FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 31 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BUJU, Pilsungkarate, ALF, old1, Leonar
22928 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 3
Ronin1966 3
ergees 2
Victor Smith 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
October
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
09/25/14 08:50 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by Leo_E_49
01/24/12 02:58 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 04:53 PM
Living a full life violence free...
by GojuRyuboy13
10/22/14 07:20 AM
The Classic Pak Sao drill
by futsaowingchun
10/20/14 10:32 AM
Leo's Judo Journal
by swordy
10/11/14 09:21 AM
The Karate punch
by Ronin1966
10/09/14 03:16 PM
wing chun kicks and knees
by futsaowingchun
10/09/14 12:55 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ronin1966
10/08/14 09:22 PM
2014 European Championships Juniors: the Gallery
by ergees
10/05/14 10:56 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by AndyLA
10/04/14 10:20 AM
Tan,Bong,Fuk & Wu Sao
by futsaowingchun
09/30/14 12:10 AM
Forum Stats
22928 Members
36 Forums
35583 Topics
432511 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#291017 - 10/05/06 03:09 PM Re: Cross-training ...the way Karate used to be. [Re: Ed_Morris]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
Shoshinkan (and others )

An excellent point!

One of the main differences is that back in the day--the "old masters" crosstrained not only with the direct involvment of their main/prime teacher--when possible.

But they did so only after in-depth, long term training in their main style as well.

It was not a case of a "newbie" taking classes from 3 different arts and three different teachers at the same time.

It was the deliberate expansion of study from a well-delevopled and in-depth studied style.

Edited by cxt (10/05/06 03:10 PM)

#291018 - 10/05/06 03:43 PM Re: Cross-training ...the way Karate used to be. [Re: nahate]
oldman Offline
Professional Poster

Chung do Kwon would be my guess.

Welcome Nahate

#291019 - 10/05/06 03:50 PM Re: Cross-training ...the way Karate used to be. [Re: oldman]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
(Oldman...do you read minds? )

Welcome to the forum, Nahate.

#291020 - 10/05/06 04:02 PM Re: Cross-training ...the way Karate used to be. [Re: harlan]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
A really good thread on judo's Kano, part of it addressing cross training with Aikido's Ueshiba.

http://www.fightingarts.com/ubbthreads/s...=0#Post15765803

#291021 - 10/05/06 06:48 PM Re: Cross-training ...the way Karate used to be. [Re: shoshinkan]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Shoshinkan:

Excellent point ~sanctions~ were admission I understood something sufficently (at least one way) that I won't get easily confused... and am capable to explore/examine other doors. And you could be right but I still tend to disbelieve "then" is so radically different from "now". Availability-accessability is likely different but I am confidant there were the identical self-stimulators, blowhards and looneys and always shall be such. Without a depthful foundation-study how do I absorb anything deeply enough? I get lots of variances, nuances and subtleties bouncing around to different arts but no bone-fide depth. 12 ways to throw that single punch but insufficent understanding why its done that way. WHY is always important...

Dig one hole deeply not ten shallow
Jeff

#291022 - 10/05/06 07:35 PM Re: Cross-training ...the way Karate used to be. [Re: Ronin1966]
shoshinkan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: UK
Of course perhaps the biggest difference for our modern world is one of function,

im suspecting that generally the martial arts were of far more pratical definition years gone by.....very serious business,

im also fairly convinced that a weapon would have been the first choice in a ruck.........

World of difference from training twice a week to win the touney aint it! O rperhaps dropping the kids of a the dojo whilst Mum shops................

LOL

www.shoshinkanuk.blogspot.com

#291023 - 10/06/06 01:13 PM Re: Cross-training ...the way Karate used to be. [Re: Ed_Morris]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
I agree totally though purely competitive American Master Chuck Norris stated the same thing, he notes that is why his Tang-soo-do system was improved (competition wise) because he burrowed Japanese/Okinawan hands and Judo in his self defense.

I've always wondered how a system that started from a mix could be pure. But I will say that a foundation needs to be formed before cross training or you will miss alot of fine points, the foundation should be 3rd kyu or Shodan imho.
Then return to your base or continue to build upon it.

Great post. Question who sold that idea? Loyalty to one system. The Instructors coming over? or Teachers of Okinawa? or the Businessmen of USA and Aboard?

#291024 - 10/06/06 02:43 PM Re: Cross-training ...the way Karate used to be. [Re: Neko456]
butterfly Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Torrance, CA
Neko,

I would go a bit further than sho-dan, at least time wise (say 8-10 years, IMO, would give a good base). And I'll also add a few other observations.

One, that some folk will be satisified within a McDojo and as long as they are happy and content with what they have, no problem. Some folk like artificial pancake syrup and detest maple syrup..partly because of lack of exposure which may be due to their systems being cloistered in an environment protecting it from exposure to the outside. Insular groups exist. Some for their own protection against peeking eyes and change, others because they are afraid to show less than skillful use of their style in a comparative (not necessarily competitive) arena. But in any case, the final choice has to be an individual one to take on other extracurricular studies.

As far as competent instruction, this is harder. All of us here seem to think we have effective studies in a syle that offers more than mediocre utility, but one cannot gauge how others train unless you actually go there and see for yourself, or if looking from afar, contains technical understanding which seems to be on a par with what you expect from competent instruction. This competent instruction, btw, should not be cowed by any other instruction that is offered elsewhere. What hopefully happens is that other training brings a renewed interest in what has already been presented...and again this all goes back to good, fundamental teaching in a core style.

Beyond this, I have always noted that there is a slight nod and wink when one goes out to take in other styles, like visiting restaurants with different cuisines. But there is always a slight bit of disapproval if you are vested in a place that specializes, say, in Italian food, and you go out to try the lasagna elsewhere...but no real problem with trying the Mexican place down the street.

#291025 - 10/06/06 03:24 PM Re: Cross-training ...the way Karate used to be. [Re: Neko456]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

I think when karate started being spread worldwide, the intentions were good to encourage proficiency by suggesting to stay with one Art...at least during initial training to define a base.

what I was calling attention to, was places that forbid or looked-down-upon exploration to other arts later in their study (ie: advanced students wishing to better understand their own) concurrent to advanced training in their base art.

I'm not talking about the phenomenon of students aimlessly 'dojo hoping', or someone always looking for something better than the last. I'm not even referring to people who mix and patch a bunch of things to create their own frankenstein-ryu.

I'm talking about meeting up and training with a dojo/person of a different Art and talk/show/train the differences and share observations in order to gain an alternate perspective of your base art. we don't know what insight it will gain, if any...so there is no predefined goal...just see what you see.

and yes, I do think adversity to that way of thinking started when teachers were worried about student retention for whatever reasons.

#291026 - 10/06/06 03:52 PM Re: Cross-training ...the way Karate used to be. [Re: Ed_Morris]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
'Advanced' student is still a student...still learning a particular system. Do you mean, when one is proficient in a system to be able to teach it (what is that...3rd or 4th dan?), but still a 'student' of the art?

Quote:

what I was calling attention to, was places that forbid or looked-down-upon exploration to other arts later in their study (ie: advanced students wishing to better understand their own) concurrent to advanced training in their base art.

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga