FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 29 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TomRosenberg, jessylin, play, Keith_G, LeroyCFischer
22937 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
jwwmantis 2
simonajones111 1
futsaowingchun 1
Zombie Zero 1
harlan 1
December
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30 31
New Topics
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
2015 Master Yang Jwing-Ming Seminar
by jwwmantis
12/05/14 10:36 PM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by
12/27/06 11:43 AM
Your true goal
by
03/03/06 07:16 AM
Recent Posts
Freeing Hand-Wing Chun's last movements
by futsaowingchun
Yesterday at 09:40 PM
Your true goal
by Beefcake
12/11/14 02:44 AM
The Beginners Guide To Stretching
by LeroyCFischer
12/04/14 02:07 AM
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Forum Stats
22937 Members
36 Forums
35591 Topics
432526 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#289681 - 09/29/06 02:14 AM Types of Karate
PaulHart Offline
banned member

Loc: The Real
Types of Karate. I wonder how many there are. I figured to make a list and see if anyone can add anything to it. I am not talking styles of Karate here, just types of Karate.

Classical Karate Karate done in the old way like Itosu and Miyagi style. Usually a pretty hard work out, with forms a focus.

Traditional Karate Old style Karate that uses new training methods as well as old. They are willing to add what works in the training.

Sport Karate Karate done for trophies or fun. This is a style that is done more by the younger crowd.

Made up Karate Karate that is done by a person who decided he had more knowledge than the other styles and founded his own. Usually this style comes from people who cannot go the distance and learn the style they started in. Unfortunately they teach others so the style continues.

China Hand Karate Karate done by those who study and practice pre Itosu Karate. Usually you can tell these systems because they use the old Kanji for Karate, which means China or Tang Hand.

Can any add to this?

#289682 - 09/29/06 05:32 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: PaulHart]
Dobbersky Offline
Peace Works!!!!
Enthusiast

Loc: Manchester United Kingdom
I wouldn't know where the style I practice/teach would fall into which category AS Ashihara is not a 'sport karate' I wouldn't consider it as traditional karate so where would it fit.

Ken

#289683 - 09/29/06 05:55 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: Dobbersky]
PaulHart Offline
banned member

It seems they call it Fighting Karate, but since it came from Kyokushin, which to me is a Hard Sport Style, I would probably put it in that Catagory. IMHO, Kyokushin is the best Sport Karate out there.

Maybe I should add Modern Karate?

#289684 - 09/29/06 09:14 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: PaulHart]
BrianS Offline
Higher rank than you
Professional Poster

Loc: Northwest Arkansas
I think mine is a mix of classical,tradiional,and made up.

#289685 - 09/29/06 11:16 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: PaulHart]
Kysogkram Offline

Loc: Denmark
Yes, add modern karate. Labeling Ashihara Karate as Sport Karate is a bit of a tough pill for me to swallow .

I'd say that to be labeled as Sports Karate your curriculum should be geared specifically towards tournaments or sparring. IMO this is far from the case for Ashihara karate.

#289686 - 09/29/06 11:50 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: PaulHart]
Neko456 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Midwest City, Ok, USA
Quote:

Types of Karate. I wonder how many there are. I figured to make a list and see if anyone can add anything to it. I am not talking styles of Karate here, just types of Karate.

Classical Karate Karate done in the old way like Itosu and Miyagi style. Usually a pretty hard work out, with forms a focus.

Traditional Karate Old style Karate that uses new training methods as well as old. They are willing to add what works in the training.

Sport Karate Karate done for trophies or fun. This is a style that is done more by the younger crowd.

Made up Karate Karate that is done by a person who decided he had more knowledge than the other styles and founded his own. Usually this style comes from people who cannot go the distance and learn the style they started in. Unfortunately they teach others so the style continues.

China Hand Karate Karate done by those who study and practice pre Itosu Karate. Usually you can tell these systems because they use the old Kanji for Karate, which means China or Tang Hand.

Can any add to this?

My system in this frame of thinking would be Traditional and Chinese Te. And USA/made up My main Goju-ryu Instructor became Soke of his Heta-ryu (Named after his wife, she was a then Sandan) system but kept its Goju base. I was already Sandan then and didn't study his Heta-ryu system, he moved to Kansas. Was it an improvment, venture of love or Ego, it still looked like weapon base Goju to me.

Initally I was shocked that you place Miyagi's direction the same Itosu's high school/college or school base system. Until I pondered, Miyagi did create the Gai-sai kata series to make it easier for the young or new students to learn Goju. You may have a point.

Wouldn't Kyoshin-kia and Ashihara just be Traditonal based made up Japanese systems, I mean just because an Asian made them up don't make them Classical or mordern.

Where would the Eceltic systems fit? No katas, bunkias or bowing, mostly self defense based. Some use the name Karate because its better known, but really its something else.

Edited by Neko456 (09/29/06 11:58 AM)

#289687 - 09/29/06 07:53 PM Re: Types of Karate [Re: PaulHart]
hedkikr Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Southern California, USA
OK...Ashihara & Enshin can be Fighting Karate

Let's not forget exercise krotty (Tai Bo & aerobic kick boking), XMA or performance krotty.

#289688 - 09/30/06 12:23 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: hedkikr]
kempo_jujitsu Offline
Veteran

Loc: illinois, usa

#289689 - 09/30/06 02:52 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: hedkikr]
PaulHart Offline
banned member

I think I would term them Modern Karate. If a man invents his own system after less than 30 years of training, I would refer to that as Made up Karate, more than 30 years and he uses the style he trained in as the base, I would term it Modern Karate. Fighting Karate should apply to all styles. There are those that think Karate is about building a better person, however, IMHO Karate is about life protection. Be it your own, or the Kings or whomever. If they want to change Karate to be a "Do" system then let them do Aikido, Iaido or Kendo.

The exercise stuff I do not consider Karate at all, it is just dance, but then again most Karate today is just dance.

#289690 - 09/30/06 03:19 AM Re: Types of Karate [Re: PaulHart]
jc4199 Offline

Loc: Pevely, MO U.S.A
We do a lot of everything. Our style has its roots in Suri-estu with a bit of judo, Muay Thai and some Sambo.

We do alot of Kata but we also have students the compeat in sport karate, kickboxing, and MMA

Quote:

To this day, Shudo-Kan maintains the high integrity of traditional Martial Arts, yet applies the realistic and modern aspects for its self-defense system

out of our hand book

I guess we are traditional

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga