FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
charlie 2
futsaowingchun 2
harlan 1
Matakiant 1
ergees 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#289982 - 10/15/06 08:32 PM Re: boxing vs. karate, not a poll. [Re: ANDY44]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Quote:

Quote:

But I still dont understand, what are these "mistakes" being taught to boxers?

If the mistakes are being taugth or not I am speculating

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?docid=2471286240673428878&q=boxing

Now I see. In your post it sounded more like a direct statement than specualtion or assumption. Really no one art has got it completely right.

#289983 - 10/18/06 03:22 AM Re: boxing vs. karate, not a poll. [Re: Chen Zen]
mark Offline
sword of magnamity

Loc: uk
BleedEasy , Sorry mate, but saying “ Boxers punch harder” is huge generalisation.

The human body only works in a certain ways, to punch the hardest way it is possible for that body to do, needs LOTS of practice in a variety of punching styles, accompanied with speed/strength/accuracy training.

What tends to emerge is a particular stylised punch, or if preferred. A mix of karate and boxing.

Punching power also depends on the moment of execution, a boxer is also worrying about getting hit, so his guard often prohibits maximum use of his body mechanics, a karate reverse punch offers nothing in the way of a guard, but does use more potential body mechanics.

Have a search for Peter Consterdine on the net, his punching power is legendary.

Regards

Mark

#289984 - 10/23/06 01:21 PM Re: boxing vs. karate, not a poll. [Re: mark]
leprechaunway Offline

Loc: Minnetonka, MN
One of my instructors explained to me that karate punches come from the center, due to the belief that the midline of the body was where the soul and power of the person abided. Boxers, on the other hand, keep their arms up higher, because the western style of thought places more emphasis on the head and eyes.

I've also been told (by those in Karate) that boxers punch harder. This comes from the fact that boxers "commit" more to each punch. A karate strike can be just as powerful, but most karate strikes focus on setting up another strike. Boxers use combinations too, but are always looking for that KO punch. In my experience, boxing vs karate ends up with the boxer getting hit a lot more than his opponent, but the damage level comes out to about the same.

Technical differences? Boxers protect their face with their deltoids every time they strike. Also, a boxer's fist rotates in the air until the inside knuckles are pointed slightly downward. Like I said, i don't have as much experience with karate, but in the dojo's I have been going to, the punches are thrown lower and the fists don't seem to rotate.

Really not trying to preach here...I know it's one of my first posts. I've been reading these forums for about a year now, and you guys have given me some good tips. Hope this helps.

#289985 - 10/23/06 02:54 PM Re: boxing vs. karate, not a poll. [Re: leprechaunway]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Quote:

One of my instructors explained to me that karate punches come from the center, due to the belief that the midline of the body was where the soul and power of the person abided. Boxers, on the other hand, keep their arms up higher, because the western style of thought places more emphasis on the head and eyes.

The soul and power? Sounds like alot of hoo haw to me. Power comes from how you punch not where it comes from.
Where your hands are in a confrontation depends on alot of things. You should never just keep them here or there,unless we are talking about freesparring.

Quote:

I've also been told (by those in Karate) that boxers punch harder. This comes from the fact that boxers "commit" more to each punch. A karate strike can be just as powerful, but most karate strikes focus on setting up another strike. Boxers use combinations too, but are always looking for that KO punch. In my experience, boxing vs karate ends up with the boxer getting hit a lot more than his opponent, but the damage level comes out to about the same.

I'm telling you there is not a good comparison table across the board,it depends on the two people we are comparing.
Joe punches harder than Bob,but Sam punches harder than Joe,doesn't matter who does what..see what i'm saying.
Karate strikes do not mostly set up other srikes,some do,but not mostly and the results are meant to be confrontation enders.

Quote:

Technical differences? Boxers protect their face with their deltoids every time they strike. Also, a boxer's fist rotates in the air until the inside knuckles are pointed slightly downward. Like I said, i don't have as much experience with karate, but in the dojo's I have been going to, the punches are thrown lower and the fists don't seem to rotate.

I can tell that your karate experience is indeed limited. Karate punches are meant for specific targets,not necessarily lower ones either.

I really have been missing out on the karate out there I guess.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga