FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 42 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn, Ron_Cooley, businns
22902 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 11
trevek 6
cxt 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 2
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Iaido movements speed
by TooNice
04/14/14 01:47 PM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by cxt
Today at 01:18 PM
centerline concepts
by Dobbersky
07/18/14 06:14 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:38 AM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
10 San Sik drills-Wing Chun's foundation
by futsaowingchun
06/30/14 11:20 AM
"Ip Man" and "Ip Man 2" the movies.
by TaekwonDoFan
06/30/14 11:02 AM
Forget all that health stuff
by TaekwonDoFan
06/29/14 03:18 AM
Forum Stats
22902 Members
36 Forums
35563 Topics
432448 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#287354 - 10/12/06 05:23 AM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Leo_E_49]
Glockmeister Offline

Loc: Lancaster, Pa
It doesnt matter what wilkapedia says. I have been at the gym and have watched people twice my size with bulging muscles unable to bench what I can bench. If you have watched a lot of olympic lifting or powerlifting, i think it is very obvious at the difference of their body type as opposed to the type of bodies that bodylbuilders have. Alot of strength has to do with central nervous system and how it effects muscle contraction.
A good example of how size of muscles has little to do with strenght or muscular endurance. Where I work we have a guy who is one of the types who always has his sleeves rolled up, has the old fashined "farmer's walk" always trying to show of his guns, when we were doing our PT test for our responce team, the man could barely even do the required number of push ups, needing to constantly rest his chest on the ground between reps. It was pethetic, yet he "looks strong" because he has big muscles. No goiod to have big guns if they only shoot blanks

I never said shorter peoiple can lift more as a rule, symply that there are a vast number of powerlifters who are quite small by bodybulder standards yet I would bet on the smaller powerlifter in terms of strength anyday.

#287355 - 10/12/06 06:07 AM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Glockmeister]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
Quote:

It doesnt matter what wilkapedia says. I have been at the gym and have watched people twice my size with bulging muscles unable to bench what I can bench.

Sure, let's not trust wikipedia, how about if I reference you to Human Anatomy and Physiology by Tortura and Derrickson, they both pose the same answer to your suggestion that I do. What you've seen in your own experience may not be representative of general human experience. Please provide a reference other than your own anecdotal experience to prove what you are saying is true in most cases.

Quote:

If you have watched a lot of olympic lifting or powerlifting, i think it is very obvious at the difference of their body type as opposed to the type of bodies that bodylbuilders have. Alot of strength has to do with central nervous system and how it effects muscle contraction.

Absolutely, this is a very important factor in muscular strength, as I said before. However, it is not the only factor relating to muscular strength, and muscle mass is another factor affecting strength.

Quote:

A good example of how size of muscles has little to do with strenght or muscular endurance. Where I work we have a guy who is one of the types who always has his sleeves rolled up, has the old fashined "farmer's walk" always trying to show of his guns, when we were doing our PT test for our responce team, the man could barely even do the required number of push ups, needing to constantly rest his chest on the ground between reps.

It is possible that the guy has a large concentration of fast twitch muscle, rather than slow twitch muscle, resulting in greater power but less endurance. Hence, he would be a better power lifter but worse at endurance exercises such as walking with kettle bells or large numbers of repetitions of push ups.

Quote:

It was pethetic, yet he "looks strong" because he has big muscles. No goiod to have big guns if they only shoot blanks

Absolutely, non-functional development of muscles is contrary to the purposes of cultivating strength. You can train your muscles to isolate them for the purposes of body building asthetic or for strength, however, this has the same effect whether a person is large or small. Except that a larger person has the advantage of their frame holding potentially more muscle mass.

Quote:

I never said shorter peoiple can lift more as a rule, symply that there are a vast number of powerlifters who are quite small by bodybulder standards yet I would bet on the smaller powerlifter in terms of strength anyday.

I'm saying that as a general rule, larger people with more muscle mass have a strength advantage over smaller people with less muscle mass.

Shorter people with more muscle mass than a larger person and more developed nervous impulses to their muscles will obviously be stronger than larger people. However, larger people can develop the same strength of nervous impulses and can develop even more muscle mass.

#287356 - 10/15/06 04:51 PM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Chen Zen]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Florida
I don't understand why this topic keeps popping up and why people who don't grapple to any extent are the ones bringing it up.

I have yet to actually hear anyone of any significant level of skill or experience talk about successfully grappling multiple opponents. Yet non grapplers often seem to want to imply that these claims are being made regularly......By whom I ask?

Until I have names and faces to put with these claims, I will write these comments off as gossip and baseless innuendo

#287357 - 10/15/06 07:33 PM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Fletch1]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
If you must know, Fletch, it was a brief discussion between me and Migo on another thread in the self defense forum.

#287358 - 10/16/06 11:07 PM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Chen Zen]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

ok. Was there someone talking about successfully grappling more than one opponent?

#287359 - 10/16/06 11:43 PM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Fletch1]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Yes and it wasnt me.

#287360 - 10/17/06 01:27 AM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Chen Zen]
Fletch1 Offline
Professional Poster

Ok. Thanks.

That stuff just drives me crazy. Didn't mean to take it out on you.

#287361 - 10/17/06 06:15 AM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Leo_E_49]
jkdwarrior Offline

Loc: belfast, Antrim, Ireland
Another factor that should be included in this debate is the fact that shorter people have shorter limbs and therefore greater leverage than their taller counterparts. So with the same amount of muscle mass, and the same force of the actual muscular contraction, they are able to lift heavier loads.
Now, in general, taller people can be stronger than short folks because of the potential difference in muscle mass, but this difference is not as great as size alone can account for.

#287362 - 10/17/06 10:05 PM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Fletch1]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

No problem Bro.

#287363 - 10/18/06 05:01 AM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: jkdwarrior]
Leo_E_49 Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: California
True, in most cases the difference is slight. However, if the difference in size is significant it can be more of a deciding factor.

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga