FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bartfast, ZapEm, AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc
22906 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 6
AndyLA 5
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
VDJ 2
August
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
New Topics
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Recent Posts
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Dobbersky
08/11/14 05:03 AM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Forum Stats
22906 Members
36 Forums
35572 Topics
432478 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >
Topic Options
#29094 - 12/23/04 08:56 AM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry to disagree with you, Karl.

Boxing IS a martial art...a very old one, too. It (along with wrestling) were among the very first battlefield arts, and were some of the first olympic games.

Although it is practiced mostly as a sport now, it's origins are as "martial" as the eastern arts.

#29095 - 12/23/04 10:00 AM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you MATTJ someone finally gets the pointthat im trying to get across.

and Karl you cant possibly make a justified statment by giving me a two paragraph statment with a picture of Mahamad Ali. Thats pure BS and you have got to give me something more concrete about what your saying. its like you didn't read anything that i posted man.

#29096 - 12/23/04 10:16 AM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Another thing, who said that i did not appreciate boxers. those words never left my mouth; i simply made an analysis of my past experiences.

and as a fighter you always Analyze what you are training in and who you are fighting against. this is what makes a fighter better at what he does.

And if you disagree with what i am now saying, then that just proves to me that you are not a real fighter.

(Please NOTE that this is so not like me, and i dont want to affened anyone more than i already have, but since some of you like to make rephrences to other fighters. I have not seen any pure boxers in the UFC,PRIDE,Hook nShoot, etc.. and if so i guaranty they lost a vast majority of there figts.)

#29097 - 12/23/04 10:45 AM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Jkogas...

Very well said...all your points are true in my experience.

As a former "street fighter" now "sport fighter" and MA, with about 20 years experiece as an adult (sailor/biker/drugaddict/commercial fisherman/carney) and a nasty temper I do have experience on the street, and in he ring. OK, not a boxing ring, unless you count 2 bare knuckle fights, my sport is muay thai, if it makes a diff for this point. I chose muay thai because it is a lot like what my "street fighting" was evolveing into any way, I`ve always loved to use elbows, knees etc., muay thai just made me better at it.

The biggest difference between me in a sport fight and me on the street, is in a sport fight I follow he rules. In a sense I am being nice.

On the street I aimed for things like your eyes,kidneys,spine,temple,base of yer skull,
with boxing type punchs. They wheren`t always punchs tho, sometimes it is a finger IN your eye, 2 knuckles in your throat etc. When I fought on the street, boxing was ALL the real training I had and it worked MOST of the time. Of course like any good punk I had picked up a lot of dirty tricks too, and eventualy learned how to kick a bit.

About boxing on the street...

It did not work well vs a good kicker with room to kick.
It did not work well with a grappler, or ground fighter.

It really SUCKED vs a knife.

In those cases sometimes I LOST. Lost means unable to fight back, haveing to run, at the very least thats what it meant then, IF I was lucky.

When you lose on the street your corner does not throw in the towel, the fight does not stop because you can no longer offer a defence.
You can get kicked AFTER you are K.O., or even worse. I have one good buddy from those days with permanent brain damage from just such a fight.

We won that one by surviveing, but only because with 5 guys they did not think to put me on the ground, and none of them could kick even as well as I had learned too on my own by that time. The 5 of them sure as hell could have put me down easily. The only possible reason I can think of that they did not was that being experienced with street fighting they did not like the ground either.

Again it is experiences like this that taught me the value of clinchs,grappleing,kicking etc. I honestly feel that if I met those same 5 punks again knowing what I know now, they would be either laying down or running away in very short order.
Unless they took me to the ground, or pulled weapons, then they would STILL win. I have not yet found a way to be confident vs more than 1 person from the ground, or even one guy with a gun or knife.

My "delivery system" (muay thai and shootfighting) is very weak at disarming, trapping weapons etc. I am thinking escrima or arnis perhaps?

Now off to my morning workout....8).

#29098 - 12/23/04 11:12 AM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
Anonymous
Unregistered

I'm also going to have to disagree with you, Karl, and I hate to cause your an ok kat in my book. The difference between boxing and golf, or soccer, is the martial aspect. The skill needed to perform in boxing, the footwork, hand speed, the ability to take a hundred punches (I classify that as a skill) ..makes it an art.

*shrug*

Someone might have covered that already, but I skipped the last posts.

-Ket

#29099 - 12/23/04 12:41 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sorry guys but I have to be stubborn here.
I belive personally that boxing is first a sport and second a martial art. (I begrudge saying that)

First off Wing Chun Kuen dont think you have offended me at all mate because your entitled to an opinion even if I dont agree with you.I'm a thick skinned person by nature so if you have something to say please go right ahead and say it.I would only think less of you as a person if you didn't.

You have to be something special to beat somebody with only using your fists and not kicks or grappling which is why so many boxers would struggle against someone who trains in MAs.
I have seen a few fights where a boxer has come out on top but as I wrote in another post a friend of mine who studies Vale Tudo totally wrecked an ex-pro boxer in a street fight some years ago.It was filmed but I have never seen it.

As I said at the begining I always think of boxing as a sport and a martial art second unlike something like judo for example which would be the other way around.
The ancient greeks wrestled but always fought with weapons which is why I also belive wrestling as a sport.
You have to be skilled to play golf or football at higher levels Ket but they are not martial arts.
Like they say a wrench and a tub of grease dont make you an engineer.

Last but not least its fine to disagree thats what makes the topics so interesting.

#29100 - 12/23/04 12:55 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Karl-

I assume that you are talking about the modern era of boxing/wrestling being "sports".

Back in the day of the original olympics, early boxing/wrestling/pankration "matches" often went to the death. Not very sporting.

If you are strictly refering to the "modern" age, I can see your point.

#29101 - 12/23/04 01:11 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
Anonymous
Unregistered

Yes Matt I guess I am.
I have my doubts that the deaths were intensional as only slaves were expected to fight to the death in arenas.Boxing and wrestling were olympic events in ancient greece like some many other sports that made it to the modern era.

Thousands of years later boxers still die in the ring but again thats the risk you take as an individual.

#29102 - 04/08/05 08:52 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was wondering what do you guys think of Boxing vs Tai Chi Chuan , or even MMA versus Tai Chi Chuan (properly executed that is, it covers all ranges and methods of attack)

[This message has been edited by Sanchin (edited 04-08-2005).]

#29103 - 04/08/05 09:03 PM Re: Boxing vs Martial Arts
Anonymous
Unregistered

As far as more entertaining to watch is boxing, but if you mena doing then i would have to agree with the forum starter, boxing with martial arts always on your mind, use it to your advantage, it cant hurt.

Page 14 of 15 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga