FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 47 Guests and 0 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
Dobbersky 2
MattJ 2
royal 2
Jeff_G 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >
Topic Options
#289822 - 10/10/06 01:29 PM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: JKogas]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
To Jkoga & Chen Zen Comment that Kata are a waste of time, if you think that fighting is just in the ring swing and countering as hard as you can maybe.

Katas IMHO are just a a dictionary of techniques stored in patterns, but if analayzed can be used for defense in real situations. But not in the pattern of the Kata, you draw the meaning out with the use of the technique used.

For example all my years (not many really) boxing, wrestling or just street fighting neither taught me a counter for attack from behind. In this one incident a person arms around my shoulder prepare to choke. The technique (taught in many KATAS )elbow and punch over the shoulder knocked him back and staggered him so I gained the advantage from his attack from the back. Now after facing him any skilled I had attained could have finished him but instantly doing this KATA technique gave me the advantage.
Defense against a weapon like a stick or using these skills to enhance PR-24 development etc.., taken to the street. Taught to others and used successfully All by use of Kata.

Boxing is a face to face SPORT, that can be used successfully in a street encounter. But Karate and all its elements prepares you for the unsuspected and unusually attacks that can happen. As in defense while on the ground or once grabbed etc..

Boxing training is excellent but what could a boxer do attacked from the back except run or try to turn around. Sure he could makes something up that Might work, but he wasn't trained for it. Or teach others to use tools of the trade to defend instead of deadly force/gun. NO.

Lets not put all things that we don't fully understand into a "Does it work in the ring concept" everything that works in a ring is not good. Like having a referee get someone off your a$$, that don't happen in a real situation, You got to do it yourself.

I see Kata no different then Shadow boxings(not as free but the same but really more), its a wealth of information if you know how t use it. Just like a dictionary. Shadow boxing is invaulble and its done by yourself using your imagination to inspire your movements. I shadow box using all ranges even grappling & ground fighting by myself (not in public because I don't want anybody calling the people with straight jacket) it looks pretty ridiculous but I understand what I'm doing. And yes I use a lot of combos that from various Katas in my SB.

Katas are far more valuable then listening to 40-60 yr. old boxers telling the young guys on the bag what their favorite combination was or watching them work a heavy bag. Or still thinking they could fight for a Championship. Off topic but I do get tired of hearing it.

Edited by Neko456 (10/10/06 01:37 PM)

#289823 - 10/10/06 03:30 PM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: Neko456]
cxt Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: USA
GENERAL REPLY

Folks if were going to have the never ending kata arguement can we please, PLEASE start a new thread--perhaps in the Forms section.

No sense in cluttering up this thread with topics that just won't die.

If people are going to play "Night Of The Living Dead, with topics that have already been settled, then the least they can do is start another thread for the discussion.

#289824 - 10/10/06 11:31 PM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: cxt]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Neko,
We have stolen this thread. I invite you to finsih this on another thread. You could call it the "Chen disproves and destroys kata " thread. Just kidding. I dont wish to be to disrespectful to the karateka in their own forum so if you would feel ok doing so we can have the discussion in the JKD forum. Or Here. I leave the choice up to you friend. Be ready.

#289825 - 10/12/06 04:25 PM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: MattJ]
Umbra_777 Offline

Their's something I've been wondering for a while that's related to this whole thing:

Everyone's always talking about how the punches in boxing are so powerful and simple and such, however I've never heard someone talk about the advantages of the straight and reverse punches used in Karate and TKD. Could anyone fill me in on the pros and cons of this style of punching?

#289826 - 10/12/06 09:25 PM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: Umbra_777]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

Everyone's always talking about how the punches in boxing are so powerful and simple and such, however I've never heard someone talk about the advantages of the straight and reverse punches used in Karate and TKD. Could anyone fill me in on the pros and cons of this style of punching?

The potential for power with the typical reverse punch is decent. The drawback is that these are usually trained off the hip which is only going to get you knocked the F' out in a real fight. People who train to actually FIGHT keep their hands up.

-John

#289827 - 10/13/06 08:13 AM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: Neko456]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

I see Kata no different then Shadow boxings(not as free but the same but really more), its a wealth of information if you know how t use it. Just like a dictionary. Shadow boxing is invaulble and its done by yourself using your imagination to inspire your movements. I shadow box using all ranges even grappling & ground fighting by myself (not in public because I don't want anybody calling the people with straight jacket) it looks pretty ridiculous but I understand what I'm doing. And yes I use a lot of combos that from various Katas in my SB.

HI Neko
Performing kata is a means of remembering the techniques.
If I could draw a vague parrellel with a sentence from Renzo Gracie who I think is a great fighter. He talks of "The importance of shadow fighting". Kata is a set of techniques on parr with muscle memory. Shadow fighting is practicing solo with all techniques found in the free movement phase in BJJ.

#289828 - 10/13/06 10:27 AM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: JKogas]
Umbra_777 Offline

Quote:

Quote:

The potential for power with the typical reverse punch is decent. The drawback is that these are usually trained off the hip which is only going to get you knocked the F' out in a real fight. People who train to actually FIGHT keep their hands up.

-John

So if performed correctly a reverse punch has the potential for more power than a boxing punch?

#289829 - 10/13/06 05:49 PM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: JKogas]
Unsu Offline

Loc: San Antone, Tejas
Quote:

Quote:

-John

Yeah and people who train real karate keep their hands up and in front of them when they fight. You assume a lot, still. Most of the older karate guys boxed, wrestled/grappled, played lots of football, fought for real on the streets and so on. Many of them were BBs or high ranks in arts like Judo, fought Golden Gloves, or boxed in the 'hood their entire young lives.

So some person who didn't do any of these things and all of a sudden did an art like JKD or fighting karate or whatever MA/sport thinks they can fight for real? Trust me they are delusional.

This is the truth- you can either fight or you can't. You can either draw or sing or you can't. Most just can't. They don't have a realisitic view of their strengths and weaknesses. They can win in a ring sport, but when confronted with an altercation where there is the element of surprise and no weigh-in, fan-fare or preparation they freeze up and get KO'd by some construction worker from Osaka. 'Nawmean there tough guy...

Get real and quit lumping every TMA type into the category of wackling who can't squabble. You are just as clueless as the folks who thought having a BB in karate or kung-fu meant you could fight. Most that go to learn how to fight without that in them, environmentally implanted in them, will still be weak when it comes to the real deal.

So to reiterate: you can either fight or you can't. Certain activities may enhance your skill-set, but nothing will make a grown person who is past their neurologically/biologically most plastic stages of life a real fighter. Fighters are born, bred then groomed, but if it ain't innate and learned at a young age the best you can hope for is to be in good shape and to learn some combat principles. Luck is your best weapon in a self-preservation scenario if all you do is practice limited fighting and ring sport. It's been proven over and over.

Lesson for today:
Get on Google, search for "clue" and get one...IMHO

#289830 - 10/13/06 06:24 PM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: Unsu]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Unsu --

If you'd like to debate, that's fine. Just don't be an ignorant pr*ck and make personal attacks. Think you can handle that? I appreciate your opinon. Unfortunately the way you are presenting it makes it damned near impossible to read, or want to read.

I AM being civil, if I am saying things that you might not want to hear. Try being so yourself and you might get somewhere on this forum. Otherwise, enjoy your short membership.

-John

Edited by JKogas (10/13/06 07:00 PM)

#289831 - 10/13/06 07:10 PM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: JKogas]
Unsu Offline

Loc: San Antone, Tejas
Quote:

Unsu --

If you'd like to debate, that's fine. Just don't be an ignorant pr*ck and make personal attacks. Think you can handle that?

-John

What's personal? Where's the attack? And aren't you a mod? Why are you calling me a phallus? Doing the exact same thing you did got me booted from FA.com. What's up with the double standard mods?

Look I never said anything about you specifically. If what I posted hit home and your conscience is calling you out then so be it, but don't blame your self-esteem issues on me. Where I grew up we call that "showing your a--".

I can gandle ANYTHING anyone on here, even you, dishes out. Beyond that I looove to debate. Bring it on...

Page 10 of 13 < 1 2 ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga