FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 21 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
SenseiGregT, sagat, JFawkes, pluckysaga39, sgtdemeo
22911 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
AndyLA 5
Dobbersky 5
Ed_Morris 4
ergees 3
futsaowingchun 3
September
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
New Topics
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
Chi Sao demonstration
by futsaowingchun
08/14/14 10:57 PM
Decent Fight channel
by FrankyFruits
08/07/14 09:19 PM
2014 European Championships Cadets Athens: Videos
by ergees
08/07/14 10:00 AM
Life goes on....
by Dobbersky
08/07/14 05:59 AM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Bartfast
08/05/14 04:18 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Recent Posts
2014 World Championships Chelyabinsk: The Gallery
by ergees
Yesterday at 03:51 AM
** Introduce Yourself! **
by Zombie Zero
08/29/14 10:50 PM
mindfullness meditation
by log1call
08/28/14 02:39 AM
Biu Tzu- Snake hand strike
by futsaowingchun
08/27/14 09:02 PM
An open letter to bunkai researchers...
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:58 PM
The Karate punch
by Ed_Morris
08/26/14 09:27 PM
Chum Kiu 2nd section applications
by futsaowingchun
08/20/14 09:54 PM
2013 World Championship Rio: The Gallery (HD)
by ergees
08/19/14 05:22 AM
attacked from behind
by AndyLA
08/16/14 04:59 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by VDJ
08/15/14 05:46 PM
Forum Stats
22911 Members
36 Forums
35573 Topics
432484 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#287823 - 09/23/06 12:24 AM Aikido's reputation and representatives
Umbra_777 Offline

I've done aikido for about 3 1/2 years but my college doesn't offer it so I'm going to give TKD a shot. On the application for the club they asked about previous martial arts experience and such so I mentioned aikido and the bit of kickboxing I'd done. In my first class we where doing knife edge strikes and lots of kicks, when I had a little trouble with them the instructor was surprised that we hadn't done them in aikido. When I said that we mainly did throws and joint locks he commented "But I see Steven Stegal(Sp?) beat people down all the time."

I dunno, I found this kindof funny. I think Aikido needs a new mascot

#287824 - 09/23/06 06:57 AM Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives [Re: Umbra_777]
Kysogkram Offline

Loc: Denmark
Must... find... different... dojo!!!!!!!!!1

#287825 - 10/24/06 09:36 PM Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives [Re: Umbra_777]
wristtwister Offline
like a chiropractor, only evil

Loc: South Carolina
When people think the movie martial arts are real, it's time to send them to rehab... Maybe he thinks that people can fly like they did in all the Chinese flicks too...

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Open head
2. Install new brain
3. Restart

#287826 - 10/24/06 11:47 PM Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives [Re: wristtwister]
TeK9 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Northern California, USA
Great to have you back Wristtwister.

His instructor could have meant that he was surprised that he was unfamiliar with attacking techniques such as kicking and punching. Seems to me he practiced more defensive techniques against grabs.

Remember we had a conversation about aikido having the reputation of only being seen as a passive art. When infact it can be used aggressively and blends well with your jujutsu.

-Tek
Vinci

#287827 - 10/25/06 02:42 AM Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives [Re: Umbra_777]
neb1979 Offline

Loc: Australia
Hi Umbra,

I have found that a lot of people that study Aikido as their first Martial art don't really know how to punch or kick very well and if these people move onto another art that is prodominatly a striking art they are usually lost. Reason for this is that Aikido doesn't really focus on striking. Even though a famous person said that Aikido is 90% atemi it depends on what "style" of Aikido that you study to whether or not you will learn atemi.

I have a background in striking arts and thought it strange that my ukes weren't punching correctly and with out proper force, then it came to me not everyone has studied other arts so they wouldn't have a clue how to strike.

Aikido does need a new mascot although you must give it to Steven Segal as it was largely his movies in the early eighties that got a lot of peope interested in Aikido

Cheers
Ben

#287828 - 10/29/06 09:52 PM Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives [Re: neb1979]
MushinKaika Offline

Loc: New York
It depends on the Sensei wether or not you'll become skilled at striking. My sensei has studied a alrge assortment of arts and we've been taught alot of hard stikes along with the moves of Aikido. It mostly comes into play when we cam, direct the persons arm and follow through with a cross punch or elbow strike to the ribs. So maybe Steven Sagal isn't the best Aikido rep, but he's good at reresenting how Aikido can compliment other martial arts.

