FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 28 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mohdnabeel, sunny, swordy, jerrybarry24, SenseiGregT
22915 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Ed_Morris 4
futsaowingchun 3
AndyLA 3
Zombie Zero 2
Matakiant 2
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
STX Kickboxing Seminar
by Marcus Charles
09/09/14 06:57 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
mindfullness meditation
by
01/06/09 11:27 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by
05/13/07 08:02 AM
Recent Posts
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
Today at 09:05 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 07:11 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
Yesterday at 06:07 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
09/16/14 04:43 PM
Eugue Ryu
by kolslaw
09/12/14 03:35 PM
Biu Tzu- 1st section applications
by futsaowingchun
09/05/14 10:56 PM
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
09/01/14 03:51 AM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/31/14 09:43 PM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
Forum Stats
22915 Members
36 Forums
35575 Topics
432495 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#289691 - 10/02/06 04:25 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: jc4199]
PaulHart Offline
banned member

Loc: The Real
I use to think that the only "real" Karate was the styles that had there origin in Okinawa. While I still believe that the Karate should be from Okinawa to be real Karate, I have seen some of the junk that has come from the island lately, along with some of the people. I have not been inpressed with it. I truly prefer the "Old" ways, when Karate was for combat and people didn't care about safety, they only cared about training and ability. One of my friends went to meet a guy to train the other day and in a phone conversation safety was one of the things he looked for when training. As a whole, I think the martial arts, no, the people are getting weaker and less able to do what needs to be done. This shows in our Governments, our Lives and our attitudes. When is it okay to invent your own style? I wonder why anyone would ever think to do that, I have years left to learn on my style and a whole lot of other things to work on, why fix what isn't broke. Are others styles really lacking that much, or am I seeing it wrong?

#289692 - 10/02/06 07:49 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: PaulHart]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

paul, no one has the monopoly on whats 'real'. winning trophies is just as real to someone who trains like 100 years ago in a backyard. -it comes down to what are YOU looking for? not what image you want, but which direction in the Art you persoanlly want to study. for many, the superficial is ok....shouldn't affect what you do.

p.s. Heta-ryu ? lol 'heta' means 'bad' as in, 'crappy'. I cracked up when I heard that. must be a joke post whoever mentioned it.

#289693 - 10/02/06 11:06 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: Ed_Morris]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Real Karate is not a sport, but then some people think it is. As you stated its all what you want and look to for in your art.

But IMHO Real Karate is not a sport, there is a difference in the Sport aspect of Karate (I call it playing a heavy game of tag) and Not Karate used to defend one self.

By the way self expression is a part of why systems change name, Heta-ryu is a comprehensive art based on 25-30 years of study, embracing a more Martial aspect of training. It was his self expression, I'm surprise you can proclaim as crap having not seen it or trained in it.

If its ain't a Pure Okinawan art its crap, what art that comes to the USA stays pure. Look at USA Goju, its different then original Goju-Kia but its far from crap imho.

#289694 - 10/02/06 11:19 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: Neko456]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

neko. look up the word 'Heta' in a Japanese-English dictionary. the WORD literally means: "To be poor at something." or "unskilled".

since you are using it alongside the word "Ryu"...it is completely legitimate to think you also intend the Japanese meaning of the word 'heta' (as oppossed to another culture's Female name).

therefore 'Heta-Ryu' translates to 'Unskilled school'. and I think stuff like that is hillarious.

I'm sure the training is grand. but I thought the name was an intentional joke, as if taken from an anime site or something.

http://members.fortunecity.com/fnaa2/story/ch5.html
Quote:

...."Excellent." Heta shut the panel once again. "You now have mastered the arts of Goju Ryu Karate and Kamiya Kasshin Ryu fencing. I hope I programmed them well . . ."

Gadget Boy stood up, jumping off the table. "Hya! Hya!" In two punches, Heta-chan's room was destroyed.

#289695 - 10/03/06 01:14 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: Ed_Morris]
PaulHart Offline
banned member

I am sorry Ed, my tone may seem a bit down. I have absolutly no problem with Sport Kick Boxing or Sport Karate, just that it does not have the same intention, IMHO, as the real deal. I am really tired of People in general, and Karateka in particular who think they are much better than the next guy who don't really have a clue. I have been in Martial Arts for 33 years and I still learn new stuff weekly, sometimes daily. BTW, the Heta-Ryu thing also made me laugh, you are not alone. Perhaps if we could see the Kanji, but until then it will always be the "Unskilled Style" in my mind. Perhaps a name change would be considered by the guy who invented it. #0 years is okay, but were they all in one system? I have never heard of it, so I will not judge it. Back to my basic ideal, your rank is what you earn on the floor, it is not wrapped around your waist and has no color. You may be Judan, but if you cant walk the walk, who cares.

#289696 - 10/03/06 01:52 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: PaulHart]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Everything is not based on Japanese/Okinawan cultures, however Heta is defined in Japanese. It has nothing to do with Heta-ryu (Heta is short for Tenaka-Heta Queen of Egypt during XXVI dynasty, married to Psametik III). His system taught the extra methods and weapons of this martial art system.

Though I see how you came to your decision with use of the term RYU.

It just a way of self expression, still its base was Trad Orgin, just his way/Method/Ryu of taking his art to its roots, as he thought it to be.

I also feel sport Karate is just a small part of training and totally different from the the Intent of Tote-jitsu.

Edited by Neko456 (10/03/06 01:56 AM)

#289697 - 10/03/06 07:43 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: Neko456]
Ed_Morris Offline
Professional Poster

hmmm...never thought of a term such as 'ryu' as self-expression.

the fighting methods from Egypt during XXVI dynasty...how exacly was that passed down? via heiroglyphic training manuals?

besides, psametik III doesn't seem to have had a very good martial track record.
http://www.lexicorient.com/e.o/psametik_3.htm
overrun-captured-killed. Heta-Ryu system from da Nile.

this is what happens when people make up history and mix/match terms they don't know. The actual training could be good Neko, but the name is pretty funny.

sorry to go off-topic.

#289698 - 10/03/06 10:59 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: PaulHart]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Mr. Hart:

Does not all traditional become classical at some point?

And genuinely fear we require another category financial "Greed"/"Business": Quantity and no interest in quality at any level? If money changes hands for it, they'll do it...

How about... "Core karate"? Arts-practices which seek to use the study as a helpful vehicle beyond the surface physical? Using the fundamental information toward a ~different approach~. No trophies here, just a lot of polishing...

Jeff

#289699 - 10/03/06 11:09 AM Types of Karate [Re: PaulHart]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Mr. Hart:

I would wager I could study anyplace in the world and find the same chuckleheads, fools, or skilled practitioners & arts. The physical location is not necessary the "magnet" for a good ~martial compass~.

Is any art ~less valuable~ if the study is earnest? If someone studies an art with a lineage connection to the Ryukyu islands, but no "live" connection... does that mean the knowledge/practice/intent is somehow flawed?

Jeff

#289700 - 10/03/06 02:23 PM Re: Types of Karate [Re: Ronin1966]
PaulHart Offline
banned member

No, but to be able to term it Karate, I feel it should have it's origins in the Ryukyu Islands. You could call it H2H, kick Boxing, whatever. There is an art here called Defendo that is really a decent way of combat, does that make it Karate? I do not think it does. Kind of like trying to get a Buck Knife from Gerber, it cant be done, but that doesn't mean the Gerber blades are in any way bad.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Ryukyu Art
Artifacts from the Ryukyu Kingdom missing since WWII. Visit www.ShisaLion.Org to view pictures

Best Stun Guns
Self Defense Products-stun guns, pepper spray, tasers and more

Surveillance 4U
Complete surveillance systems for covert operations or secure installation security

Asylum Images
Book presents photo tour of the Trans-Allegany Lunatic Asylum. A must if you're going to take a ghost tour!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga