FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT, sagat
22914 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
ergees 2
Zombie Zero 2
AndyLA 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
Recent Posts
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
55 minutes 6 seconds ago
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
09/07/14 07:01 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
09/02/14 06:26 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22914 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432492 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#291955 - 10/09/06 07:54 AM How useful is striking?
ThomsonsPier Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
This thought was prompted by a comment in the 'defence against rape' thread below.

Assuming that you are in a situation where you need to defend yourself, how useful are striking attacks as opposed to throws or locks of the type used to maneuver your attacker(s) into a position which opens an escape route? Which is the better (please fell free to provide your own definitions of 'better') set of techniques to apply? Most people who don't practise striking probably won't be able to generate enough power to have a great effect, but locks and throws often require a greater level of confidence to apply (generalisations abound).

My question is mainly focused on the viewpoint of those who do not wish to study martial arts or learn a 'complete' fighting system, for in those circumstances the attackee will presumably have favoured techniques of their own.

War. It's fan-tastic!

#291956 - 10/09/06 08:08 AM Re: How useful is striking? [Re: ThomsonsPier]
Joss Offline
Dragon

"...how useful are striking attacks as opposed to throws or locks of the type used to maneuver your attacker(s) into a position which opens an escape route? Which is... better... "

I suppose the answer would be the one you are better at.

But this is sort of like asking which is better... meat or vegetables or fruit. You can't really stay healthy on a strict diet of just one. They work together.

In the same way, it is very difficult to simply throw someone cold, or put a lock on them, without a distracting strike of some kind. This is especially true for a smaller, weaker person. It is absolutely true without a huge amount of skill.

Edited by Joss (10/09/06 01:59 PM)

#291957 - 10/09/06 10:09 AM Re: How useful is striking? [Re: ThomsonsPier]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Both striking and grappling are equally important to defending yourself. If you lack one, you can be completely overwhelmed by your opponent. This usually turns out to be strikers being overwhelmed by grapplers but that's because most grapplers have some grasp of striking techniques, whereas most strikers have no grappling knowledge what so ever.

The problem with learning only striking is that when you are on the ground, you can not generate momentum for your strikes to take effect. Do not assume you won't go to the ground, it's a possibility which happens more often than people would believe. Also, striking has limited value in extreme close range. Elbow strikes and knee strikes still have value in the clinch but throws and grappling are at their prime at this range.

The problem with grappling is that it ties you up when you use it. If you are in a self defense situation, striking should be your first line of defense because it keeps you mobile and out of range of potential weapons. If the need arises, grappling knowledge should be applied when closer ranges are encountered. By no means should you take things to the ground in self defense, unless circumstances dictate that there is no other option.

I stand by my viewpoint because I train both striking and grappling. Place a pure striker or a pure grappler of similar skill level against me and I'll have the advantage because I can fight anywhere and under almost any normal conditions.

The reason why I suggested a grappling martial art to Aurora is to help her overcome her own personal fears. I would normally have suggested a striking art for self defense as a base to learn from but in her case, she specifically brought up how she was scared of being on the ground. By taking away the fear of groundfighting, she is empowered to defend herself in any situation and does not have to live in fear of being helpless. Not all self defense is about fighting, sometimes it's about courage, the desire to survive and the "commonsense" to avoid danger.

Edited by Leo_E_49 (10/09/06 10:13 AM)

#291958 - 10/09/06 10:01 PM Re: How useful is striking? [Re: Leo_E_49]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
I agree with most of that especially the part at the end about courage and what not.

The one thing that struck me as inaccurate is that you cannot generate power from the ground in striking. Since you are not on your feet then you will not be able to generate as much speed, but you can still get adequate torque. Also there are other options such as hammerfists and elbows. And if you are on top in grappling then of course you can do good damage striking.

#291959 - 10/09/06 10:02 PM Re: How useful is striking? [Re: Leo_E_49]
Hash Offline

Striking is the core of any self-defense system, and the only fast, reliable way of ending a fight. I've never gone to the ground in a real fight. Not that it doesn't happen, but in every fight I've been in, the winner was the one who hit the other guy in the head first. Groundfighting is also suicide against multiple attackers. I've seen people booted in the head, it's not pretty. Always try to stay on your feet. And don't think that many wrestling matches happen out there on the street, if it does go to the ground it's all about fists, knees and elbows. If you learn to strike properly, you can still knock somebody out from the ground.

If your interested in self-defense, learn how to hit, where to hit, and then train to hit first. (and keep hitting)

#291960 - 10/10/06 12:01 AM Re: How useful is striking? [Re: Hash]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
If oyu cant strike or deal with srtriking, you will be in for trouble, but if oyu dont know how to grapple to some degree at least, you wil lbe i nfor otruble. Learn both, but emphasize strikes as they end fights quicker.
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#291961 - 10/10/06 07:07 AM Re: How useful is striking? [Re: Chen Zen]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

And if you are on top in grappling then of course you can do good damage striking.

Forgive my generalisation. From the top position, you can strike effectively. Hence, GnP.

#291962 - 10/10/06 10:39 AM Re: How useful is striking? [Re: Leo_E_49]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
lol. No problem. I forget things all the time.

#291963 - 10/10/06 02:40 PM Re: How useful is striking? [Re: ThomsonsPier]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
28+ years in the Arts I see them compilmenting each other rather then a comparison. You have to get from point "A" to point "B" in a fight they are not going to let you.

So it comes back to the appropiate tool at the appropiate range. I recommend striking as you enter even if grappling is your strong suit in contrast I recommend grappling once in too close to strike effectively.

From my limited experince if you strike well you have less resistance to your grappling, sweeps, throws or locks. Combining them really enhance this effect, like forearm shuto like move (to the neck, face, collar bone as you osoto-gari or slapping the grion before you grab and twist them, while you grab his throat seems to lift him for some reason????

Anyway never plan on 1 without the other. I will add that, of the two I've dropped people without noother neccesary followup striking then Grappling or Groundfighting. Unless you are just totally ruthless, U Groundfight if he is still a threat. RIGHT???

My 2 cent.

Edited by Neko456 (10/10/06 02:45 PM)

#291964 - 10/11/06 07:21 AM Re: How useful is striking? [Re: Neko456]
ThomsonsPier Offline

Loc: Reading, UK
Thanks for thine replies, fellow humans.

I understand that all ranges and techniques are important when considering self defense, but I'm trying to think of the question in terms of a non-martial artist's view. I imagine most people are unwilling to spend sufficient time on striking to make it a truly useful tool (I can't say how much time that is).

I'm not putting myself across very well here. My own view is very much in line with the opinions put forward here, which is to say use whatever you have in your arsenal to achieve whatever goal you have in mind (much as in life). But what about those with a minimal arsenal? With what would you recommend they fill it?

War. It's fan-tastic!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Cord, Dedicated1, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga