FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 12
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
07/24/14 11:35 AM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432450 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#289782 - 10/03/06 06:06 AM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. *DELETED* [Re: ANDY44]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
Post deleted by BrianS

#289783 - 10/03/06 08:32 AM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: crablord]
ken harding Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: UK
I don't come in here much but I see another style v style so in the interest of doing something pointless.....

Boxing hands v karate ?

No question about it in the "hands" the most use is karate.
In practice because of the way most karate people train however the answer is boxing.

Most karate people punch air at full extension too much, have poor use of feet, don't align their bodies right, don't apply the right mindset and many have no idea of the point within the the punching action when their fist should land. This is rather a pity as it means they can't reliably hit anything! Boxers spend a great deal of time hitting things and people to develop muscle memory to do just this so then they do.

However, boxer with his gloves gets very used to using them in his defence. It's way easier to slip punches or hide behind those big red gloves that when your fists are uncovered. That said most of the time for delivery of power to target the boxer wins out because of training and mindset.

Karate hands do much more than punch though. They gouge, grab, twist lock, you hit with many different parts of them and so on. What we have now is a situation though where for lack of informed training many karate men can't hit either hard or sensitvely enough (by this I mean hitting an opponent when thier body alignment is broken).

Doubt I'll be back for another x months so that's it from me

#289784 - 10/03/06 09:32 AM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: Ed_Morris]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

since you are versatile and have high standards, I'd actually be interested in hearing YOUR strategy, Andy. what was the famous line from Tyson..."Everyone has a plan until they get hit."

I think that some people say the best defence is a good offence. Although it doesn’t work for every body.

First, its said a jab can be defensive or offensive,
Karate has kizami zuki. Boxing has the jab . Either gloved or bare knuckle.
So the beginnings of a defensive technique might be said to start with techniques such as the jab/ kizami zuki.

Can the individual use it? that is another question

#289785 - 10/03/06 10:04 AM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: ANDY44]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
Are you braindamaged?!

#289786 - 10/03/06 12:16 PM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: Chen Zen]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
Individually,I would put MY karate training up against your average boxer any day,and I have.

Ed stated it best. Whoever lands the first strike.

#289787 - 10/03/06 04:43 PM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: Neko456]
TheFinalOption Offline

Loc: Colorado
I voted Karate- but only because of the variety of strikes it trains and the lack of big cushy gloves to give you a false sense of security. That said in actuality it could go either way based on the fighters themselves.

However, that's aside from the fact that this is a pointless thread, because frankly, if any real (as in halfway intellegent) karate guy ends up fighting a boxer for whatever reason, he will use the other aspects of karate (kicks and such) as his advantage, rather than trying to go head to head with the boxer in punching. Karate focuses more on avoiding/deflecting hits, while boxing largely absorbes them. So it makes no sense for the two of them to have a boxing-style slug match in the first place, as it is a clash of mental strategies, not just technical styles.

Just my 2 cents.

#289788 - 10/04/06 02:42 AM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: BrianS]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

Quote:

Individually,I would put MY karate training up against your average boxer any day,and I have.

Ed stated it best. Whoever lands the first strike.

Agreed who ever lands the first strike capable of incapacitating the opponent or leading to further strikes that would incapacitate the opponent

#289789 - 10/04/06 02:56 AM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. *DELETED* [Re: crablord]
ANDY44 Offline
Revolutionary!

offtopic posts will be deleted

Edited by BrianS (10/04/06 08:59 AM)

#289790 - 10/04/06 11:46 AM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: JKogas]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Jkogda wrote - Then it becomes a "style vs. style" thing which always sucks.

Assuming the boxer doesn't train karate and the karateka doesn't train boxing, I'm STILL putting my money on the boxer 9 times out of 10.

This isn't to say that the Karateka cannot develop those same skills and attributes. On average though, this is just the simple truth.

Again, there are always exceptions to the rule. It comes down to how one trains, always. There are so many karate schools now that are so fearful of people getting hurt, being sued, students dropping out, women and children attending, etc., that they just don't train hard-core. That doesn't happen at the "East Side Gym" folks (or insert your own friendly neighborhood boxing gym here).

Neko456 - Agreed but how can you compare the two.

I thought I posted a comment to this, no problem lets do it again. I feel it unfair to compare a Family center Karate dojo clientel 5-55 yrs old to a boxing gym 15-35 yrs old generally. For one thing the Family center is concern about injuries, its more then just fighting. But lets compare a boxing gym to a 3rd kyu up to Yodan level adult class or cross training senior class, where contact is accepted and expected. To the point of bruised ribs busted noses and lips etc.. , just like a boxing gym.

Once we trained with a guy that wanted to combine boxiing and Karate to split the rent on a place. The boxers were looking like wow, fresh meat. They even said I wouldn't mind going a couple rounds with any of you. This is off topic slightly but after watching us spar and some of our people using boxing foot work swept off their feet, in clinches thrown and stomped/struck or defending from the ground. The boxer turned toward their bags and looked away, they didn't want any of that. Saying man that sh$% is crazy. Off topic but if we fight near to full out its above what boxers deem as fair and is outside their rules.

Boxers are strong strikers, but if it is true that you are really hurt by what you don't see or can't tell is coming Karate hands are more deceptive bare fisted. Boxers punches are more powerful gloved except for spinning hammer fist and such.

Karate defense against combination hands can be questioned, but not if you train adequately against real attacks. Not just Kihon Kumite which is as its states basic training.

I've adapted the boxers hook palm down (not palm facing you)!!!, jab and upper cut.

Edited by Neko456 (10/04/06 11:50 AM)

#289791 - 10/04/06 12:42 PM Re: Boxing hands better the Karate hands poll. [Re: Neko456]
CA_Isshinryu Offline

Loc: California
Boy, if I was figjting a boxer I'd probably do everything I could to kick him on the knee or groin as soon as possible. Then I'm pretty sure my hands would be better than theirs.

It's all bout using whatever tool you have that is better than what they have to respond to it. It has nothing to do with their hands being better. Just my ability to force the fight to a matchup that favors me. A fair fight is any fight I win, nothing else fits the description and I wouldn't go hand on hand with anybody if they even had close to as good as hands as I do. Karate learns to much to limit yourself to something like this.

I know your asking if Boxing hands are better but in the end that's a moot point as you wouldn't even try to find out. Your kick the boxer in the jimmies and when he fell to his knees you'd kick a super high kick to his head.. about waist high.

Page 6 of 13 < 1 2 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Self Defense
Offering stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and other self defense products not available in stores.

Pepper Spray
Online distributor of self defense supplies like videos, stun guns, Tasers and more.

Spy Cameras
Surveillance, Hidden Cameras, Nanny Cams, Digital Recorders, Spy Equipment, Pocket DVR's and more

Stun Gun
Wholesale Directlhy to the Public! Stun gun and Taser Guns and personal protection products. Keep your loved ones at home safe!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga