FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
futsaowingchun 3
JKogas 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Yesterday at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 ... 14 15 >
Topic Options
#28974 - 05/28/04 10:53 AM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
bjjskn Offline

Loc: usa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by SkillZ:
Does anyone prefer boxing over martial arts. If so y? Me personaly prefer boxing with the concept of martial arts in mind while fighting. What i mean is boxers in general dont know anything but boxing, but someone who knows both could use boxing for strikes and use countering from martial arts such as chin-na, aikido and grappling. Basically boxing has less openings compared to that of taekwondo.[/QUOTE]

Well, boxing is a striking art. Boxing has handwork that is second to none. Training in boxing can't hurt your martial arts career, it can only herlp it.

Train hard bjjskn

#28975 - 05/28/04 11:54 AM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
Yoseikan Student Offline
Veteran

Loc: UK
I posted this a while ago on another thread:

If MA trained like boxers then they would be awesome.
Unfortunately only some do.

Boxing training is generally (NOT always)is of a higher standard. All competitive boxers have to train realisticaly with the correct combination of skill and conditioning training for it to work in competition.

MA don't HAVE to pressure test. So they don't HAVE to train very hard/well. You turn up stand in lines and your a MA.

If a boxer turns up to the gym and gets in the ring - he had better be able to defend himself. or else!

In general, the common factors involved in Training and Competition (which is a relatively good simulant of 'fighting'), are often found in a higher amount in most boxing gyms, than the common factors involved in Training and Real Fighting in most dojos. Thats not necessarily a good or bad thing - its just the way things are. Which often means the boxer will woop the MA arse. Having said that, the MA - pressure tested and properly trained - has much more options open to him, and theoretically SHOULD take the boxer.

Al

#28976 - 05/28/04 02:37 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
badmamajama Offline
Veteran

boxers flat out best punchers there are.
not even debateable.
i;ve boxed, got two golden glove boxers
in family.
i'll not knock boxers, not to mention
when their preping for a fight it's gruelling their work outs.

#28977 - 05/28/04 02:52 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
WADO Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: denver co usa
There are only three weaknesses of boxers that I can think of. 1 They are used to wearing gloves so their punch is slightly different than a bare knuckle punch 2. They are used to only fighting 3 minutes they should fade 5 minutes into a fight. 3. they are not used to being on the ground. I think though that if you study boxing and then practice a little bare knuckle punching that is all the punching you will ever need.

#28978 - 05/28/04 03:01 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
badmamajama Offline
Veteran

[QUOTE]Originally posted by WADO:
There are only three weaknesses of boxers that I can think of. 1 They are used to wearing gloves so their punch is slightly different than a bare knuckle punch 2. They are used to only fighting 3 minutes they should fade 5 minutes into a fight. 3. they are not used to being on the ground. I think though that if you study boxing and then practice a little bare knuckle punching that is all the punching you will ever need.[/QUOTE]

I puch same with or with out gloves
"fast hard and with bad entenions"
Most street fights one on one usually
not always but usually lucky to go 3 seconds
let alone 3 minutes think about it.
and number 3 i'm not implying boxing is complete in it's self ... of course other things have to be added.. i'm talking strictly punching. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG]

#28979 - 05/28/04 03:14 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
WADO Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: denver co usa
[QUOTE]Originally posted by badmamajama:
I puch same with or with out gloves
"fast hard and with bad entenions"
Most street fights one on one usually
not always but usually lucky to go 3 seconds
let alone 3 minutes think about it.
and number 3 i'm not implying boxing is complete in it's self ... of course other things have to be added.. i'm talking strictly punching. [IMG]http://www.fightingarts.com/forums/ubb/cool.gif[/IMG]

[/QUOTE]

I was saying it was good I boxed from the time I was in 1st grade till I finished High School (I went to Catholic School they always had boxing teams). My dad made me quit when I went to college When I started Karate as a Sophomore in High school my punches were already good, the biggest critique I got from the instructors was that I was hitting too hard and I needed more control. I still cant figure out how you can hit too hard, but also they had quicker footwork because they were going for light contact not heavy contact so my footwork improved from Karate training. They also said I needed more sharpness, my punches were heavy but they weren't sharp.

[This message has been edited by WADO (edited 05-28-2004).]

#28980 - 05/28/04 03:43 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
1st Round KO Offline
Veteran

Loc: New York City, USA
boxing is hands down, the most devastating of fighting arts if you are restricted to hands only. its not a martial art as it had no application in warfare such as muay thai or aikido etc, but that is just an issue of semantics.

regarding the idiotic comment about lack of short distance weapons; have you ever heard of an upper cut or kidney punch? just ask mike tyson to show you.

the detraction with boxing and all fighting arts where gloves are used, such as muay thai, is that the training revolves around gloves and hence, people can get used to their application. case in point, blocking using a straight forearm block is very effective aginast a 10oz glove or larger, but when using the same block against a bare fist, your block has to be much tighter. if youre not used to doing this then many punches will slip through. also, as we use wraps and gloves, we dont focus so much on striking with the 1st 2 knuckles. this is why you often see boxers or thai boxers who get broken hands when in street fights because they throw out their full power punches but inadvertently strike with the outside part of their fist on contact.

finally, conditionaing in boxing as in all ring sports is beyond reproach. if you cant last the rounds then youre dead...this isnt point fighting where you stop and start on contact.

#28981 - 05/28/04 03:55 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
John_C Offline
Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1st Round KO:
its not a martial art as it had no application in warfare such as muay thai or aikido etc, but that is just an issue of semantics.
[/QUOTE]

What warring army was taught Aikido?

I think Muay Thai comes from krabi krabong (with Krabi Krabong being the "martial" form). So by your definition, Muay Thai isn't a martial art either.

#28982 - 05/28/04 05:08 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
[QUOTE]Originally posted by pete:
But as to covering up as a defense, or lack of pulling someone off balance and close range power. Boxing lack real close range power punch, needs certain distance and range to be effective. [/QUOTE]

Ah...I don't find this true at all. The uppercut and short hooks are knock-out shots.

Covering for defense isn't good? Compared to what? Reaching out? Nah. Can't agree with you on this. State some reasons why you feel the opposite.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by pete:

Boxing gloves a bit too cumbersome for martial arts strikes, open fingered golves and lighter ones much better.

[/QUOTE]

Yes, definitely use MMA gloves for a lot of your work. The problem with that is the greater chance of injury when going hard. That's why using the boxing glove is mandatory.

Now, I don't think that boxing by itself is complete. You definitely have to add the clinching game with it (ie., Greco-Roman/Muay Thai).

#28983 - 05/29/04 10:52 AM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
pete Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: England
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JohnL:
Sorry Pete,

Total Garbage.

Boxers are some of the hardest hitters around, at any range they punch at.

It's all they do, they train for it, and they're damn good at it.

JohnL
[/QUOTE]
Ali vs sonny liston
George foreman thriller in manilla. You mean that sonny liston and george foreman were able to kidney punch ali, or land a clean shot. Where were so called power shots superior tactics always wins. The close range shots needs drawing back the hands for leverage and angles uppercuts only works if the chin is left unguarded by hand
reflex. Outside the right power shot may look impressive but against a moving and intelligent fighter, like ali the proof is the opposite.

[This message has been edited by pete (edited 05-29-2004).]

[This message has been edited by pete (edited 05-29-2004).]

Page 2 of 15 < 1 2 3 4 ... 14 15 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga