FightingArts Estore
Pressure Points
From a medical professional, straight facts on where and how to hit that can save your life.
Stretching
Limber or not, anyone can add height and speed to their kicks with this method.
Calligraphy
For yourself or as a gift, calligraphy is special, unique and lasting.
Karate Uniforms
Look your best. Max snap. low cost & superior crafted: “Peak Performance Gold” 16 oz uniforms.

MOTOBU
Classic book translation. Hard to find. Not in stores.
Who's Online
0 registered (), 49 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
LeroyCFischer, JadeKing, Beefcake, WesJones, simonajones111
22933 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
futsaowingchun 2
charlie 2
simonajones111 1
GojuRyuboy13 1
Zombie Zero 1
November
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
2 3 4 5 6 7 8
9 10 11 12 13 14 15
16 17 18 19 20 21 22
23 24 25 26 27 28 29
New Topics
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/30/13 07:41 AM
Where Are They Now?
by Dobbersky
05/30/13 08:08 AM
MA style video library
by
03/22/06 03:18 PM
Recent Posts
unrecognized kata
by William_Bent
11/19/14 07:05 PM
I gained a lot of month in the last few months
by simonajones111
11/19/14 04:54 AM
Siu Lin Tao-3rd section applications
by futsaowingchun
11/13/14 06:48 PM
Screen fighting course UK December 2014
by charlie
11/11/14 04:09 PM
MA style video library
by charlie
11/11/14 04:05 PM
Siu Lin Tao-1st section Pak Sao explanations
by futsaowingchun
11/09/14 10:30 PM
The Karate punch
by Matakiant
10/29/14 10:01 PM
I spy kata bunkai..
by GojuRyuboy13
10/29/14 08:28 AM
Judo 2014 World Championships Juniors: The Gallery
by ergees
10/25/14 04:53 PM
Forum Stats
22933 Members
36 Forums
35589 Topics
432521 Posts

Max Online: 424 @ 09/24/13 10:38 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#286689 - 09/19/06 12:17 PM Motivation
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Loc: Salem, OR
How many of oyu started the martial arts and training becuase of insecurity and a feeling of inadacuacy? I know for me it's a fear of not being good enough, good enough to protect myself, or people I love or whatever, and feeling unsure of myself, so I continually have to prove myself in training and life. Becuase of this I can be one of then icest guys around or a real bully who likes to start fights.
How does one deal with this severe insecurity and fear?
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#286690 - 09/19/06 01:28 PM Re: Motivation [Re: Stormdragon]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
Hope you don't mind...but I thought this post might get more responses if I put it in the Martial Talk subforum (so I'm moving it).

I started kobudo for exercise...to be physically stronger. I started karate because it put a spell on me.

As for fears/insecurities...they weren't a motivating factor to start MA...but I've discovered that MA is a good way to 'get in touch with myself'...and work on these internal aspects.

#286691 - 09/19/06 01:48 PM Re: Motivation [Re: Stormdragon]
stormbringer Offline
Extraordinaire

Loc: Florida
I started for different reasons than why I keep doing it. Fear has never been my motivation. I'm still afraid of heights and I was afraid of the dark until I was about 13. The only way to conquer your fear is to build confidence within yourself. As a human, there's only so much we can do, but when we do our best without worries, we rise above our limits and achieve new vistas never before imagined. In reiteration: have confidence!

#286692 - 09/19/06 02:57 PM Re: Motivation [Re: Stormdragon]
Cord Offline
Prolific

Loc: Cambridge UK.
Quote:

You either get over it, or live with it. Simple choice. The trick is to be able to look inside and be honest enough with yourself as to where these fears stem from. They are a symptom that will go away if the 'illness' is treated.

Some fear is a natural thing in regards to an actual confrontation though- its adrenaline dump and everyone gets it to some extent. Dont ever try to stop being afraid in the face of very real danger, just learn to operate through it.

Edited by Cord (09/19/06 03:01 PM)

#286693 - 09/19/06 03:10 PM Re: Motivation [Re: Stormdragon]
JKogas Offline
Prolific

Loc: North Carolina
Quote:

By discovering the root causes of those fears and making sure that we overcome them through appropriate means while taking care to ensure that we don't feed and reinforce these insecurities.

I am convinced that certain approaches actually do more harm than good and really end up feeding the paranoia and insecurity that people feel.

-John

#286694 - 09/19/06 03:16 PM Re: Motivation [Re: JKogas]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

What if these fears come form lot's of past bullying and being beat up on and knowing peopel getting hurt and beaten by some very bad guys?
This isn't by any means the only reason I train but it is a very important reason and is why everything I train in seriously, has a focus con combat effectiveness and what will make me a btter combatant. Besides that I'm just fascinated by the complexity of the martial arts.
I dotn want to be helpless or unable to od what needs to be done when push comes to shove and that is the fire that drives me to be the best I can be, and of ocurse excessive testosterone from being a teen.

Jkogas, cna oyu elaborate on the htign about some solutions doign more harm than good?

Edited by Stormdragon (09/19/06 03:17 PM)
Member of DaJoGen MMA school under Dave Hagen and Team Chaos fight team under Denver Mangiyatan and Chris Toquero, ran out of Zanshin Martial Arts in Salem Oregon: http://www.zanshinarts.org/Home.aspx,

#286695 - 09/19/06 03:21 PM Re: Motivation [Re: JKogas]
RazorFoot Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Seated at the computer, DUH
I simply got tired of have my a$$ handed to me by my older brother all the time as a child. We started training together and then I started to move past his level and he stopped training. I kept going and have continued to do so.

Part of it was to earn my father's respect to which in the end, I now see was silly and futile. Part of it was so I could respect myself. Once I trained, I found my inner strength.

There is more but that is best saved for another post.

Scottie

#286696 - 09/19/06 09:37 PM Re: Motivation [Re: Stormdragon]
Dereck Offline
Prolific

Loc: Great White North
Again much like myself Stormdragon.

This goes back to when I started weight lifting. I need that to help with stress and anger issues as well as insecurity issues. My hair was thinning (dam heredity ), I had put on some weight (165 to 193 lbs in just over a year), I had some eye issues that after a surgery required me to wear glasses, and of course issues if I could protect myself and others. I felt weak and timid around others and I did not put much faith in myself.

Weight lifting did wonders for me and I not only lost the weight but I gain more muscle and became very fit. I felt better about myself and how I looked and it gave me confidence to show that to others. I had PRK eye surgery and no longer needed glasses. I cut my hair shorter and though I was thin it wasn't too bad. Then I got into martial arts and it help further with stress and anger issues and gave me more balance. I lost some muscle and strength but in turn I gained speed and endurance plus skills and techniques. I opted to shave my head because I didn't care what people thought and if they didn't like it then I didn't have a problem correcting them.

Self defense was never an issue and still isn't though it is a bonus. Competing wasn't an issue and still isn't though it is a bonus as well. But better myself and feeling more confident, plus dealing with stress and anger issues were the most important things and some of the biggest reasons I continue. Not only that I don't like quiting and I've made some great friends through it.

When you feel confident on the inside you portray it on the outside. Sure there are still some fears and insecurities but knowing they are there and that I'm doing something to help dealing with them, that is the most important thing. Fear is healthy and facing it makes you stronger.

#286697 - 09/20/06 11:41 AM Re: Motivation [Re: Dereck]
Stormdragon Offline
Who Dares Wins
Professional Poster

Then I shall continue facing my fears. I'll try to develope a sense of no-mind in regards to combat.

#286698 - 09/20/06 11:54 AM Re: Motivation [Re: Stormdragon]
harlan Offline
Professional Poster

Loc: Amherst, MA
"Fear is the little 'mind-killer'." - Frank Herbert, Dune

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Action Ads
1.5 Million Plus Page Views
Monthly
Only $89
Details

Fight Videos
Night club fight footage and street fights captured with the world's first bouncer spy cam

How to Matrix!
Learn ten times faster with new training method. Learn entire arts for as little as $10 per disk.

Self Defense
Stun guns, pepper spray, Mace and self defense products. Alarms for personal and home use.

TASER MC26C
Stop An Urban Gorilla: Get 2 FREE TASER M26C Replacement Air Cartridges With Each New TASER M26C!

Unbreakable Unbrella

krav maga