#287829 - 11/06/06 08:47 AM Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives [Re: MushinKaika]
djemboy2 Offline

Loc: Florida USA
Hi
Thought i would give this topic a reply as i noticed that Steven Seagal's name mentioned, i completely understand that movies are'nt real, but what i think a lot of people forget is that Steven Seagal is Actually a very acclompished Aikidoki, and it is safe to assume that what you see on film has the potential to work, i can hear the cries of "have this idiot committed" or "don't listen to this fool", but hear me out, i have watched not only his movies, but also some footage of him giving Demo's and classes, His Aikido is impressive, and he has knowledge enough to teach, what the novies are portraying is a style of aikido that can potentially work, if you watch them in slo mo you will see that all the Technique such as kote-gaeshi, Tenchi Nage, irimini Nage and so on are performed correctly, i have a lot of respect for Mr Seagal, as he brought a style into the public eye that was not there before, Bruce Lee did pretty much the same thing, i think that you have to take the esscence of what you see in a movie and look at it logically, with the will this wont this work attitude, try out the technique you see and then if it will work practise it and make it part of your instinct, if it doesnt then discard it, to say that someone is not a good ambassador because they are in a movie is very limited, if you think that the only place you can learn is in a Fixed place, with a man or woman who wears a nice clean Gi and bows out of respect, then what you are learning is as hampered as much as sayong that because its on a film it has no merit.
it does'nt matter where you learn as long as what you learn produces the desired result.

#287830 - 11/06/06 09:01 AM Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives [Re: djemboy2]
neb1979 Offline

Loc: Australia
Hey djemboy2,

I don't think the fact that Steven Segal is in movies is the reason for saying that Aikido needs a new ambassador. Don't get me wrong Steven Segal is a very knowledgeable and experienced Aikidoka. I think the reason is what has been said about his life/lifestyle outside of his Aikido/Dojo. Also have you noticed in his video Path Beyond Thought and in his movies that his uke is about 5 foot tall and not very built?

Cheers
Ben

#287831 - 11/07/06 10:46 PM Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives [Re: wristtwister]
Ronin1966 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: East Coast, United States
Hello Wristtwister:

<<Maybe he thinks that people can fly like they did in all the Chinese flicks too...

Your Sensei didn't teach you those secrets too... I was sick that day myself...

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Opening head
2. Installing newer-larger brain
3. Restarting

[Wondering what I did wrong... not really noticing any differences... oh wait a minute I've got to USE my brain to make it work.... grrrrrrr ]

Jeff

#287832 - 11/09/06 02:00 PM Re: Aikido's reputation and representatives [Re: neb1979]
djemboy2 Offline

Loc: Florida USA
i have read about Mr Seagals lifestyle outside of the Dojo and i have to say that as the press never gives a false account of a celebrity, or hounds said person night and day or god forbid should invent things about said celeb, then i have to agree Aikido needs a new representative, we certainly dont want to be affiliated with an individual who has knowledge, skill, and a prescence that brings Aikido into the public eye.
i'm sorry to sound sarcastic, but what has his pesonal life got to do with His Aikido, as far as i can see you are basing the assumption that he is an immoral character on what you read in the tabloids, i think that this man has done as much for Aikido as Bruce Lee did for Kung fu and nunchaku's, his outside life has nothing to do with his representation of Aikido, i know i am coming off as a steven seagal fan, and thats probably because i am and a very big one, i rate him alongside Bruce Lee, higher than Jackie Chan, jean claude van ballet dancer or Jet li, he has what others lack and thats screen presence, so as an ambassador for Aikido, i doubt you will find anyone who has the ability to produce the excitement that he does, and i dont think thats a bad thing, most people started Kung Fu to immitate Bruce Lee when he hit the cinema Screens, look into his background, he was a habitual Cannabis user, neglegent of his wife due to work commiments, used to be a thug in Hong Kong and so on, and as far as his uke's being 5' tall, i think they might be slightly taller than that but i do take your point, i am sure that he does'nt only practise with japanese size people.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Ames, Cord, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga