FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 52 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
AndyLA, danacohenn, ksusanc, kellypnik123, leyinn
22904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Dobbersky 15
cxt 7
trevek 6
JKogas 5
futsaowingchun 3
July
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30 31
New Topics
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/14/14 10:49 PM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/11/14 03:36 PM
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:14 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
12/30/13 08:32 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Prizewriter
04/16/12 02:48 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
04/12/12 11:16 AM
Throwing
by
04/23/05 10:58 PM
Recent Posts
ITF TaeKwonDo or Shotokan Karate????
by Dobbersky
Today at 12:04 PM
Gi or no Gi Grappling?
by Dobbersky
07/29/14 05:11 AM
Applied center line theory
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:55 AM
centerline concepts
by futsaowingchun
07/28/14 08:53 AM
language of syllabus
by trevek
07/14/14 04:50 PM
MMA - A passing Fad
by Dobbersky
07/10/14 07:35 AM
Anderson Silva - Leg Break
by Dobbersky
07/09/14 06:13 AM
Throwing
by JKogas
07/03/14 07:40 PM
Forum Stats
22904 Members
36 Forums
35564 Topics
432456 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
#287324 - 09/21/06 02:45 AM Grappling multiple opponents.
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Ms
To be fair, before I start this post I want it to be known that grappling isnt my specialty. I dont discredit grappling in anyways but I dont enjoy it much. Claustrophobia. However I can hold my own on the mat. And I do train in this area of MA.

With that said let me get to the point. Ive recently had conversations where the speaker has said that they would grapple multiple opponents. To these people I say, join reality, we miss you.

The simple fact of the matter is that it is never smart to try and fight more than one person. On the ground or otherwise.

Here is my definition of self defense= the ability to return to freedom.

Mobility is key to this idea. You must be able to move freely at all times to defend, attack, and escape. Lyaing on your back doesnt facilitate this.

When you are on the ground, your hands are full. You must control your opponents arms, (if only momentarily) then you must figure out a way to subdue him quickly all the while controlling your own arms and him fighting back with all his might. While you are doing this you have to hope that your attacker is alone. If your hands are busy working his hands or limbs. Whats protecting you? What protects you once you are so committed? The level of committment to groundfighting is as much or higher than the committment you have made once you are mid flight into a jump kick. Way too much.

I dont care who you are. You could be Royce Gracie himself. two average grapplers.Let me say it again AVERAGE grappler will easily beat out one good one. Especially if the weight is relatively close between all three combatants. And for those of you who say strength isnt a factor in grappling: get real! If thats the case I have some people Id love you to meet on a mat. Then We'll see if your money is where your mouth is. So members, whats your thoughts?

#287325 - 09/21/06 06:28 AM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Chen Zen]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

Loc: Australia, QLD, GC
lol i remember a higher belt telling me once during grappling, " its not strength, its technique", of course using nothing but strength I pinned him to the ground and won the round

#287326 - 09/21/06 08:22 PM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: crablord]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

Happens all the time. People get cocky because there gym partner is weaker or doesnt fight as hard as he would on the street. Then when they get beat boy do the excuses start flying! But oh no it was never strength

#287327 - 09/22/06 07:17 PM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Chen Zen]
Rumble Offline

Ok this is just my opinion so everyone dont get bent out of shape especially the moderators lol....pure power or strenght can beat almost any technique. Take for instance Matt Hughes without his freakish strenght he would be nothing. By the way I cant wait for the BJPenn vs. Matt Hughes fight. Im rooting for my local brother BJ to knock the crap out of Hughes.

Edited by Rumble (09/22/06 07:30 PM)

#287328 - 09/22/06 07:28 PM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Rumble]
MattJ Offline
Free Rhinoplasty!
Prolific

Loc: York PA. USA
Quote:

Ok this is just my opinion so everyone dont get bent out of shape especially the moderators lol....pure power or strenght can beat almost any technique.

There has to be an extreme strength imbalance between the opponents for that to be true.

#287329 - 09/22/06 07:57 PM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: MattJ]
Rumble Offline

Quote:

Quote:

Ok this is just my opinion so everyone dont get bent out of shape especially the moderators lol....pure power or strenght can beat almost any technique.

There has to be an extreme strength imbalance between the opponents for that to be true.

Wrong. All you need is a little strength imbalance or that little edge for the outcome to be in your favor.

Edited by Rumble (09/22/06 08:17 PM)

#287330 - 09/22/06 08:14 PM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Rumble]
Chen Zen Offline
Professional Poster

I believe it would have to be a fairly substantial difference. Not huge but not small either.

#287331 - 09/22/06 11:26 PM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Chen Zen]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

yep, if anyone has seen fearless, that fight scene with the big guy? Thats the type of imbalance that you would need lol. Take bob sapp for instance, hes huge, but cro cop beat him. I agree that power can be matched to technique, but power only gets you so far. A blend is good

#287332 - 09/23/06 01:11 AM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: crablord]
Rumble Offline

Quote:

yep, if anyone has seen fearless, that fight scene with the big guy? Thats the type of imbalance that you would need lol. Take bob sapp for instance, hes huge, but cro cop beat him. I agree that power can be matched to technique, but power only gets you so far. A blend is good

Oh no crablord you been watching too many JetLee movies lol...As that big guy in the movie Fearless in real life would rip Jet lee in half with ease and as for Bob Sapp as big as he is for his weight he is weak for his size and cant fight for sh!t lol.....Also size and pure power is two different things. Also that big guy in the fearless movie is the same guy in the new Ongbak movie I forget what the original title was but in the American version I think its called the Protector or something like that lol.....but it is a good movie with all tommys stunts,acrobatics and flashy moves I especially like the part where he was fighting the multiple guys using the joint bone breaking techniques. AAHH sh1t now what was I talking about again lol lol......

Edited by Rumble (09/23/06 01:13 AM)

#287333 - 09/23/06 01:16 AM Re: Grappling multiple opponents. [Re: Rumble]
crablord Offline
th3 t4sty sn4ck

He was in troy too. big guy at the start? I met him too once lives in brisbane. Oh yeah i didnt say jet would win, i said if technique could really lose to power you would need a big imbalance, like a guy jets size vs bigdude. technique of course not being the silly little breakdance kicks he did!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Cord, JKogas, MattJ, Reiki 

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Stun Guns
Variety of stun gun devices for your protection

Buy Pepper Spray
Worry about your family when you’re not around? Visit us today to protect everything you value.

Koryu.com
Accurate information on the ancient martial traditions of the Japanese samurai

C2 Taser
Protect yourself and loved ones from CRIME with the latest C2 Taser citizen model. Very effective.

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga