei' and mention of Vernon Bell. That's not taking a swipe at 'your' style, that was just what they chose to publicly show as representing that style in the UK. If anything, it's THEM that are taking the swipe at 'your' style.

Quote:

I didn't ask what style you learned, I asked if the style has kata as a training tool (since kata is what's on topic for this thread).

so, if you answer my question, then this thread can stay on topic. when you and mark studied Yoseikan, was there kata study or wasn't there?

Common Ed, Mark had been annoying you for a while, you knew what style he practised and looked for it on the net why else post it as we had previously discussed the style on various threads in the past. I dont think you have bothered looking back at the yoseikan thread which I answered earlier.
I used this site as a valuable source in the past, mark likes to have his fun so do you, however, at least he admits to enjoying the arguements.lol

#292767 - 01/05/07 09:45 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: Khayman]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

yes, fun is good. people full of BS is where the real fun is at. and mark is lugging a heavy load. I'm having fun pointing that out.

Quote:

ED, As both Mark and I have previously stated for the nth time yoseikan does have kata.

thanks. sorry that I missed it.

ok, so yoseikan does have kata, but they teach it as dance....good to know next time someone asks me.

Quote:

mark: I practiced Kata for 30 yrs, karate, TKD, Kung fu forms, Iadio, weapons kata.

sounds like a nice blend...lets name it:
"Crouching Samurai, Hidden Wave Form"

haha...see, I can have fun.

#292768 - 01/05/07 09:50 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: Khayman]
Lokkan-Do Offline
Veteran

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Chen nothing you say will stop people from practicing martial arts that interest them.

The kata might not be a good way to train with todays fitness gadgets, but that does not mean training them will make your fighting skills poor. Repitiion does have benefit...I am sure new students at your gym spend some time rehearsing punches in the air or lightly touchig focus pads to perfect their form...kata is just a heavy emphasis on proper form, correct breathing, proper use of strength and other strategies..like Fa Jing (ask internal arts forum what this is, they can explain better) or better yet go to a good Tai Chi school and let them show you during the first class/free trial class if available.

Have you ever heard of a Kempo based art called Katsu-Do? It's basically the moves from kata trained in a sportative fashion (MMA).

Luke

#292769 - 01/05/07 10:04 PM Re: Chen Destroys the kata myth [Re: Lokkan-Do]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Wow, that was a little out of left feild but okay. No problem.

I know the concept of Fa jing. Personally, Im not an internal arts kinda guy. No offense, I just need more proof than simple speculation and ancient mysticism. Im also not the student in the dojo who learns all the foriegn and ancient terms associated with my style either.

Im not trying to change anyone. Im instead trying to inform people. I WISH that someone would have turned me on to the training I do now when I first started. I went through years of doing the same old thing with TMA and it was junk for the most part. I understand that isnt everyones experience but it was mine. I dont study my art for philosophy I study and pracctice to win. I want to win. No matter what the situation or who the opponent is I want to win everytime. With that sort of goal, it leaves little time for the "softer" aspects of martial training.

Page 22 of 24 < 1 2 ... 20 21 22 23 24 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga