FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
old1, Leonar, ManLar, Vimido, raya
22925 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 4
Ronin1966 3
swordy 1
AndyLA 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Martial News
by Matakiant
09/23/14 06:42 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
Recent Posts
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
Today at 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by cxt
10/10/14 10:08 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Wing Chun-internal training
by futsaowingchun
09/23/14 09:01 PM
Forum Stats
22925 Members
36 Forums
35582 Topics
432509 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#292496 - 10/11/06 01:48 PM Trapping as part of the JKD Curriculum
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Do you train trapping as part of your current curriculum? Why?
Do you trap?
Only one choice allowed

Votes accepted starting: 10/11/06 01:48 PM
You must vote before you can view the results of this poll.

#292497 - 10/11/06 07:10 PM Re: Trapping as part of the JKD Curriculum [Re: Chen Zen]
Rumble Offline

I see alot of new age JKD practitioners discard there trapping skills. Even Burton Richardson says he doesnt really focus on any trappings anymore. As for me I love trapping as I have sparred with grapplers and my trapping skills work on them because they are not familair with this technique after the grapplers want to learn trapping but they cannot because they cannot grasp or comprehend the concept of chi sao or sensitivity drills to them its all about brute force. Also trapping skills takes alot of practice and training to keep them up to par. Although training on a wing chun dummy for your trapping is great once again its not really realistic as the dummy is not attacking you and you cannot feel his energy (sensitivity)the best way is with a live partner and with many different multiple partners so you can feel that eveyones energy is different instead of just practicing with the same person everyday.

#292498 - 10/11/06 07:12 PM Re: Trapping as part of the JKD Curriculum [Re: Rumble]
5353 Offline

Loc: yongstown
rumble i am looking for a dvd that can help me with my trapping on the wing chun dummy. i have some basic trapping skills but am looking to expand my foundation can you help thank you

#292499 - 10/11/06 08:54 PM Re: Trapping as part of the JKD Curriculum [Re: Rumble]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Rumble wrote
Quote:

I see alot of new age JKD practitioners discard there trapping skills. Even Burton Richardson says he doesnt really focus on any trappings anymore.

I think you have to define ‘trapping’. I train what I consider to be trapping. It’s not wing chun based however, it’s based on Greco-Roman wrestling. It still serves the same exact purpose but has shown to be more functional in the process. The training methods are ultimately what it comes down to. The wing chun method of training is “old hat”. Wooden dummy training? Forget about it. Grab a human partner and PUMMEL! That’s what is going to develop greater applicable skill.

Quote:

As for me I love trapping as I have sparred with grapplers and my trapping skills work on them because they are not familair with this technique….

I would immediately have to question the skill level of these “grapplers” that you are referring to. I mean, trapping is essentially a grappling skill. To say that grapplers are unfamiliar with a grappling technique is a little odd. And that’s an understatement.

Quote:

after the grapplers want to learn trapping but they cannot because they cannot grasp or comprehend the concept of chi sao or sensitivity drills to them its all about brute force.

I disagree that grappling is all about brute force. That wouldn’t explain Royce Gracie’s success against much bigger and stronger opponents.

Quote:

Also trapping skills takes alot of practice and training to keep them up to par. Although training on a wing chun dummy for your trapping is great once again its not really realistic as the dummy is not attacking you and you cannot feel his energy (sensitivity)the best way is with a live partner and with many different multiple partners so you can feel that eveyones energy is different instead of just practicing with the same person everyday.

That I would agree with completely! You’re speaking my language now.

-John

#292500 - 10/11/06 11:48 PM Re: Trapping as part of the JKD Curriculum [Re: JKogas]
5353 Offline

Loc: yongstown
i train on the dummy and would'nt you agree it is essential to learn a foundation of trapping so that you can develop a feel enabling you to flow into a more freelance type

#292501 - 10/12/06 08:01 AM Re: Trapping as part of the JKD Curriculum [Re: Rumble]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Tough call for me. I put yes, as I use Chi Sao and checks in sparring, but probably not in the same sense that many JKD folks do.

#292502 - 10/14/06 11:22 AM Re: Trapping as part of the JKD Curriculum [Re: MattJ]
jkdwarrior Offline

Loc: belfast, Antrim, Ireland
I find that when sparring with an opponent of around equal skill, that there are significantly fewer opportunities for trapping than when sparring a lesser able fighter or indeed when playing around and showing my non- martial artist friends. The thing is however, that if you were to get into a fight on the street, there would probably be a greater chance of being able to trap the unskilled opponent, therefore i would say that trapping has a significant role to play here.
In class though, if i try to trap more than a few times, then i usually end up getting hit. It's not the fact that trapping isn't very useful, it's that there are certain circumstances where it should be used and where it should be avoided. Against a fast opponent or one with good footwork, forget it, there are better things you could do.
Anyway, i checked the yes box, because we do it in class about every second or third session, and we end up doing it a lot more often when sifu Andy Kimura and sibak Taky come over to teach.

#292503 - 10/18/06 05:56 PM Re: Trapping as part of the JKD Curriculum [Re: jkdwarrior]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
Knowing a few traps is great. I've used basic trapping in almost every sparring match and fight I've been in sincev I learned how and it's been very effective. I like it and I'm no expert either. It doesn't work with heavy gloves o nthough.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#292504 - 10/19/06 05:30 AM Re: Trapping as part of the JKD Curriculum [Re: Chen Zen]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
I think a problem is that many people often look for the traps. Or confuse traps with blocks. In kenpo terms traps are checks, obstructions that get in the way of your attack.

I wouldn't sicard the wody dummy just yet, it's a great way to develop your arms. Huge advantage over a person who has weak wrists and fore arms.

It's like practicing timing and reaction drills with your partner, or light sparring with them. Sure it's great to build that fighters instict but eventually your gonna want to hit that heavy bag so you canfeel what it's really like.
Vinci

#292505 - 10/19/06 07:22 AM Re: Trapping as part of the JKD Curriculum [Re: MattJ]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

Tough call for me. I put yes, as I use Chi Sao and checks in sparring, but probably not in the same sense that many JKD folks do.

I'm pretty much the same except no chi-sao. We just use pummelling of all sorts and hand fighting as our primary energy drills. Doing that with your eyes closed is wonderful (as is any form of grappling).

I'd say that we apply "trapping" all the time, though as Matt said, not in the same sense that a jkd or wing chun guy might. I mean, a good underhook or collar tie as you're uppercutting is quite effective!

-John

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga