FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 64 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Shanktotheright, royal, bobgalle100011, agenonline, TooNice
22862 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
THEFOREVERMAN 3
MattJ 2
royal 2
Dobbersky 2
cxt 1
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30
New Topics
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by Marcus Charles
03/24/14 04:39 PM
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by Dobbersky
03/20/14 05:45 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
AKK kata question
by
09/04/05 01:27 PM
Recent Posts
Fighting On Saturday!!!
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:22 AM
Muay Thai Seminar with Greg Nelson - Marcus Charle
by THEFOREVERMAN
04/16/14 08:20 AM
AKK kata question
by MattJ
04/04/14 05:45 PM
Judo Olympic Games 1964 Tokyo, The Video Gallery
by ergees
04/01/14 05:26 AM
Forum Stats
22862 Members
36 Forums
35546 Topics
432378 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Topic Options
#289655 - 09/29/06 02:01 AM Makiwara - Make it yourself!
PaulHart Offline
banned member

Loc: The Real
I have been to a few sites lately that sell Makiwara stands, bases and other stuff for a pretty hefty price. I think I can build one stronger, cheaper and better. I have started the project and will show you each step of the way. So far I have spent around 10 bucks for everything to do my base. You can view my project at

Makiwara Project wep page.

If you have any questions, please ask or PM me.

#289656 - 09/29/06 11:47 AM Re: Makiwara - Make it yourself! [Re: PaulHart]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Thanks for the link, Paul.

#289657 - 09/29/06 11:51 AM Re: Makiwara - Make it yourself! [Re: PaulHart]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
I most likely dont have a clue what im on about but ive looked at makiwaras at our dojo and on the internet. And all ive seen so far is a big wooden block that you hit...wouldnt it be better to just hit the bricks on your house than fork out however much it is for a makiwari? again Im not familier with the subject, just making an observation.

#289658 - 09/29/06 06:51 PM Re: Makiwara - Make it yourself! [Re: crablord]
PaulHart Offline
banned member

Yes, it would be cheaper, however a Makiwara is supposed to have some give. It may damage your hand which would be bad. I still have a lot of work to do on my Makiwara, and when I am done I will be able to move it, and will also be able to punch it without damaging the bones in my hand, while still toughening up the knuckles and striking surfaces. For some it does not matter, they do not punch the Makiwara very hard. I do however, and a good one will last me years.

#289659 - 10/01/06 07:29 PM Re: Makiwara - Make it yourself! [Re: PaulHart]
PaulHart Offline
banned member

I have finished the painting of the base, if you would like to see you can click the link at the first post of this thread. It is looking really good. Next I will attempt to make the wood base. I am still unsure of the way I will do it, but I will probably make it around 3 foot by 5 foot. Any ideas?

#289660 - 10/05/06 08:13 AM Re: Makiwara - Make it yourself! [Re: PaulHart]
PaulHart Offline
banned member

Is it okay to put plywood in the outdoors. I am considering making the top of the base out of plywood.

#289661 - 10/05/06 09:46 AM Re: Makiwara - Make it yourself! [Re: PaulHart]
motobusmonkey Offline

Loc: St Louis
You can use plywood but you will have to seal it with polyurethane or something. I would use pressure treated lumber myself, and then seal that after a couple of seasons.

#289662 - 10/06/06 01:27 AM Re: Makiwara - Make it yourself! [Re: motobusmonkey]
PaulHart Offline
banned member

Thank you for the information, I will search out that type of wood to make the top of the platform with.

I will not be making any more posts for a long time, I am getting rid of my computer. It takes to much time away from training, and I have some reasons to actually train very hard for the near future. I have some trips planned to meet some other Karate people and I want to be at the top of my skill level for these meetings. If you are interested in how the Makiwara turns out, please continue to check back as I will post pictures and tell you how I went about doing it. I have no hammer, drill or saw right now because everything I own except my computer and some clothes are in Florida. This situation has really opened my eyes to the way of people and I have decided that public Karate is not for me. I wish you all the best of luck with your training and if you are ever in Kent, please get in touch if you would like to train a little. Paul is outa here!

#289663 - 10/06/06 02:30 AM Re: Makiwara - Make it yourself! [Re: PaulHart]
Diga Offline

Loc: Hoodsport, Washington
Sorry I got in late on this one.
I understand that Paull H. may not still be checking in on this but I am one that has built all of my ma weapons and equipment so I will give a brief explination of my makiwara board.
Mine is mounted in the concrete floor. It used to be outside but the dirt kept giving way and loosening at the bottom, plus I was a bit imbarrased when the neighbors would ask what that pounding sound was so I took it inside.

It only cost me about $5.00. Actually is was just a scrap from the deck I built on my house. The wood I used is called iron wood or ipe. This stuff is great. It is atleast twice as heavy and strong as typical deck woods. Guaranteed to last 50 years on a deck even over water.
This ipe wood came in 3/4" x 5 & 1/2" width. At first I just planted in in the ground and tied 2 layers of leather at the top 10" but it was so heavy it shocked my body all through my arm and spine. I used a belt sander to taper it down to a little under 5/8" at the top and that took care of it.
Still...if I do not use it for a period of time it is a bit tough on me but soon enough I am back up to 500 plus strikes each workout.

Hope you get what you want out of your makiwara board. It is a great training tool.

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki, Ronin1966 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga